First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that RIVIAN offers a 22inch wheel with the PIRELLI 325x40x22 SCORPION TIRE. That's a big tire!
"Downside lots of rubber on the ground for reduced range under regular travel.
Upsided range is increases with a larger diameter tire and wheel when on the Highway!
Pretty sure I saw the 22” option is a 275/50 (in fact they’re all 275 section) … 325 is massive, and a would have to be a non-square setup …
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that RIVIAN offers a 22inch wheel with the PIRELLI 325x40x22 SCORPION TIRE.
275/50 R22

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I love dark wheels, but won't pay what Rivian is asking for them.

You can literally have the non-dark wheels powder coated for $150 per wheel. You could also customize with something other than black, go matte, etc.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
So we heard from a fellow forum member that spoke to their Guide today that:
2. Color and wheel selection will affect production window. Guides aren't sure by how much, but it will be a consideration.

based on this comment I have a theory that if someone configures the 21” rim with the P275/55R21, your delivery may be delayed. This is because Rivian stated that they partnered with Pirelli and the tire size is new and specific for Rivian. I went on Tire Rack and saw the same fact.

9EF0D5A3-2062-4F95-AEFE-2A3A7948ADC0.png

Fortunately, the 20” option has been around for years and there are 40 choices available in P275/65R20. The 22” size has been around less but at least there are 8 choices available in the P275/50R22, including the specific Pirelli Scorpion.

Did anyone that got contacted by a Guide configure the 21” option? It’s difficult to roll trucks off the assembly line without plenty of tires.
Specifically it is difficult to ROLL even one truck off the line without at least 4 tires.
I doubt if Rivian is supply constrained by tires, they may have logistical challenges figuring out what wheel/tires they will need but that is 100% of their own making.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
Pretty sure I saw the 22” option is a 275/50 (in fact they’re all 275 section) … 325 is massive, and a would have to be a non-square setup …
325 is good. I have 325/65r18’s sitting in my shed from my Ram 2500. I know, they’ll never fit. ?

Sponsored

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I love dark wheels, but won't pay what Rivian is asking for them.

You can literally have the non-dark wheels powder coated for $150 per wheel. You could also customize with something other than black, go matte, etc.
Good info I would love mine white or chrome dip
But will probably leave them alone
May get another set of rims with lockers & paddles for Glamis

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

After hitting a pothole in my 2013 Ford F-150 Limited resulting in an unusable flat Pirelli Scorpion rear tire on a bent 22"x9" rim ($1,750 OEM), I will NEVER buy another low profile 22"+ rim on a truck AGAIN!
Thankfully, I discovered *The Rim Doctor* who fixed it for $110 so well that the Firestone tire guy couldn't even tell me which rim that I had bent afterwards!

That said, don't EVER try to take a 22"+ rim/low profile tire off the pavement and/or drive it in the SNOW! #NeverAgain

Depending on how impressed I am with my new RIVIAN, I may be looking for 22 to 24 inch light weight aftermarket wheels that will improve both look and performance!

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
I apologize for posting the incorrect information about the 22inch tire that RIVIAN offers, although I am a fan of good performing sport wheels and tires. With being said, I have decided to stay with my preordered 22inch wheel and tire set, but may still purchase aftermarket wheels and tires. I'll ask my fellow RIVIAN comrades to stay posted as I will probably offer my preordered 22inch wheel and tire set for sale probably around $1,000.00.

Sponsored

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
So you ask what size tire would I be considering; a 305x45x22 offers less revolution per mile than the 275x50x22 offered by RIVIAN. This relates to greater range.

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I apologize for posting the incorrect information about the 22inch tire that RIVIAN offers, although I am a fan of good performing sport wheels and tires. With being said, I have decided to stay with my preordered 22inch wheel and tire set, but may still purchase aftermarket wheels and tires. I'll ask my fellow RIVIAN comrades to stay posted as I will probably offer my preordered 22inch wheel and tire set for sale probably around $1,000.00.
What State are you in?
I might be interested

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I would have switched to the 20 inch AT wheels if I knew the EPA ratings were close to the range of the 21 inch wheels. We all know 21 is an odd size, but have been banking on the 21 inch having the greatest range, maybe by 20-30 miles, we just don't know until they tell us. If 21 inch wheels are the holdup, I would have been better to configure the 20 inch AT, then change my mind when the Guide makes contact based on actual EPA ratings. Who really knows...may be too late to make any changes, so probably will just leave as is...

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I would have switched to the 20 inch AT wheels if I knew the EPA ratings were close to the range of the 21 inch wheels. We all know 21 is an odd size, but have been banking on the 21 inch having the greatest range, maybe by 20-30 miles, we just don't know until they tell us. If 21 inch wheels are the holdup, I would have been better to configure the 20 inch AT, then change my mind when the Guide makes contact based on actual EPA ratings. Who really knows...may be too late to make any changes, so probably will just leave as is...
As a EV owner you seem to be very concerned about a few miles
This is my first EV
This by nature is not a high mileage EV it's a box I am not purchasing it to expect high mileage I'm getting it to go offroad and have a Versatile EV
I had a DREAM in 2000 to have a electric truck for my pool business
It was impractical and expensive but that is how long I have been wanting a Electric Truck
Is it that important to get a few extra miles by getting the 21" tires?
For me I would rather have the offroad performance that a 20" tires will bring
This is going to be a learning experience for many of us
But you guys with EV experience please put in your 2 cents
Though this is a whole new world
Never has there been a highly capable off-road EV
So I guess that even puts you previous owners in a different category
I just spoke to a brand new Mach-E owner we were in Flagstaff and he was From California and he said to me he Is surprised at the amount of chargers
So that gives me great hope
Sponsored