Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
From the hub at Venice. 20x8.5 et 48
Bolt pattern 5x5.5”

I don’t know the center bore

ram wheels do come in 20 and 22 with this bolt pattern but et closer to 28, so might work but wheel will stick out and widen the track

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel specs 2656DC80-B26B-4573-8A6D-CCCE829279B8
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I just wish that they were close up and detailed pics of each of the rim choices. They are just too small on the website

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Is there any info on weight? I'd love to know the difference between the 2 20" wheel options.

OP
OP

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
I don’t know. The rep at the Venice Hub, had the bolt pattern specs, but did not know the offset until we looked at it.
If you want the 20s and need range, I’d change the tire to an all season in 275/60/20 this is about 33” tall, same as the 21 and 22. The all terrain 275/65/20 is 34” tall,

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I'll be interested once we get the backspacing etc to see if we can mount smaller wheels over those massive brake calipers.

I think my ideal set up would be 18" wheels with 275/65 R18 AT tires but I am not sure you will have the space for an 18" wheel.

OP
OP

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
I'll be interested once we get the backspacing etc to see if we can mount smaller wheels over those massive brake calipers.

I think my ideal set up would be 18" wheels with 275/65 R18 AT tires but I am not sure you will have the space for an 18" wheel.
I said above the offset is et48

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Needs to be confirmed against production spec but I believe Rivian stated quite some time ago that a 20" wheel is required to clear the brakes. Given the benefits of having more sidewall for the intended off-road usage, I can't see them not offering something smaller than 20" if it would fit.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Needs to be confirmed against production spec but I believe Rivian stated quite some time ago that a 20" wheel is required to clear the brakes. Given the benefits of having more sidewall for the intended off-road usage, I can't see them not offering something smaller than 20" if it would fit.
That's not particularly surprising considering how massive those calipers are, but it does make me sad because there are some really great options in the 17x8.5" size that would look great and provide much more sidewall on 34s.

OP
OP

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver

if an 18” fits, the tire would be 275/75/18 to be about 34” tall. But that size does not exist. 285/70/18 could be a good fit.

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel specs CA166B89-6AF2-4338-B9DF-096BED6BB84B

Sponsored

BenKitesurfs

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
Occupation
Engineer
From the hub at Venice. 20x8.5 et 48
Bolt pattern 5x5.5”

I don’t know the center bore

ram wheels do come in 20 and 22 with this bolt pattern but et closer to 28, so might work but wheel will stick out and widen the track

2656DC80-B26B-4573-8A6D-CCCE829279B8.jpeg
It seems crazy that a 7000 lb truck with 900 ft-lbs of torque has a 5 lug hub?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
It seems crazy that a 7000 lb truck with 900 ft-lbs of torque has a 5 lug hub?
1000 HP F-1 only have one lug nut, and even NASCAR, notorious for leaving a nut off to save time, is switching to a single nut, more expensive though it may be because of material requirements. The weight of the vehicle (magnified appropriately from the g-force experienced during application of torque) is transferred to the wheel primarily due to the friction present between the facings of the nut and the bolt, due to the tension from the tightening of the lug nuts. Three lug nuts evenly around the circle are enough to hold two planes together, but lose just one and there's an issue, hence the rise of four nut wheels. When alloy wheels became popular there was a rise in accidents due to wheel loss, attributed eventually to the fact that stiffer alloy wheels transmitted more instantaneous force to a given lug (against the nut tension) versus more pliant cast wheels that spread load out more, and the easiest fix was to add an additional lug and nut combo to get the total to five. Like anything with a for-sale tag on it though, marketing plays a significant part, and many cars have five nuts instead of four to "look" more aggressive (for those that notice such things), and it's a cheap enough difference anyway. Anything under 10,000 lbs GVW is considered light-duty, and anything over five lugs is mostly marketing if the wheel and nut combo is properly engineered (and fastened!).

BenKitesurfs

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
Occupation
Engineer
1000 HP F-1 only have one lug nut, and even NASCAR, notorious for leaving a nut off to save time, is switching to a single nut, more expensive though it may be because of material requirements. The weight of the vehicle (magnified appropriately from the g-force experienced during application of torque) is transferred to the wheel primarily due to the friction present between the facings of the nut and the bolt, due to the tension from the tightening of the lug nuts. Three lug nuts evenly around the circle are enough to hold two planes together, but lose just one and there's an issue, hence the rise of four nut wheels. When alloy wheels became popular there was a rise in accidents due to wheel loss, attributed eventually to the fact that stiffer alloy wheels transmitted more instantaneous force to a given lug (against the nut tension) versus more pliant cast wheels that spread load out more, and the easiest fix was to add an additional lug and nut combo to get the total to five. Like anything with a for-sale tag on it though, marketing plays a significant part, and many cars have five nuts instead of four to "look" more aggressive (for those that notice such things), and it's a cheap enough difference anyway. Anything under 10,000 lbs GVW is considered light-duty, and anything over five lugs is mostly marketing if the wheel and nut combo is properly engineered (and fastened!).
Makes sense. I’m just used to seeing many more lugs on larger trucks. My Tacoma has 6, and some 2500 and 3500 trucks have 8, and most of them don’t weigh as much as the Rivian, nor have as much power.
Sponsored