Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You may be in that group that will use the volumous storage and all 7 seats. When I see a sample of people driving, out of the many many 100's thousands daily around here, which is most often to work, I see exactly 1 person in the car 90% of the time. lol.

The concept of bigger = better/more expensive, again, seems like a bankrupt old-school Detroit mentality. I would never buy a 2020 Denali 3500 dually Diesel w/1K ft. torque...not even for $15k (unless I could sell it that day for MSRP) or the very top of the line Suburban or a full-size truck at all, and I can afford to buy an electric vehicle of my choosing - which is going to be a R1S :)

My point is, and this is just for me (but I suspect a few others), I would hardly ever use the 7 seats and completely fill up the storage a handful of times a year, but I need to park daily...anyway 200.7" inches is not thaaaat long but was hoping for a little shorter. Curious to see details on the Rally...

@hola29

1) Amen, totally agree
5) I will need all three rows & every bit of that storage space on a regular basis, and will need a solution for additional storage for longer or camping trips. I would consider third row & max storage more of a need by families (who comprise a lot of SUV buyers), but who would want to pay Rivian money for a more diminutive SUV?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
. . . 200.7" inches is not thaaaat long but was hoping for a little shorter.
I saw that 200.7" figure, too, in a review I recently read. However, the specifications chart released by Rivian gives the R1S length as 5,040 mm, which is just under 198.5". It's not much, I know, but every little bit helps.

It's interesting that as vehicles have gotten larger, standard garage sizes seem to be getting smaller. They are throwing up condos and houses by the thousands in Naples these days. My dad was a builder, and one of my hobbies is riding around looking at construction. Almost every garage I see in these big developments is now using 20' x 20' as the standard two-car garage. I have even seen an 18' x 20' garage advertised as a two-car garage. One day I came up on a realtor at a construction site and asked about this. She tried to explain that she had a 20' x 20' garage and found it fine for two cars. When I asked her how she could open the doors on both cars, she explained -- with a straight face -- that all you had to do was pull one car close to one wall and then back the other car in close to the opposite wall and that the driver could then easily get into and out of either car. When I asked what the passengers would do, she said all she had to do was pull out of the garage and then the passengers could get in. I then raised the issue of the almost-daily rains during rainy season. At that point, she walked off. (I guess I had it coming, but I couldn't resist.)

One of my friends who was way too loathe to trade-in his antique Lincoln Town Car bought a condo that advertised a two-and-half car garage. It was adequately wide for two cars, but he failed to try out his car before he closed on the sale. Only after closing did he discover that he could only close the garage door behind his car if the front bumper was within two inches of the back wall. He ended up having chock blocks drilled into the floor so that he could get close enough to the wall without hitting it. However, if he was trying to unload groceries in a rain, he had to back the car partway in, unload the groceries, and then turn it around to put the front wheels against the blocks.

Most of the SUV's I see in Florida get parked in the driveways, which I suppose is to be expected because, without basements or usable attics down here, most garages end up as storage bins, anyway.

Having learned my lesson, my new house has a 1937 square foot garage that is 26.5" deep. And no one parallel parks in Naples which, given the driving I see down here, is a very good thing. So I'm golden with the R1S and its two inches more or less.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@hola29
Sounds to me that the R1S is not really the vehicle you want or need. Rivian made decisions & there is always tradeoffs...I'm sure they did plenty of market research.

Maybe hold out for details on the rally model, or even the upcoming Ford Mustang crossover (details in Nov, supposedly).

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
Hola29

Tesla model Y might be a better car for you. overall length of a Model 3 is 185", I am expecting MY to be similar

chizchiz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Jeep GC, Porsche 911, DeTomaso Pantera
Here's my wish-list...and yes some redundancy from people above but just consider that another vote!

1) Pre-wired AUX switches (a la the wrangler tow package). Part two here would be pre-placed mounting points for brackets for things like A pillar lights, winch, rear fogs.
2) Factory installed PPF (a la the new defender), specifically with the ability to replace individual panels in the future...cheaper than paint!!!
3) Rock sliders (frame mounted). Not sure integrated step is necessary (will keep cost down) as the air suspension should make egress easy enough.
4) Full size spare in the R1S. Take a look at the best selling Grand Cherokee (hint: its the Trailhawk....with a full size spare)
5) Lightweight integrated roof mount for rooftop tent.
6) Wireless carplay
7) Front facing trail camera
8) Smaller wheel size options....18in with more rubber would be ideal!....with that in mind, bigger fenders and wheel wells to fit bigger rubber.
9) Exposed tow hooks
10) Foot activated trunk and hood

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7) Front facing trail camera
That's there, it has been in a video or two & can be seen in the demo pic here. The wheel track lines/indicators are pretty awesome too!
Rivian R1T R1S What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company?? FB_IMG_1567641980510

chizchiz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Jeep GC, Porsche 911, DeTomaso Pantera
That's there, it has been in a video or two & can be seen in the demo pic here. The wheel track lines/indicators are pretty awesome too!
FB_IMG_1567641980510.jpg
I love that, I really hope that's production spec!!!

