Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
First picture looks like snow or ice over fastener holes (see around charger itself too).

Second picture looks to me like the catch extends & spins to "lock". It's definitely extended past the body line, so I'm sticking with electronic; probably manual shut (pin spins as it retracts closed).

You don't happen to have a closeup of the door side, do you @jimcgov3 ?
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I don't. That is one picture I have never taken. I had to google that one even. I just remembered a video from YouTube where a Rivian Rep opens the door for someone at the Aspen event back in February. At the 6:27 mark in the video, you can see the Rep pushing on the trailing edge of the door to open it. There is a possibility that it will only open when the truck is locked though...Video below.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good call. My old Pontiac G8 GT had a manual push-to-open fuel door, but the car had to be unlocked to open it.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I would like a "put-away" and "come-to-door" mode. Get home, pull up to front door, tell R1T to park itself in garage (I have a detached garage). In the morning, tell it to warm interior and come out of garage and wait at front door. This would mostly be done with (optional) exterior sensors, not all built in to the vehicle. "Alexa, bring the car around!"

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would like a "put-away" and "come-to-door" mode. Get home, pull up to front door, tell R1T to park itself in garage (I have a detached garage). In the morning, tell it to warm interior and come out of garage and wait at front door. This would mostly be done with (optional) exterior sensors, not all built in to the vehicle. "Alexa, bring the car around!"
Custom "route training" would be a cool idea. Useful for non-roadway applications & even offroad trails. Ability to share upload where appropriate would be cool too for public adventure locations.

Sponsored

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Kinda minor, but I’d like a page on the infotainment system showing energy consumption of various parts of the vehicle; battery management (heating, cooling), accelerating/decelerating the vehicle, heating/cooling the cabin, etc.

EDIT: actually I probably meant power rather than energy (being able to see that cabin heating is currently drawing 500W) although energy consumption over the trip split in the same way would also be interesting.

Last edited:

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I had no idea that Tesla basically already has this... just need to teach it about garage doors.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-smart-summon-obstacle-test-video/

MEKNEE

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda accord, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2011 Cadillac EXT
Since we are dealing with a clean sheet approach, I would love to see someone finally integrate the GPS/map functionality with weather radar forecasting. Let the user configure a route from point A to point B and show projected weather radar along the route. Include the option of showing real time weather anywhere along the route and future projections locally or along the way to allow for efficient planning of stops (eating/charging) or detours. Further add live traffic and we have a stellar app on the big beautiful center display! Make sure it is totally controllable via voice.

The data stream could come either from a built in data connection (4G/5G) or piggy backing on one's smartphone. All the pieces are there - I just have not seen them properly integrated yet. Hopefully Rivian will be the one to finally pull it all together...
GM has the weather feature available, hooked into the sound system program. I had a Nissan Leaf, the gps showed all the charging stations along your route along with the weather along the route and traffic problems.

Man, that Tesla truck is UGLY!

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The tailgate ramp the Tesla Cybertruck has is slick. Easily get/wheel/slide things into the bed. Copy that Rivian!

Ha, even a mini-winch option to pull stuff up so we don't have to :p

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
...Factory winch.
I would be happy with just having a mounting location and provision for the fairlead.

low mounted driving/fog lights
But adequately protected when climbing steep ledges

Full-size spare tire option for R1S. Even if it means carving section out of the frunk along with anchor points
This is absolutely critical. It's insane to go wheeling without a full size spare!

Heated and cooled seats
and heated steering wheel

Onboard route planner sensitive to location, distance, accessibility and status of DC fast charging stations
sort of like a built-in PlugShare

Putting Telsa's proprietary standard aside there is really only one charging standard out there
The Tesla Supercharger network is way better than all the rest. There are lots more of them and they're higher power. This gives the CyberTruck a huge advantage. But Tesla has offered to let other vehicles access the network if the manufacturer will help to defray the costs. Go for it Rivian!

I think they will, just as Ford has done, cut deals with one or more of the charging network operators
Yeah. And make the deal with Tesla, too.

and many have Tesla destination chargers which can charge Rivians
I don't think that's right. The Tesla destination chargers use the Tesla connector only.

Regen braking option to switch from accelerator to brake pedal along with selectable levels of regen
and make the max regen level very strong, 0.5g or so

air compressor available on R1S like on the R1T
with adequate flow rate to inflate all four tires from 10 to 30 psi in 5 minutes

Running boards (no preference if they retract or not)
But they must be strong enough to take a big hit on a rock and protect the door

Wheel size and style options

Bigger fender flares
I had a Wrangler JK with 35" load range C tires. It was fine but I destroyed the side walls three times. When I traded that for a JL with 37x13.5 E range tires it made a huge difference in how well I can navigate difficult terrain and I have yet to have any tire damage despite running the Rubicon Trail and a bunch of similar stuff.

I hope the 22" wheels are just for show. A serious off-roader needs tall side walls. 37x13.5R18 please!!

Have the interior noise be super quiet sub 55db at highway speeds
Yes!!!

a page on the infotainment system showing energy consumption of various parts of the vehicle
yes, both energy and power. I would also like to see pitch/roll indicators (like the Wrangler JL). And for street use an accelerator vector.

For me the main attraction of the Rivian is that it's electric AND off-road capable. But as it stands it's a very big compromise off-road compared to my Jeep. I would really like to see some options that ameliorate some them. The biggest is the tires. Skinny little 33s are for the street. How hard can it be to make the wheel wells a bit bigger? ]

Second is the bumpers. I suppose I can live with its shallow approach/departure angles but it it's going to hit the bumper on every ledge then they had better be steel. I would be happy if the plastic froo-froo was just removable. I'd pop them off at the trailhead, scratch up the steel underneath and pop them back on at the end. No harm, no foul. (OK if tools are required.) Better would just be to have a steel bumper option.

