BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
So we heard from a fellow forum member that spoke to their Guide today that:
2. Color and wheel selection will affect production window. Guides aren't sure by how much, but it will be a consideration.

based on this comment I have a theory that if someone configures the 21” rim with the P275/55R21, your delivery may be delayed. This is because Rivian stated that they partnered with Pirelli and the tire size is new and specific for Rivian. I went on Tire Rack and saw the same fact.

Rivian R1T R1S Wheel and color selection will affect your Rivian production / delivery timing - says Guide 9EF0D5A3-2062-4F95-AEFE-2A3A7948ADC0

Fortunately, the 20” option has been around for years and there are 40 choices available in P275/65R20. The 22” size has been around less but at least there are 8 choices available in the P275/50R22, including the specific Pirelli Scorpion.

Did anyone that got contacted by a Guide configure the 21” option? It’s difficult to roll trucks off the assembly line without plenty of tires.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So we heard from a fellow forum member that spoke to their Guide today that:
2. Color and wheel selection will affect production window. Guides aren't sure by how much, but it will be a consideration.

based on this comment I have a theory that if someone configures the 21” rim with the P275/55R21, your delivery may be delayed. This is because Rivian stated that they partnered with Pirelli and the tire size is new and specific for Rivian. I went on Tire Rack and saw the same fact.
9EF0D5A3-2062-4F95-AEFE-2A3A7948ADC0.png

Fortunately, the 20” option has been around for years and there are 40 choices available in P275/65R20. The 22” size has been around less but at least there are 8 choices available in the P275/50R22, including the specific Pirelli Scorpion.
Did anyone that got contacted by a Guide configure the 21” option? It’s difficult to roll trucks off the assembly line without plenty of tires.
It's not just the 21", none of the RIV Elec spec tires are available anywhere outside of Rivian's supply from Pirelli and they won't be shipping from the factory with any other tire.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't think it's relevant that you can't buy Rivian tires on Tire Rack. There's no reason for them to stock a tire for a vehicle that hasn't even started production yet. I'm sure Rivian has a supply lined up. The only question is are any sizes delayed?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I read that it was the black wheels that were delayed, rather than tire size.

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
Here's a secret you probably don't know. TIre Rack also stocks tires for private parties not shown as available to the public. When I had a Porsche, the OEM tires were a special Porsche-exclusive variant, and my local Porsche dealer was able to have them overnighted from Tire Rack's private stock dedicated just for the dealer network. Not suggesting that they're doing this w/ Rivian, but you can't draw conclusions from the lack of 21" Scorpion inventory there.

Sponsored

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
If the tire and wheel selection is an issue, I hope that Rivian guides will still contact those with a delayed configuration and give them the option to modify their wheel selection. Paint and interior is one thing but changing wheels is pretty easy and shouldn’t hold up delivery, but maybe I’m missing something.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
If the tire and wheel selection is an issue, I hope that Rivian guides will still contact those with a delayed configuration and give them the option to modify their wheel selection. Paint and interior is one thing but changing wheels is pretty easy and shouldn’t hold up delivery, but maybe I’m missing something.
My understanding is that your current config is what places you in the mix for contact. They aren't calling from the top of the list and asking if people want to change to a config that will get them a vehicle sooner.

As to the wheel selection impact, if they don't have the selected wheel from their supplier, they can't deliver the vehicle.

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot
Do we really know this is true? Seems like a lot of speculation based on a small set of experiences. Having it's own thread makes it seem like this is a true and factual statement.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do we really know this is true? Seems like a lot of speculation based on a small set of experiences. Having it's own thread makes it seem like this is a true and factual statement.
It may not be the case, but my Guide specifically mentioned wheel choice as a factor. Just out of curiosity, what wheel do you have selected @AdamL?

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that RIVIAN offers a 22inch wheel with the PIRELLI 325x40x22 SCORPION TIRE. That's a big tire!
"Downside lots of rubber on the ground for reduced range under regular travel.
Upsided range is increases with a larger diameter tire and wheel when on the Highway!

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
Depending on how impressed I am with my new RIVIAN, I may be looking for 22 to 24 inch light weight aftermarket wheels that will improve both look and performance!
Sponsored