Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It is a good idea whether it has been discussed here or not. Tesla vehicles do have it but not everyone who reads this forum owns a Tesla. Tesla also has a "dog mode" which keeps the car cool enough for your pooch(es) when parked in hot weather and displays a large message to busybodies to the effect that they are safe. I think it safe to assume that Rivian will have similar, if not exactly the same features.

Besides operator comfort pre conditioning of the car has implications with respect to charging and regeneration (which involves charging). Pre heating is particularly easy to do in a BEV as electric heaters can be used (no need for the engine to warm up).

By bringing this up you have at a minimum called it to the attention of readers who may not be familiar with what Tesla or other manufacturers do in this regard. That's why I am so puzzled as to why someone thinks the thread should be terminated.
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
When a thread becomes a sounding board off topic of it's title it doesn't serve much of a purpose.

GasGuzzler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lexus Gx460, 2017 Maserati Granturismo, GMC Yukon XL Denali
Towing Needs:
* A rear camera dedicated to the receiver ball
* Rear flood lights so you can see while hooking up the trailer at night
* Ability to connect 3rd party bluetooth cameras to display on dash
* Suspension that adjusts for added tongue weight. Can't stress how awesome this is on my Denali

Sporting Needs:
* Rear window that rolls down
* AC & DC plugs in the rear should be standard
* Built in high psi pump (or compartments to throw items like this into)
* Keyless entry (no key fob present) and ability to lock the door with key inside
* Refrigerated center console
* Let air out of tires from inside the car

Family Needs:
* 2nd row captains chairs (it's a pain to take kids out of car seats to let someone in the 3rd row)
* DVD / Bluetooth video player with bluetooth audio broadcasting
* Independent headphone jacks dedicated to rear audio controls

My Needs:
* A killer stereo
* Infotainment wheel (I don't like touch screen)
* Safety features like cross traffic back up warning, BSM and collision prevention
* A plush interior is mandatory
* Real time GPS with ability to flag police locations would be cool

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I want the Rivian R1T to have a electric sliding rear window like the ones on my F150; one of my favorite feature on any truck body...Sadly, I have yet to see any R1T prototypes featuring this...I might ended up giving in and wait for the all electric F150 instead. It will definitely have an electric sliding rear window and a longer, more useful bed...Please, Rivian, offer a sliding rear window and a longer bed as options!!

StormyKnight

First Name
Stormy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt / Silverado Hybrid
Is it possible to have two charging ports, one CCS and one Supercharger (assuming an agreement with Tesla), on the Rivian? It seems like range anxiety and lack of charging infrastructure is a huge concern for many potential buyers including myself. It would be nice to able to take advantage of whatever might be next on the highway.

Sponsored

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Is it possible to have two charging ports, one CCS and one Supercharger (assuming an agreement with Tesla), on the Rivian? It seems like range anxiety and lack of charging infrastructure is a huge concern for many potential buyers including myself. It would be nice to able to take advantage of whatever might be next on the highway.
I agree. But there's no need for an extra port. A simple cable adapter ought to do the trick.

Tesla in the past has offered for any other manufacturer to use the Supercharger network for some "fair" compensation. With the Cybertruck coming that may not be as easy as it was but it's sure worthwhile for Rivian to at least ask and see if a deal can be made. From the Rivian customer's point of view this would be a huge benefit.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I think the fact that no other manufacturer has elected to use the Tesla chargers tells us all we need to know about the "fair"ness of the compensation.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I don't know what would be "fair" to allow Supercharger use.
Tesla has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the network to date. Rough numbers put it at $300-500 per car sold to date. Would you pay $500 to allow your Rivian access to the Supercharger network (not free charging, just access)? Plus an $X dollar option from Rivian for the hardware/software?

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Tesla has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the network to date. Rough numbers put it at $300-500 per car sold to date. Would you pay $500 to allow your Rivian access to the Supercharger network (not free charging, just access)? Plus an $X dollar option from Rivian for the hardware/software?
Yes, in a heartbeat. If, that is, I had to make the decision today. By the time the Rivian is delivering the truth may change. Right now the Supercharger network is light years ahead of the rest. But ElectrifyAmerica and others are working to catch up. Somehow I doubt they will but maybe. In any case $500 would a small price to pay for extra flexibility.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
$500 plus the cost of an adapter? Absolutely. I'd pay that and a higher rate per kwh than Tesla customers.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I think that's pretty simple. If the operating costs for the network are X, the maintenance costs Y and the budget for expansion Z, and P is Tesla's profit and if the fraction of the vehicles that charge on the SC network is f then Rivian should pay Tesla f*(X + Y + Z - P). As Tesla operates the network at a loss P is a negative number.
Tesla has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the network to date.
The cost of the service is priced to return the desired level of profit. Development is recovered through that. Telsa does not choose to take profit from the SC network as it is not a profit center (and never will be according to Elon). It recognizes that the losses cover its marketing expenses. It wouldn't be fair to charge Rivian for Tesla's historical marketing costs.

