Sponsored

Where's the Tinted Banner on the Windshield?

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64c.impala, 75mgb, 93D.Dakota, 00Jeep,14 QX70,22R1
Clubs

Has anyone noticed, realized or missed the tinted banner usually found on cars/trucks at the top of the front windshield missing on the R1T? Yes, thee is the visor, but a pain constantly moving it up and down as you're driving when just a little tint will do ya.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Never used the visor in my R1T and never felt like it was missing anything in that area.

I do wear polarized sunglasses during the day.

OP
OP

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I do wear polarized sunglasses during the day.
I don't wear polarized sunglasses. Got in to an accident when the sun hit at an angle and made the view go black on me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't wear polarized sunglasses. Got in to an accident when the sun hit at an angle and made the view go black on me.
How exactly does that work? I don't even know how that could happen.

Are you confusing polarized lenses for something else? Are you thinking of photochromic lenses? Like "transitions"?

OP
OP

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

no, when the sun comes in the side window behind the glasses it blacks out ie. polarized

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I've had the option to have a "top tinted" replacement winsheild on my current vehicle but declined because i've personally never really liked, nor found a need for one.

As @CommodoreAmiga touched on, I too use polarized glasses, which cut only glare by blocking horizontal light wavelengths (most often are from glare) while allowing in all others, they don't black out.

I think the glasses you were wearing at the time in your case may have been transition lenses, which are completely different and Photo-chromatic (lighten and darken based on incoming light)

Either way, you could just get a local detail shop to add a strip of tint to the inside of the windshield to solve your problem.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
How exactly does that work? I don't even know how that could happen.

Are you confusing polarized lenses for something else? Are you thinking of photochromic lenses? Like "transitions"?
This can only happen with two pieces of polarized glass/plastic in front of one another. so unless the car had polarized windows…

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This can only happen with two pieces of polarized glass/plastic in front of one another. so unless the car had polarized windows…
lol, right. And then it'd be black as soon as you got in the truck, rather than happening randomly while driving.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can't remember the last time I had a car with that tint strip at the top of the windshield. Perhaps that's more common on domestics?

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Can't remember the last time I had a car with that tint strip at the top of the windshield. Perhaps that's more common on domestics?
80's throwback haha

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
And even then they would have to have opposite polarization (one vertical, one horizontal) for that to happen.

Reminds me of the time I went round and round with an eye doctor because the lab they used for lenses made my prescription sunglasses with one lens with horizontal polarization and the other vertical. The BMW I was driving at the time had a TFT display that was also polarized. That meant I could read the display with one eye but not the other. Had the hardest time getting the eye doc to understand the problem but ultimately they had the lenses replaced and problem solved.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
And even then they would have to have opposite polarization (one vertical, one horizontal) for that to happen.

Reminds me of the time I went round and round with an eye doctor because the lab they used for lenses made my prescription sunglasses with one lens with horizontal polarization and the other vertical. The BMW I was driving at the time had a TFT display that was also polarized. That meant I could read the display with one eye but not the other. Had the hardest time getting the eye doc to understand the problem but ultimately they had the lenses replaced and problem solved.
Yeah, I couldn't read the "computer" (it barely qualified) screen in my '96 328 if wearing polarized glasses.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

i'm pretty sure because of this most of them are done at a 45 degree angle now - they will dim the display, but you need to tilt your head over one way or the other to make it go "black" - I suppose if you had some kind of polarized tint applied to your windshield and you tilted your head... it could be bad :D

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

At first I thought it was a joke based on the OP handle.
If it’s not a joke, I honestly haven’t seen a car with that darker tint at the top of the windshield in a million years.
Sponsored