Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
IMG_4739.jpeg

Rivian IG dm earlier from the photo of inside one of their vehicles yesterday.
🤔
This one? Owner of photo posted in r/rivian, it's his R1. People read too much into it.

Its interesting that so many posts implies/wants R2 capability above and beyond the R1 Flagship vehicles for Rivian at the half of the price.

Some of the wants probably will make it in the 2nd gen R1, then followed by R2 thereafter.
Yep. Uninformed and unrealistic expectations.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Its interesting that so many posts implies/wants R2 capability above and beyond the R1 Flagship vehicles for Rivian at the half of the price.
And yet technology progresses or Rivian will get left behind.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

And yet technology progresses or Rivian will get left behind.
Steve Jobs used to say that technology only appears to move fast, but it really doesn't (I'm paraphrasing).

Clearly these things will happen - no argument. It's the timing and market placement for product lines that I'm speaking of. Nothing to do with being left behind. There's the cost benefit tradeoffs too, for the manufacturers.

Most of those things will be introduced within the next 5 years and it's a question of when will Rivian update the R1, such that R2 won't overtake R1's capabilities. Just take a look at Tesla. They are very careful not to let the Y and 3 overtake the X and S.

The real game changer will be the solid state battery with much higher energy density. That technology is much closer than most people believe...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It's really not that uncommon for companies to have a flagship model that is less capable in some ways than a newer model while still being overall a more capable, feature-rich product. Tesla, for example, updated some of the tech in the Model 3 and then Model Y several years before some of it made it into the Model S refreshes.

Rivian has actually been pretty clear with their roadmap discussions that the R2 will include new tech. They have not similarly been clear on the timeline for when the R1 models will get that same new tech. It might be at the end of the this year. It might be 2025. It might even be after the R2 is in production.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It's really not that uncommon for companies to have a flagship model that is less capable in some ways than a newer model while still being overall a more capable, feature-rich product. Tesla, for example, updated some of the tech in the Model 3 and then Model Y several years before some of it made it into the Model S refreshes.

Rivian has actually been pretty clear with their roadmap discussions that the R2 will include new tech. They have not similarly been clear on the timeline for when the R1 models will get that same new tech. It might be at the end of the this year. It might be 2025. It might even be after the R2 is in production.
"Newer tech" and "feature-rich". They are two different things. Flagships are called that for a reason. RJ has said repeatedly: R1 series is and will be the feature-rich flagship platform for the brand. Tech is ever revolving and not always advancing at constant pace. Newer products will always benefit from newer advances in tech; i.e. 800V and network based architecture featuring fewer CPUs. That doesn't mean R2 will be as or more feature-rich as the R1. It also doesn't mean the R1 will remain in its current state forever. It too will receive future tech updates as well (which has already been announced with no specific set date).

A lower price point product line will never be as feature-rich as the flagship line. Otherwise, it would miss the lower price target.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I think it would be useful to define the goals of the R2. I don't know if anyone has actually done that. If you want to minimize price, you would drop all the luxury stuff. Right now, Rivian is synonymous with luxury. A stripped-down Rivian would also be more in keeping with the rugged, "adventure" theme. The R1 claims to be rugged but really isn't. Or the R2 could be a compact, lighter(?) size, but packed with luxury, like a compact BMW. It wouldn't be that inexpensive. I suspect that in spite of all the talk, the R2 won't be what you call "affordable". Just smaller.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think it would be useful to define the goals of the R2. I don't know if anyone has actually done that. If you want to minimize price, you would drop all the luxury stuff. Right now, Rivian is synonymous with luxury. A stripped-down Rivian would also be more in keeping with the rugged, "adventure" theme. The R1 claims to be rugged but really isn't. Or the R2 could be a compact, lighter(?) size, but packed with luxury, like a compact BMW. It wouldn't be that inexpensive. I suspect that in spite of all the talk, the R2 won't be what you call "affordable". Just smaller.
I agree. Very similar to what LR did with the RR and defender, in the old days. The RR was the baller car and the defender the farmer's. I'd love to see a very utilitarian R2.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I really, really hope Rivian knows how tremendously important it is to keep the price of the R2 low reasonable.

