Sponsored

What's the point of PDI?

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Maybe mine is an isolated case, but what does the SC do during PDI (or what are they supposed to be checking)? My S sat at the SC for a week and a half supposedly after PDI while waiting for delivery. At delivery, scheduled for 11:00, we look out to see a team of 4-5 guys walking around the car, looking at exterior stuff, bringing in other employees to look at spots, getting in/out etc. At 11:20 a guy comes in and says it's ready, but that there's a pretty sizable paint chip on the rear lift gate and I'll need to bring it back to fix. Shouldn't they have noticed that before, say, during the PDI?? Also, the charge door clearly has always rubbed the fender as there is already a rub mark. Clear coat snot splotches down both sides of the black trim above the doors, passenger fender sticking out over a 1/2" by the rear view mirror, a gap between the hatch and the chrome strip so big I can stick my ring finger in. Other stuff too, but my point isn't about build quality per se, but what are they supposed to be looking at during PDI? Basic functionality (ie. no error codes, operational components) or cosmetics as well? You'd think if they did an actual PDI beforehand they would've caught this stuff, and not rushed at the time of delivery.
Sponsored

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
Maybe mine is an isolated case, but what does the SC do during PDI (or what are they supposed to be checking)? My S sat at the SC for a week and a half supposedly after PDI while waiting for delivery. At delivery, scheduled for 11:00, we look out to see a team of 4-5 guys walking around the car, looking at exterior stuff, bringing in other employees to look at spots, getting in/out etc. At 11:20 a guy comes in and says it's ready, but that there's a pretty sizable paint chip on the rear lift gate and I'll need to bring it back to fix. Shouldn't they have noticed that before, say, during the PDI?? Also, the charge door clearly has always rubbed the fender as there is already a rub mark. Clear coat snot splotches down both sides of the black trim above the doors, passenger fender sticking out over a 1/2" by the rear view mirror, a gap between the hatch and the chrome strip so big I can stick my ring finger in. Other stuff too, but my point isn't about build quality per se, but what are they supposed to be looking at during PDI? Basic functionality (ie. no error codes, operational components) or cosmetics as well? You'd think if they did an actual PDI beforehand they would've caught this stuff, and not rushed at the time of delivery.
I don't know what all the PDI process entails for Rivian... but in my high school days I worked as a lot rat at a Chevy/Geo/Isuzu dealer and I did a lot of PDIs with the techs. For those brands PDI is "final assembly of the little things", like removing plastic wrap, adding a few bits here and there that are not shipped attached from the factory (roof racks, license plate mounts, wheel center caps, floor mats etc). We would then go for a short drive and test the basic function of the car (stopping from 30mph, turning each direction, etc) and add a few gallons of fuel. There is a checklist from the factory that you need to go through. Yes, there might have been something on there looking for major paint flaws, but we were not going over the paint looking for little things. PDI was getting the car off the transport and making it lot-ready. So, it is possible they went through the PDI process, even found a few things that needed adjusting/fixed during that week. Then... they decided to do a once-over on the paint before releasing the car. Again, I can't speak for Rivian... but that was how it worked a long time ago when I was prep'ing Geo Storms and z28s for the lot.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I had a terrible experience with the delivery experience specifically with the many obvious issues and quality problems. I believe Helen Keller came back from the dead to inspect my vehicle before delivery.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I think my R1T was PDI’d by Stevie Wonder.

I found numerous body panel fitment issues upon delivery. The entire drivers side had wonky panel alignment. It took my local SC two days to align all of the panels back to Rivian assembly tolerances.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It really depends on who you get. Both cosmetic and mechanical issues were discovered in my PDI before delivery and fixed before I got the truck.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

I had lots of issues with delivery also which delayed delivery for another week. for me the worst of it was car had no alignment. no one drove it I guess before delivering.

Z16DNA

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, '04 Corvette ZO6
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

Geezzz, I thought, or was led to believe, that my horrible delivery experience on 5/26 was just me. My SC Agent was very good, attentive, and worked hard to document the obvious manufacturing defects, that easily should have been caught at any/all PDI's. I spec no plate bracket on the front; walking up to vehicle delivery, bracket clearly installed. SC Agent double checked computer, and yup sure enough says no bracket. Passenger side rear lower bumper wasn't attached. Scratches, that looked like claw marks inside drivers side rear hatch. Drivers side black roof trim must have been damaged, someone tired to repair. Left polish compound inside channels and ground the black paint down to the primer. Big gray spot; so obvious. Inside sunroof ceiling trim just not glued in place. All very easy issues to spot and should have been repaired before I was called to pick up vehicle.
Worse part was I think he was the SC manager? no idea cause he never introduced himself, came out and informed me that he was "Sorry that the vehicle didn't meet my standards", in fact he said this many, many times. I asked him if it met his standards? He wouldn't answer. Then he said, "well this isn't your vehicle now, we'll get you another one" I asked if new one would also come in same condition? He wouldn't answer. So I left, didn't accept delivery. On way home my Rivian Guide called, she's very attentive and apologized for my experience. They are currently repairing the vehicle, I'm to check on the statues 6/9. I've waited 4 years for this order; I hope they finish it soon, and all is corrected. I'm very disappointed right now; hopefully all will be well soon. A little attention to detail and customer service goes a long ways. I will say the engineering and design is just amazing; failure is in the execution.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
I have some strong opinions on Rivian’s PDI process. Ultimately I do feel bad for the SCs as I think the factory is pushing a lot of the QC that should happen there onto the SCs. They could have their process significantly improved but I don’t believe they’re getting the support from corporate to do so.

Without exposing too much of my personal experience, let’s just say it felt like the bare minimum was done at each stage, which caused our delivery to slip a couple of times (ultimately by a week and a half). Ex: Rather than doing a full PDI, aggregating a list of issues then having them all done at once, they went from largest to smallest with a pause in between, so after the first issue was fixed they had to then reinspect to find the next issue and so on.

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
While I don’t know if my R1T came out of Normal as it should have or if the Orlando SC did their job, but I picked up my truck on Friday 6/1 and haven’t found an issue yet. ito is too bad there isn’t better consistency with this.
Sponsored