Sponsored

When will Rivian admit that avoiding AA/Carplay is not about providing "better" UX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

https://www.instagram.com/stories/direct/3089643835920368357_6678353802/

I know the AA/CarPlay thing is beaten to death, but I can't stand this answer we keep getting. "We're not implementing this because we feel we can deliver a better user experience"

The problems with this are many...

1. It ignores the fact that this is one of THE most requested enhancements and disregards the very "customer satisfaction" they claim to be so concerned about delivering.
  2. It posits that there is only one possible option for the services provided. Meaning if they went the AA/CarPlay route there would be literally no reason or ability for them to continue improving their own systems and services. This is absolutely NOT the case. AA/CarPlay can be locked to their own window (not a full UI takeover) and all of the Rivian services can supplement the experience. Even his example about detailed range and navigation can still be in play alongside AA/CarPlay
  3. They effectively admit the experience today is NOT there. "We can deliver... We can build... ok, sure, but as of yet, you HAVE NOT. What value is there is giving customers a WORSE experience NOW, when it would be a low effort task to integrate AA/CarPlay and then let users decide when your experience IS better and switch? What possible negative consequence could there be to that...I wonder?
And that is why I feel it's hugely disingenuous. That question posed on point 3...

The real reason they are not going to do this integration is because from the very start, and all along the idea has ALWAYS been to supplement revenue with recurring software fees. Rivian "Membership". So if they let you use Waze... they cannot upcharge you $5 a month for the "advanced navigation package". They cannot upcharge you for "Advanced Audio Enhancements" or "Messaging Integration Enhancements" or whatever else they plan to artificially "gate" behind a paywall. They KNOW that if you have another option, that every user will just choose that and their forecasts for recurring revenue from existing owners will fall flat.

This is not, and never has been about "we can provide a better experience" and is entirely about "we need to CONTROL the experience" I wish we could just get an honest answer but that will never happen.

And no this doesn't change the fact that I am getting my R1S and it doesn't mean I "hate" Rivian or any other bullshit like that. It's just compounding frustration that ANYTHING and everything "software defined" is going this route and I'd rather they ALL just be upfront about how it's going to be and stop this coy act, it's insulting and tiresome.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

When will people accept that Rivian isn't going to do carplay?

This is not, and never has been about "we can provide a better experience" and is entirely about "we need to CONTROL the experience" I wish we could just get an honest answer but that will never happen.
The reverse is true. Apple is pushing auto manufacturers to give up the entire experience to them with the next generation of carplay. Why would any big automotive company even consider that?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm glad you find humor in trivial things. But I stand by my words.
Everyone has a right to an opinion on this forum and should be able to express that without your hostility.

If the threads make you so mad then there is an ignore button at the top.

Rivian R1T R1S When will Rivian admit that avoiding AA/Carplay is not about providing "better" UX? 1682536987788

Last edited:
OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

When will people accept that Rivian isn't going to do carplay?

The reverse is true. Apple is pushing auto manufacturers to give up the entire experience to them with the next generation of carplay. Why would any big automotive company even consider that?
I accept it and I'm AA camp here :D I just get tired of it being presented as something it's not

Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Will this topic ever die?

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Everyone has a right to an opinion on this forum and should be able to express that without your hostility.

If the threads make you so mad then their is an ignore button at the top.

1682536987788.png
Oh trust me. It's used frequently.

"I want CarPlay! Blah Blah Blah!" posts are getting really tiresome. Obviously, Rivian heard the message and is saying no. At this point, people need to either find an alternative or move on to a different car.

If there's a way to wholesale block/hide "CarPlay" posts here, I would.

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
I'm 100% in support of adding Carplay. If not, Rivian needs to get text messaging integrated as an app, add XM radio, and better phone integration with a display for favorites. I've only had my R1S for 6 days but I'm extremely disappointed with their infotainment

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

The point of this post isn't "Why aren't we going to get it" - it's about saying exactly why we WILL NOT - because without total control of the UX within the vehicle, Rivian will not be able to upcharge for features you can already get for free elsewhere - THAT is the point. Not "whaaaa I want AA/CarPlay!" - It's I want some actual HONESTY in the responses from Rivian

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
The point of this post isn't "Why aren't we going to get it" - it's about saying exactly why we WILL NOT - because without total control of the UX within the vehicle, Rivian will not be able to upcharge for features you can already get for free elsewhere - THAT is the point. Not "whaaaa I want AA/CarPlay!" - It's I want some actual HONESTY in the responses from Rivian
Have they announced any upcharge you claim?

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
Will this topic ever die?
Yeah - in the alternate reality when nobody wants it. Have you ever thought about *WHY* it hasn't died?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm 100% in support of adding Carplay. If not, Rivian needs to get text messaging integrated as an app, add XM radio, and better phone integration with a display for favorites. I've only had my R1S for 6 days but I'm extremely disappointed with their infotainment
They are testing the texting and it should be coming in an OTA this year. There are additional streaming options (possibly XM) in the works as well. These are based on the QA they had recently in Venice.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Status