Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That's an extra $180 over the cost of gas for driving a Rivian on this round trip instead of a Honda minivan.
When Tesla started selling cars they offered free charging for the life of the vehicle to their first customers. And one of their big sales techniques was to have the website list the price of the car as retail price minus the tax incentive and minus the gas savings. Do we think Rivian is run by smart guys who might have learned something from Tesla's experiences (positive and negative)? I do. I'll bet the early buyers will get free charging - at least for a couple of years. Of course it won't be free - it will be built into the cost of the vehicles but we won't think that.
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I noticed recently on the Tesla website that they are again offering free lifetime charging for purchases of a new Model S or Model X. I also noticed that the price of the car I was configuring had gone up since the last time I input the same configuration (both post-Raven introduction). Pricing a Tesla is like trying to figure out airline fares, with almost daily fluctuations that no mere mortal can decipher.

I wonder if Rivian is going to get onboard with Ford's just-announced FordPass charging network. Although it includes Electrify America charging stations, it will offer access to several other systems through a single user account -- managed, interestingly enough, by Shell software.

Reactions: Rad

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm going to guess no because Rivian has indicated several time that they definitely want Rivian to be perceived as a separate brand even though they are in bed with Ford. I think they will, just as Ford has done, cut deals with one or more of the charging network operators. This has been done before. I can charge at a Flo station using a Cicuit Electrique card and conversely. There was a Nissan "No Charge to Charge" program that let buyers charge free at EVGO stations for two years after purchase. I think it will be something like that.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Since our dogs are part of all of our adventures, I just emailed Rivian about the possibility of an accessory dog crate for the R1S (2 row version)... essentially 3rd row seats just for our dogs. And while I did make the suggestion for the accessory crate, I also inquired whether this would actually be the safest way to transport our 2 German Shepherds or if there might be better options. Will be interesting to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Laser headlights

Tyker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
I too am interested in HUD and a 360 view camera. Emailed Rivian about them but they wouldn't bite.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Maybe a minor request, but i don't want this to be overlooked: Auto-dimming side-view mirrors. My 4Runner has it for the rear-view mirror, but at night with people's poorly aimed lights behind me, the side view mirrors are blinding for me and I end up aiming them to the ground for long night drives.

A bigger request, and maybe one not possible for day 1: an open SDK for infotainment system apps. Even if it needs to be somewhat locked down for liability reasons, I think it would really pay off by leveraging the community's creativity and free time to make the vehicle even better! The more access to vehicle data the better, like GPS location, cameras, etc. Of course I'm not asking for the ability for an app to control the driving systems, but even read-only access would be :rock:

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Definitely auto-dim mirrors all around should be included. Even the Tesla M3 has them.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Do we know if the CCS port and or charge door locks?
I believe the charge door is electronic, opened through a vehicle menu or app, not too different from many fuel doors.

Maybe someone that's been to an event can confirm?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I believe the charge door is electronic, opened through a vehicle menu or app, not too different from many fuel doors.

Maybe someone that's been to an event can confirm?
In one of the original photos from when we all found the trucks in Argentina, there was a picture with the charge door open. It looked like there was a magnet or three on the body side of the charge port door. It very well could be body fasteners though...Not sure. I would assume that the door would be magnetically actuated.

Although the second picture leads me to believe that it is a standard push to open, push to close.

Rivian R1T R1S What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company?? Preproduction R1T Spied Argentina 1

Rivian R1T R1S What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company?? Charge Port Door
Sponsored