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Hi there. New to the forum and I’ve recently placed a deposit down for the R1S. I’ve never been one to be a “first adopter” but I currently own a BMW X5 40e (dipping my toe in the electric water) and I’m hooked and wanting more. I’m ready to make the commitment to an all electric vehicle.

As I’ve gotten older and over my years in work, I’ve learned that good customer service is the key to repeat business so I’ve been conditioned to being pretty detail oriented. With that being said and along with all of the obvious other items mentioned (eg, HUD, heated front AND rear seats, vehicle charging information, self parking, etc) I’d like to see the following from or on my Rivian:

- Attention to customer service. It doesn’t do any good to put out a great product without great customer service so I hope they’ve got that department running strong at vehicle production/delivery start. It would be unfortunate for Rivian to get the guaranteed bad press on a great product because of unanswered or slow to answer customer service calls.
- A really thorough customer orientation session on the car upon delivery/receipt. I mean show the R1S off to me like it’s your eldest going off to the Air Force Academy. How can I fully enjoy my Rivian or be an ambassador for Rivian If I’m not fully versed on my vehicle’s functioning because of a poor orientation session. Seriously. It’s a win win for Rivian because us customers will be happy with our vehicles and we will be free (and informed) marketing to friends and random people who will ask us about our satisfaction with the vehicles. Plus if we are fully versed on how to operate our vehicles (including secret tips and tricks along with energy saving tips) there should be less “how do I?” type phone calls. Would also like to see operational videos maybe on a private online portal on “how tos”. I like my vehicle manual being uploaded into the car’s system (like on the XC90) but it would be cool to be further supported by quality videos.
-A standard extended warranty (nothing excessive just something reasonable for us early adopters). I appreciate the attention to detail on design and the limited testing they’re currently doing. But until this vehicle has been driven for a prolonged time in a broader range of climates and user stress conditions, us early adopters are really doing the stress testing for Rivian. So I would appreciate Rivian’s confidence in the vehicle in return in the form of a longer warranty.
- An awesome sound system. I can’t help the ears I was born with and if I’m not going to get a retractable sunroof (which is pretty much standard on any car I’ve purchased in the last ten years), my big ask/high on my list for any car I’m considering is an amazing sound system. I’m coming off of a Bowers & Wilkins system on an XC90 so I’ve been spoiled. Anything less and I’m just making the best of a lackluster sound system in an otherwise great car.
- A quiet ride to enjoy my superior sound system. When I drive, I sometimes do so on the roads of the PNW to temporarily get away (from kid carpools and work and house maintenance), enjoy the scenery and listen to some good tunes in a nice ride. I don’t know why it’s so hard to address sound attenuation in cars. I’m tired of audibly being one with the road when I drive so I’m hoping with double crossed fingers that the R1S addresses that.
- Durable exterior paint/trim finishes. I hope that Rivian does its research and invests in quality paint that can withstand real world wear. I mean how many of us are going to be terrified of a shopping cart or kids sports gear clanging up against the rear or sides of the car (for any parent who’s done kid carpools). I don’t want the only day my Rivian looks its best to be the day it’s delivered to me new.
- I really hope they’re putting a lot of consideration into the quality of the tires. I’m no engineer but I assume all that power going to the individual wheels is going to rough on tires. I once crossed an otherwise nice car off my list for consideration because users commented on the vehicle eating through tires super fast. The tires on the R1S don’t look small or cheap so I would not be happy to have to purchase new ones every year or two.

Ok. That’s it for now. I’m starting to go down my rabbit hole!

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

360° camera available any time
Self parking
Sirius rather than XM (I have a lifetime Sirius subscription)
400 mile range with 7 seats
HUD
Full-sized spare
EL stretched version up that you can carry enough luggage/gear for 7 people.
Heated/cooled/massage seats all around
Level 2 home charger included in price
I haven't found much information, but your comment seems to verify the limitation I am seeing in the R1S
The largest battery can't be used with 7 seats, correct?

This is very disappointing as this may rule out the Rivian or any other larger EV until I can get a 400+ mile 7 seater or a better charging network with the routes I will be driving it.
I wish minimally they would just make the rear seats so they couldn't fold down flat and just be easily removed. This should then be able to work with the longer range battery as they wouldn't fight for the same space.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I haven't found much information, but your comment seems to verify the limitation I am seeing in the R1S
The largest battery can't be used with 7 seats, correct?

This is very disappointing as this may rule out the Rivian or any other larger EV until I can get a 400+ mile 7 seater or a better charging network with the routes I will be driving it.
I wish minimally they would just make the rear seats so they couldn't fold down flat and just be easily removed. This should then be able to work with the longer range battery as they wouldn't fight for the same space.
You are correct. The 180kWh battery and the 7-pax R1S are not compatible.

There is definitely a trade off when it comes to getting the 105/135 vs. the 180, but I dont think that not being able to fold flat the 3rd row is a value-added compromise. The utility lost by not being able to fold flat the 3rd row far outweighs the ability to travel with 7 people the 400+ miles.

I personally am getting the R1T. It was been mentioned by folks at Rivian that if you get the 180kWh pack in the R1T, I believe I will lose the underseat storage in the backseats.