We constantly hear non-EV owners say "but it takes so long to charge, etc.." as a barrier to ownership, but even more prominent is "they're just sooo expensive" complaint.

If, if Rivian can come in at $49K (well well equipped, not a striped down FWD model) or under and have it qualify for the $7.5K Fed Tax Credit they will have a winner!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

My R2 Predictions

- Coil suspension
- Same cross linked hydraulic roll control from R1
- Long shot but same Monroe suspension with adjustable dampers
- 800V architecture *this is 100% likely, as it saves them money on wiring etc
- 2 rows
- front screens retained, rear screen ditched
- Similar interior design language
- Similar frunk to the R1 series

Optional equipment
- Off-road tires/skid plate
- Larger battery
- Increased performance
- Single motor rear Standard
- Dual motor front/rear Optional
- Increase in speaker count
- Panoramic glass roof

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

3 R2 variants. 1. A Bronco Sport-sized boxy SUV. 2. A Pickup slotted into the Maverick sector. 3. A Fastback sleek SUV in the Rangle Rover Evoque sector. First out of the gate should be the Bronco Sport competitor at $59k for dual motor AWD and $49k for single motor rear wheel drive. All 300 miles+ range battery size rating. And then perhaps even a $45k variant with a smaller 240-mile battery pack.
Someone must have listened to the "Out of Spec" podcast on Wednesday.......LOLOL. I do agree with your comments, they need to open the market with a more affordable option and I think the sweet spot is the $45 to 60k range.

They can ditch the wood interior for sure. Make the camp speaker and option (have used ours ZERO times than to show people). Add more knobs for certain things like radio/infotainment volume, AC/Heat, and ditch the electronic vent control. I think they can and should make things options so people can customize it the way they want.

Sponsored

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Another feature they can get rid of is the glass roof. I don't ever look up and enjoy the sky while I'm driving. The glass roof is totally wasted on me. I wonder how much it adds to the price of the R1.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Another feature they can get rid of is the glass roof. I don't ever look up and enjoy the sky while I'm driving. The glass roof is totally wasted on me. I wonder how much it adds to the price of the R1.
Probably would not be cheaper.

When Tesla went with the glass roof on their cars it was a cost saving move for the manufacturing process. It also had an added benefit of adding a small amount of additional head room and a quieter cabin.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Except that half the vehicles sold as suvs are basically sedans, including all of the EV suvs except R1S.
Exactly. And that's apparently where the money is. Something people can tell themselves is an SUV but is really a squat hatchback (with good aero for longer range).

I'm a cynic and I'm predicting Rivian to follow their DNA. I am not talking about Adventure Vehicle stuff, that is marketing and branding they put on top because it's working for them at the moment. Rivian's DNA is:
* Always make the financially savvy move
* Own and control everything about the vehicle, don't consider the possibility of 3rd party mods
* Heavy reliance on software

I would be excited to see something like an EV Bronco but I would not be surprised if we get a slightly bigger Model Y. And not surprised if there is more emphasis on the interior and software features than off road performance.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Exactly. And that's apparently where the money is. Something people can tell themselves is an SUV but is really a squat hatchback (with good aero for longer range).

I'm a cynic and I'm predicting Rivian to follow their DNA. I am not talking about Adventure Vehicle stuff, that is marketing and branding they put on top because it's working for them at the moment. Rivian's DNA is:
* Own and control everything about the vehicle, don't consider the possibility of 3rd party mods
* Heavy reliance on software

I would be excited to see something like an EV Bronco but I would not be surprised if we get a slightly bigger Model Y. And not surprised if there is more emphasis on the interior and software features than off road performance.
The financially savvy move would be something like an EV Bronco rather than a direct competitor to the Model Y. They have much better opportunity for differentiation with their more traditional SUV design language than if they go with a slightly raised sedan with a little extra driver headroom.
Sponsored