Sponsored

What is your preferred tire/wheel and trim combination?

• Total voters

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
In general, I think the 20” dark looks best on the R1T and the 22” looks best on the R1S. However, how you plan to use the vehicle should also weigh heavily on the decision. If you plan to be offroad much or tow a heavier trailer, then the 20” are almost a necessity. If it’s a mall queen or you want the best on-road performance, then 22” will fit the need. Personally, I’d shy away from the 21” just because it’s currently a size exclusive to Rivian which will mean more cost and less options when you go to replace them. I doubt the energy efficiency difference between the 21” and 22” will be more than 5%.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
@Lmirafuente pretty sure your top pic is of the 20" being offered on the R1T which is different from the 20" being offered on the R1S (although the styles have been used interchangeably in various Rivian pics over time - edit: I also just noticed the newly offered 20" dark wheel is the same for both R1S and R1T and of the same style as your 3rd pic). The 21" wheel has not appeared at any of the events to date.

EDIT: here's the 21" with and without insert
wheel_21_insert.png
Agreed, I didn’t have the pic for the R1S

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
In general, I think the 20” dark looks best on the R1T and the 22” looks best on the R1S. However, how you plan to use the vehicle should also weigh heavily on the decision. If you plan to be offroad much or tow a heavier trailer, then the 20” are almost a necessity. If it’s a mall queen or you want the best on-road performance, then 22” will fit the need. Personally, I’d shy away from the 21” just because it’s currently a size exclusive to Rivian which will mean more cost and less options when you go to replace them. I doubt the energy efficiency difference between the 21” and 22” will be more than 5%.
I may buy the 20” as a second set for off-roading and winter driving....

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My concern with the 22" is range...21's w/ inserts even at 5% is a big deal for me @ 15+ miles. The unique tire size does not really bother me unless the specific perellis have issues - I guess that is a risk, but hopefully Rivian put them through some testing. Cost does not really bother me in that over a few years couple hundred bucks is negligible as far as I am concerned.

I am going to be on dry pavement 90% of the time, maybe snow 5% or less. Offroad offroad, like rock crawling, basically never

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I am notifying everyone here that I am going to need your help picking out aftermarket wheels for my R1T Launch Edition.
I currently have 20" AT wheels selected because I don't expect delivery till fall at the latest and I need to deal with snow here in Wisconsin. I also like the design of the 20s.
I am going to want performance tires for the 3 months we don't have winter ;) With all this torque and HP I want to be able to use it!

Here are my options as I see it
  1. Just drive on AT or all seasons year round and take the range hit.
  2. Buy summer 20" tires and swap on my 20"rims
  3. Buy spare Rivian 22" wheel and tires from Rivian. Likely $$$$$
  4. Buy spare aftermarket summer rims (20" or 22") and tires.
    1. This has issues of cost and dealing with the weight of the vehicle and range.

Here is the ask, we have the bolt pattern but no idea on offset and other fitment issues such as weight and rolling resistance. But when we do, I would love to hear from the hive-mind what are some cool and performant options.

Anybody else have these questions? Other ideas?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I am notifying everyone here that I am going to need your help picking out aftermarket wheels for my R1T Launch Edition.
I currently have 20" AT wheels selected because I don't expect delivery till fall at the latest and I need to deal with snow here in Wisconsin. I also like the design of the 20s.
I am going to want performance tires for the 3 months we don't have winter ;) With all this torque and HP I want to be able to use it!

Here are my options as I see it
  1. Just drive on AT or all seasons year round and take the range hit.
  2. Buy summer 20" tires and swap on my 20"rims
  3. Buy spare Rivian 22" wheel and tires from Rivian. Likely $$$$$
  4. Buy spare aftermarket summer rims (20" or 22") and tires.
    1. This has issues of cost and dealing with the weight of the vehicle and range.

Here is the ask, we have the bolt pattern but no idea on offset and other fitment issues such as weight and rolling resistance. But when we do, I would love to hear from the hive-mind what are some cool and performant options.

Anybody else have these questions? Other ideas?
IMO, stick with 20" wheels but consider moving to an All Season either permanently or for summer. I don't think you'll find a true soft compound performance tire that will support the weight needed in either 20" or 22".

If handling and possibly range/efficiency is your goal, there are a number of All Season options in 275/60R20, which is basically the same ~33" diameter as the factory tire options for the 21 & 22" wheels...
Sponsored