Third, I would be pretty nervous wheeling without a winch. Obviously, not every Rivian buyer will want one. But it seems like it should be possible either have a factory option or just have a strong point on the base of the frunk that would support an after-market winch and a hole in the front bumper for the fairlead. It may be that the 12v system in the Rivian isn't up to a 500amp load but it would be OK if a secondary 12v battery was required to power the winch so long as it was charged from the main battery.

Bottom line: if Rivian wants to claim to be a serious off-road explorer it needs to be more like a Wrangler and less like a Range Rover. The standard should be the ability to traverse the Rubicon Trail without damage.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@BillArnett is my spirit animal.

1) Rivian needs to make an even more offroad-focused vehicle. Less focus on aero, more articulation, & accommodate at least 37" tires.

2) Vehicle above should support customization. Bumpers, other rock armor, etc.

3) Winch - For current or future Rivian vehicles...a well thought out winch mounting & wiring connections would be appreciated. Added bonus if this could be stored when not in use & easily moved front to back.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I had some ideas. Maybe not 100% serious about all of these.

* SDK programmers can use to write software that interacts with the vehicles systems (read-only while driving - full control while parked)
* Data ports programmers can use to write software that allows you to add UI to the touchscreen for interacting with custom powered equipment
* Massive range-enhancing bed and tunnel batteries
* Solar panel bed cover with hand-cranked satellite-style extending when stationary - Tesla made a good move there (they weren't all bad) with their panel - it doesn't have to refuel 100% or even 10% in a day - it just needs to offset non-driving usage of the battery and give you an option if you run out of juice somewhere remote.
* Stationary micro-wind-generator walls you can pull out of the bed or tunnel and plug in for additional charging when you're going to be camped out somewhere windy for a while.
* Any and all features that aid in parking a mid-sized pickup in the city, if the rear wheels could turn, you could angle all of them and slide on in.
* Gear tunnel app/dash-touchscreen-controllable extendable speakers/smoke/laser-light show - suck it coal-roller!
* Voice-activated shenanigans mode that records camera sensor input/records license plates when other drivers are misbehaving (more than you are)
* Night vision cameras
* Augmented reality integration so you can put all those sensors to use at night and in foggy conditions or (?)
* AR HUD or at least screen option so you don't have to wear something silly looking
* Gear tunnel extendable sensor suite in combination with the above.
* 3D local environment scanning using the sensors + additional sensors as-needed to make that possible
* Gear tunnel/bed/roof attached pontoons (that sit above the truck while driving) and paddle wheel wheel covers for full amphibious
* Roof-top sky watcher cam with shooting-stars-don't-move-like-that identifying software - big seller in New Mexico
* Truck-sized powered telescope - maybe IR and radio too
* Shortwave radio, CB, police-scanner/all of the radio things
* EV truck-sized wi-fi hotspot with collapsing satellite dish, for large group use in regions of the world where internet is less of a guarantee - for educating/training
* Super-duper-multi-level-roof-and-bed-mega-tent that seals over the back window so you can use climate control
* Or maybe just a reasonable-sized tent that does that sealing/climate control thing - very surprised Rivian missed that detail
* Bed hot tub + rooftop TV + gear tunnel champagne cooler with serving arms/conveyor belt
* Gear tunnel toilet + magazine rack + champagne cooler
* Toilet recycling system that filters water out leaving a lot more room for storage of the stuff that's not environment friendly to just dump + drinkable water if you have a lot of faith in the manufacturer
* More generalized gear tunnel battery or human-powered (pedals?) water filter/desalinator
* Gear tunnel accessible human power generation for use of anything you might need in an emergency where the truck's battery was out of commission or you're in a real hurry to charge just one more mile and the solar/wind isn't getting there fast enough
* Gear tunnel extendable vapor collectors for drinking water
* Frunkerator
* Tow truck package
* Remote emergency vehicle packages with powered medical equipment
* Extremely hazardous environment packages for heat, fire, extreme cold, toxic/volcanic gases - I would think EVs have advantages in that regard
* Gear tunnel powered lab equipment packages + above for remote research
* Land/air/underwater Drones + charging bay
* Gear tunnel ski waxing station
* Gear tunnel woodworking station
* Gear tunnel clothes-washing/drying station
* Pet friendly bed cover/floor mats, fixed food bowl/litter boxes, etc. with climate control piped from the cabin
* Electric truck battery-chargeable whaler-style mini boat that slides into the bed with a winch to load it back up
* Same as above but hovercraft
* Extendable bed-cover mini-RV
* Door flashlight alternatives like beard-trimmer, hair clippers, toothbrush, electric screwdriver
* OR as above but with modular battery-handle/business-end so you can swap the light head out for other tool heads with less restriction on size/length

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LOL @Pherdnut . Excellent list, & you really put the nut in Pherdnut.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Back in the 60s I owned a Citroen DS21. It had hydraulic suspension that could be manually raised and lowered. One nice trick was that in order to change a tire all I had to do was put the suspension in its highest position, put a block or jack stand under the side with the bad tire, and lower the suspension again. The bad tire was now off the ground. No jack needed!! This trick should be easy enough for Rivian, just software :)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Back in the 60s I owned a Citroen DS21. It had hydraulic suspension that could be manually raised and lowered. One nice trick was that in order to change a tire all I had to do was put the suspension in its highest position, put a block or jack stand under the side with the bad tire, and lower the suspension again. The bad tire was now off the ground. No jack needed!! This trick should be easy enough for Rivian, just software :)
One would think it would be just as useful to simply raise the target tire, while the other three are still on the ground.
Sponsored