Rough numbers put it at $300-500 per car sold to date. Would you pay $500 to allow your Rivian access to the Supercharger network (not free charging, just access)?
Without a moment's hesitation.

Plus an $X dollar option from Rivian for the hardware/software?
Were Tesla to decide that it didn't want to make a profit on its customers but did want to make a profit on Rivian and thus decided to charge Rivian $1000 for each SC capable truck and if Rivian decided to pass that on to the customer and in addition charge $2000 for the hardware/software option to enable it so that there was a $3000 "Tesla Charging Package" option offered i would take it in a heartbeat. That's probably true up to say $5000. This is from the perspective of someone who does 85% of charging at home and only uses the SC network occasionally and who has some experience in places where the SC network does not reach. The prospect of having to operate on the non Tesla charging infrastructure is a major concern of mine with respect to my Rivian reservation and one that is growing as the date at which I might expect to see an R1T in my driveway is approaching faster than the rate at which EA seems to be able to iron the kinks out of its net.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Were Tesla to decide that it didn't want to make a profit on its customers but did want to make a profit on Rivian and thus decided to charge Rivian $1000 for each SC capable truck and if Rivian decided to pass that on to the customer and in addition charge $2000 for the hardware/software option to enable it so that there was a $3000 "Tesla Charging Package" option offered.....
I would pass on the option (initially) and rent a vehicle for the long trips, which for me would be at most twice per year, while saving wear and tear on the Rivian. Surely within a couple of years, provided Rivian and other electric car sales are good, the EA charging network will be much improved. If not, there's going to be problems selling any electric vehicles, other than Tesla, that even Tesla can't help them fix......If I thought I would need to rely on Tesla's charging system, beyond a couple of years after Rivian's initial sales, then I would switch to a Tesla product.......So for now, I'm taking a chance with Rivian and EA's future charging systems.......However, if the Tesla charge were only $500, I would reconsider, but if it came to $3,000, that would buy myself quite a few rental days.

Reactions: Rad

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I would pass on the option (initially) and rent a vehicle for the long trips, ..., while saving wear and tear on the Rivian.
If I did not expect the Rivian to be a vehicle of quality comparable to Tesla's I would not have put the deposit down on it. Assuming that it is indeed of comparable quality you will not want to be renting any vehicles. Also keep in mind that BEVs don't wear the way ICE vehicles do.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
If I did not expect the Rivian to be a vehicle of quality comparable to Tesla's I would not have put the deposit down on it. Assuming that it is indeed of comparable quality you will not want to be renting any vehicles. Also keep in mind that BEVs don't wear the way ICE vehicles do.
I agree with your comments. My comments below are me thinking out loud and not to persuade anyone.

I would only rent a vehicle for distances longer than Rivian's charge (300 miles) and only if I don't have an available (fast) charging station located on my route. You're right in that I don't want to rent a vehicle, but I also don't want to be dependent on Tesla's charging system, at a premium price, otherwise I would go with one of their vehicles, but not the Cybertruck as it looks now.

As far as the wear, I was thinking more about the added mileage, tire wear, dents and bruises from normal driving where there's road construction and where gravel trucks travel. Not that much to consider though, but it does factor to a very small degree.

While I think Tesla has every right to charge whatever they want to whomever they please, I don't want to pay considerably more than their car owners, even though they certainly have the right to do so......Keep in mind this is my current view and that's why I said I wouldn't initially take the offer, but doesn't mean I wouldn't later, even though I doubt I would. I would assume if they did have such an offer, you could buy in anytime. I would try and determine what progress EA was making, before choosing the $3,000 option, provided it's offered.

I'm pulling for Rivian to come through with a solution to the charging situation, as it seems there are already quite a few costly options that we'll need to be deciding on before long. I wouldn't choose this particular option currently, or I'll be contemplating whether a Rivian is worth it to me, or not. That said, I don't see anything wrong with having all options available. It's just that I wouldn't choose this one, as I think Rivian needs to come up with something else, or include this option at no charge. At least to everyone who has put up their deposit, prior to Rivian announcing such an option.

I have a feeling there are a lot of folks on this forum and potential buyers, that are willing to pay $3,000 - $5,000 for use of Tesla's charging system. I'm just not one of them.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
If I had to pay $3K to 5K to use a Tesla supercharger with a Rivian I would stick with ICE and use the gas station next door. I'm not concerned with saving the world, just like the idea of an electric vehicle. I've been a reservation holder since Nov 29, 2018. Starting to get excited about the Hummer pickup. My dreams can shift if they are only dreams. If I'm really fantasizing I could think about the Atlas.
Sponsored