Sponsored

Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So between off-roading, hitting corners hard in the lowest height setting with soft ride, and generally riviot driving styles, my wheels have bumped the wheel well covers a couple times and I've lost a few fasteners...

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost PXL_20220329_022746498

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost PXL_20220329_022725384

Anyone have suggestions on where to get new ones? I plan to check Lowes' random drawer in the screw aisle, then order a couple sizes from Amazon if I come up empty.
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Go on Amazon and bring up automotive plastic clips.

Brian

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

What leads you to believe the tires actually hit the top of the wheel wells? I don't see any evidence of scraping from a rotating tire.

If that actually happened, somebody at Rivian really messed up measuring the maximum compression of the suspension compared to the space above the tire. And if that is true we should all be very concerned about their basic engineering prowess.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
why go out of pocket? It’s brand new
Put in a service request with rivian. “these fasteners are missing, dunno what happened“. They should be pretty keen given the newness of the product and company.

with a regular car this would be a 30 minute in and out ”there we fixed it” thing.

My focus RS eats wheel well fasteners. Eventually the dealer gave me a big bag of the necessary fasteners, and used some alternative methods for reattachment ?

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
If you are able to pull a good one and provide a reference I can get you a part number. Not a rivian part number, just a generic but it’s not like it matters.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What leads you to believe the tires actually hit the top of the wheel wells? I don't see any evidence of scraping from a rotating tire.
Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost PXL_20220329_022725384~2

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost PXL_20220329_022746498~2

One of these things is not like the other...

If that actually happened, somebody at Rivian really messed up measuring the maximum compression of the suspension compared to the space above the tire. And if that is true we should all be very concerned about their basic engineering prowess.
Hmmmm I disagree. I was using the vehicle in a way they don't recommend, i.e. 30mph circling a small round about in lowest height and soft ride with 5 people... #CertifiedRiviot

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Go on Amazon and bring up automotive plastic clips.
Yep, that's what they look like, but bigger. I ordered the biggest I could find, let's see if they work...

why go out of pocket? It’s brand new
Put in a service request with rivian. “these fasteners are missing, dunno what happened“.
I think they need to automatically mail them based on driving history and location. "Hmm, he went offroading, circled that field a few times, then missed his turn over and over in the round about..."

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Just order them from the Rivian parts store... I'm sorry but this is still one of my biggest pet peeves why cant we order the parts for our own cars. They could do an online parts store with everything except the high voltage stuff I get not wanting us to touch that.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Replace with zip ties...I haven't seen anyone, er, anything break those yet.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
PXL_20220329_022725384~2.jpg

PXL_20220329_022746498~2.jpg

One of these things is not like the other...

Hmmmm I disagree. I was using the vehicle in a way they don't recommend, i.e. 30mph circling a small round about in lowest height and soft ride with 5 people... #CertifiedRiviot
The one with no damage to the liner is the one missing the clips. Maybe it's better without clips.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I was using the vehicle in a way they don't recommend, i.e. 30mph circling a small round about in lowest height and soft ride with 5 people... #CertifiedRiviot
Putting Riviot on my “do not buy second hand from” list…

The one with no damage to the liner is the one missing the clips. Maybe it's better without clips.
Agree. I’d wager they forgot to install these at the factory. This clips don’t just fall out, they need to be pryed out. As seen in the other photo, tire rubbing doesn’t contact that higher part of wheel well, so they weren’t ripped out by a tire.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Update!

Neither clip I bought worked. It's definitely hella wide. I'm contacting my guide to ask if he can find out what size fits. I assume he'll just have some sent to me, but I don't want to be the annoying guy saying "I just paid $84k for your car and deserve to be treated like royalty!" ...Even though I do ??

These are the sizes I got.
Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost Screenshot_20220330-172300~2

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel well fasteners bumped and lost Screenshot_20220330-172314~2

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i doubt they fell out. ask other owners to take a look at that same spot and see if there are clips there or not.
Sponsored