If you want it bad enough, you can find compromises. There is always going to be at least one. On the PRO side, charging a 135 is quicker than charging a 180...and you still get your 7-pax, and a faster 0-60, and you saved $XX,XXX in a larger battery premium over the 180, which means you can upgrade to the awesome carbon fiber insert wheels, or the electrochromatic glass roof, or the ridiculously cool flat paint job that they haven't announced yet(just stabbing in the dark now)...

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It was been mentioned by folks at Rivian that if you get the 180kWh pack in the R1T, I believe I will lose the underseat storage in the backseats.
That's interesting. I had read somewhere that the R1S had to lose its third row for the 180 kWh battery pack because the R1S chassis is 15" shorter than the R1T chassis. I was wondering if that extra 15" really would have accommodated the three additional battery modules in the pickup. What you heard makes more sense.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

You are correct. The 180kWh battery and the 7-pax R1S are not compatible.

There is definitely a trade off when it comes to getting the 105/135 vs. the 180, but I dont think that not being able to fold flat the 3rd row is a value-added compromise. The utility lost by not being able to fold flat the 3rd row far outweighs the ability to travel with 7 people the 400+ miles.

I personally am getting the R1T. It was been mentioned by folks at Rivian that if you get the 180kWh pack in the R1T, I believe I will lose the underseat storage in the backseats.

If you want it bad enough, you can find compromises. There is always going to be at least one. On the PRO side, charging a 135 is quicker than charging a 180...and you still get your 7-pax, and a faster 0-60, and you saved $XX,XXX in a larger battery premium over the 180, which means you can upgrade to the awesome carbon fiber insert wheels, or the electrochromatic glass roof, or the ridiculously cool flat paint job that they haven't announced yet(just stabbing in the dark now)...
Some good thoughts, thank you.
I'd love the R1T, however for someone with a wife and 4 kids that's not an option.
The back seats on the R1S will never get folded down (for us) and I would imagine others with 6-7 people would primarily have the seats in and in a raised position 90% of the time. Fold down won't gain me much, plus the frunk is there for more storage and I'll pull my trailer if I need additional space or need to get materials from the lumberyard.
For people with 5 or less but want the added option of a 3rd row, then I would imagine they could be okay with a quick removal 3rd row that would be out 90% of the time still giving them the utility of the flat trunk space and the option, albeit less convenient, of throwing in the 3rd row.
Perfect? No. Am I in the minority? Likely, but it's hard to replace the current ICE options for a family of more than 5. I see this as a family vehicle, but I guess they are targeting "adventurers" more than a family car replacement.
We currently have a Chrysler T&C and have been saving to go with a Suburban, Yukon, or Yukon XL which I see the R1S mainly competing with. Then the R1S comes a long and checks all the boxes except the range/3rd seat part is a tough one to swallow. Our 340mi trip where we go frequently to visit family last time I checked only had Tesla Superchargers on the route but I would imagine that the network should keep building out quickly and maybe by the time the R1S is on the market there will be some more options for my route. And no, going another route that adds ~60 minutes of drive time to a 7hr trip is not a good option with a 4mo, 2yr, 5yr, and 7yr old.

Can you explain what you mean by 7-pax? Edit: Duh I got it lol Thought you were referring to something regarding batteries.

I'll probably just have to keep monitoring the charging network and hold out on a 135 until I know the charging options will be there.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Can you explain what you mean by 7-pax? Edit: Duh I got it lol Thought you were referring to something regarding batteries.

I'll probably just have to keep monitoring the charging network and hold out on a 135 until I know the charging options will be there
Sorry. Going on 19 yesterday in the military...PAX is passengers.

Check out PlugShare. I think you'll be surprised what is already out there in regards to CCS chargers. The picture is only Level 3s. There are some holes, but it's WV...haha.

Rivian R1T R1S What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company?? Screenshot_20191015-162149_PlugShare

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is very disappointing as this may rule out the Rivian or any other larger EV until I can get a 400+ mile 7 seater . . . .
Unfortunately, that will probably mean waiting for a significant breakthrough in battery technology. SUV's large enough to carry 7 people comfortably will of necessity be big, heavy vehicles. At current energy densities for batteries, that means very large battery packs to get 400 or more miles of range.

Tesla is currently the industry leader in power efficiency, and their 7-passenger vehicle (the Model X) attains only 325 miles of range. To get more range, they would have to encroach on an interior space that is already far less roomy than the R1S (and has even less cargo space than the Model S sedan on which it was based).

Rivian seems to have done about as good a job as possible in choosing the trade-offs between interior volume and range. 310 miles of range on the 7-passenger R1S is no mean feat.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@SlaterGS ,
I'm in the same boat, except mine is a family of 5, but with the need to carry a couple extra. I wish we could keep the 3rd row w/ the 180kw pack, but I know I'll be fine 98% of the time with the 135, and CCS level3 charging will be significantly more built out by the time we actually get the vehicles.

Plus, I like the thought of having the fastest version with the 135kw pack as well. ;-)
Sponsored