_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

can anyone confirm if the R1's come with wheel locks? if they don't, can anyone who's taken delivery check at their local auto parts store the size needed for lugs for the R1's ? if anyone has any info on this please post... thanks.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
No wheel locks and wheel locks are largely useless anyway.

Lug nuts are likely cone seat M14x1.5.

Check with mcgard.

OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

No wheel locks and wheel locks are largely useless anyway.

Lug nuts are likely cone seat M14x1.5.

Check with mcgard.
I somewhat agree that they are useless if someone really wants your wheels, but they are a deterrent, and my insurance company will not cover wheels that dont have locks, so I wanted to have a heads up in it since rivian is already using non standard wheel size I was hoping thats not the case with wheels studs, I had checked mcgard and they dont have the R1's listed yet.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I somewhat agree that they are useless if someone really wants your wheels, but they are a deterrent, and my insurance company will not cover wheels that dont have locks, so I wanted to have a heads up in it since rivian is already using non standard wheel size I was hoping thats not the case with wheels studs, I had checked mcgard and they dont have the R1's listed yet.
that’s interesting about your insurance, since wheel locks are laughably easy to defeat.

Try phoning or emailing mcgard vs looking on their website. They’re pretty responsive.

Gorilla also makes good lug nuts.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you’re doing it to meet a silly insurance requirement, then okay. But they really aren’t even a deterrent. Honestly, I think they frustrate legitimate shops/owners more than theives.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
A "master set" of lug nut lock removal keys is not expensive ($100?) and common. I used to have a shop … customers would deliver their cars without the lock socket or had lost it or didn't know what we were talking about. We'd charge them to remove the locking lugs and fit normal lugs or replace with a set of locking lugs with the factory key. But to get started on the work, we'd just remove the locking lugs with a master set or in some cases, especially if the wheels didn't require a thin wall socket, a "gator grip" universal socket. As with most locks, it's almost quicker to use the lock-picking method than the key. All that said, I like the deterrent factor, especially if you live in a city with a wheel theft problem.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I guess that’s one downside of ordering online. You don’t get those $500 wheel locks the dealerships sneak in to the final price of your vehicle that are “already installed” and can’t be sold without them ?. Kidding of course. I hate dealerships and their hidden fees.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

A "master set" of lug nut lock removal keys is not expensive ($100?) and common. I used to have a shop … customers would deliver their cars without the lock socket or had lost it or didn't know what we were talking about. We'd charge them to remove the locking lugs and fit normal lugs or replace with a set of locking lugs with the factory key. But to get started on the work, we'd just remove the locking lugs with a master set or in some cases, especially if the wheels didn't require a thin wall socket, a "gator grip" universal socket. As with most locks, it's almost quicker to use the lock-picking method than the key. All that said, I like the deterrent factor, especially if you live in a city with a wheel theft problem.
LA has been on the rise with tesla wheels and tires getting stolen. =(
Sponsored