Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I agree, more charging options would help, but I’m a little weary of Rivian piggybacking on the Supercharging network. Yes, they are expanding it, but many of the stations are already constantly packed with many waiting for an open spot. I don’t think Rivian needs to invest in a large scale Supercharger type network either, but rather a smaller one(they’ve said they will have some type of network installed in more remote places). There are several other third party charging networks already installed and constantly being expanded, so I hope these companies will continue to expand and we will all win. I wouldn’t be surprised to start seeing chargers at existing gas stations.
Well, right now Tesla has a huge advantage in that Tesla owners have access to the Supercharger network PLUS all the others. And furthermore, as far as I can tell almost all of the others are 50kW or less (vs 120 for most of Tesla's). From a Rivian point of view this will probably improve as the other charging networks gradually move toward higher power levels and expand the number of stations. But I suspect it will be many years before they reach parity with the Superchargers. And at that point Tesla owners will still have 2x as many options. Huge advantage for the Cybertruck vs Rivian.

I wholeheartedly applaud Rivian's intention to install chargers in more remote places. This will be a nice addition to the existing networks. But for me at least, there's always a long road trip to get to the off-road adventure. Having an adapter of some sort that allowed a Rivian to use the superchargers would make that road trip a lot easier.
Sponsored

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I should also add that it's very annoying that the rest of the EV world didn't adopt Tesla's charging standard. Anyone who has used a Supercharger and any of the others knows that Tesla's connectors are infinitely superior.

That said, I expect that eventually Tesla will have to switch to the CCS standard. They already use it in Europe. This will no doubt mean a plethora of new adapters for older cars during the transition :-(

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I agree, Tesla has the upper hand when in comes to the charging network. They’ve been installing and expanding for nearly 10 years, so that’s to be expected. Maybe we can hope for a Supercharger adapter in the future, but I’m not holding my breath. There is already an aftermarket adapter that you can use for the Tesla HPWC, but it won’t work at the Supercharger.

Electrify America stations have both Chademo 50kw and CCS 150-350kw.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
But all the legacy car companies have to share what is out there. I think it’s will be years as in at least 5 before they reach Tesla level of chargers. Especially when more cars get on the road. I hope Tesla continues to keep their current connector and does not change in the USA. We have tried using chargers in places that were not Tesla and they either did not work or were slower than advertised.

FutureBoy61

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
For off road or back road navigation. It would be cool to have an application on my home computer that transferred between the Rivian onboard computer and my home computer for planning off road routes/charge points and projected range, etc. when traveling off the grid. Also, if I get stuck somewhere without power or just plan stuck. the vehicle could send out a come get me help request so my other Rivian buddies could come out to get me unstuck or recharge me. Add a power winch into my wish list too (for me or to help someone else out of a pinch in a ditch or pond or something) and maybe a flare gun :)
I want to add one more thing to my wish list and that would be Compatibility/Cooperation with Tesla for accessing their charging network(s). My Rivian will need power and Tesla seems to have forethought the need for EV charging stations out fairly well in advance.

I would also like to be able to tap into a standard RV shore power pole at campground electrical sites 30A or 50A.

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I want
I would also like to be able to tap into a standard RV shore power pole at campground electrical sites 30A or 50A.
I want to be able to plug my RV into the Rivian. I think it should have at least a 30A 120 plug for those people hauling their RV. If they don't have one, I am pretty sure the Ford will because Ford is targeting contractors and such, and a 30A plug would be very useful to them.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You should be able to do this with the included "charger" cable, maybe needing an adaptor for 30A.

I want to be able to plug my RV into the Rivian. I think it should have at least a 30A 120 plug for those people hauling their RV.
This would be cool, but I've only heard about plans for 120V outlets.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
The 30A plug would take a very long time. It is only 3600W. A 180kW battery would need around 50 hours on a 30A plug and 15 hours on a 50A plug.

mtnras

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3500, Subaru Ascent, Rivian R1T
Since we are dealing with a clean sheet approach, I would love to see someone finally integrate the GPS/map functionality with weather radar forecasting. Let the user configure a route from point A to point B and show projected weather radar along the route. Include the option of showing real time weather anywhere along the route and future projections locally or along the way to allow for efficient planning of stops (eating/charging) or detours. Further add live traffic and we have a stellar app on the big beautiful center display! Make sure it is totally controllable via voice.

The data stream could come either from a built in data connection (4G/5G) or piggy backing on one's smartphone. All the pieces are there - I just have not seen them properly integrated yet. Hopefully Rivian will be the one to finally pull it all together...
Along those lines...Gaia as a map platform and one of many NOAA apps for weather overlay

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I was discussing output from the Rivian. FutureBoy61 was discussing input from RV shore power.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I can't see it being excluded, but I bet it won't have hard buttons...likely SW or voice interface.
When Tesla started selling cars they offered free charging for the life of the vehicle to their first customers. And one of their big sales techniques was to have the website list the price of the car as retail price minus the tax incentive and minus the gas savings. Do we think Rivian is run by smart guys who might have learned something from Tesla's experiences (positive and negative)? I do. I'll bet the early buyers will get free charging - at least for a couple of years. Of course it won't be free - it will be built into the cost of the vehicles but we won't think that.
I dont think this can be overstated. People (and I mean me) will look for any proofpoint they can find to help justify the purchase. For myself, I was sold on my Model X the second I started driving. My wife took a little (okay, a LOT) more convincing. One thing that helped move her from the "I dont really want to" column to the "okay, I can live with that" column was the free lifetime charging. I was just one more value statement that makes the case for Yes. So much so that she is now a Tesla for life customer.

These are also the type of things that put Tesla in the luxury, premium experience category. One of the things I hate (or used to hate since I am now an EV owner for life) when buying ICE cars was they would nickel and dime you for every little thing and the customer experience when buying and servicing left a LOT to be desired. Tesla hits it out of the park. I will grant that I never owned a luxury ICE vehicle but I cant imagine the experience being better than Tesla.

I think the Rivian team is looking at how Tesla approached the market and has been taking notes. I am sure they have and will learn a lot. Very excited to see more details on "my" R1T this coming year!

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I would like Rivian to utilize its stakeboard platform to produce BE RVs or sell their Amazon BE van to the public so we can convert them to van conversions/RVs. Who is with me on this?!

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I would like Rivian to utilize its stakeboard platform to produce BE RVs or sell their Amazon BE van to the public so we can convert them to van conversions/RVs. Who is with me on this?!
Definitely. But I think we are a long way from decent range. A delivery van could easily get away with 100 miles of range. In an RV that would be a nightmare. Also, if it isn't AWD, I wouldn't want one. I think a Ford Transit AWD hybrid would be a good alternative until an all electric van with decent range comes out.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Definitely. But I think we are a long way from decent range. A delivery van could easily get away with 100 miles of range. In an RV that would be a nightmare. Also, if it isn't AWD, I wouldn't want one. I think a Ford Transit AWD hybrid would be a good alternative until an all electric van with decent range comes out.
Agree. Rivian definitely can help Ford with a Transit hybrid. Or just use the existing quad motor skateboard architecture and place a Van body over it. Plus, there is a lot rumor circulating about Ford taking over Rivian but keeping it independently run by Scaringe. Exciting times!
Sponsored