Sponsored

What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are no certainties at this point but the indications are pretty strong as to what the answers to some of these questions are.

Body Dings: Get them repaired at a body shop. There was originally a problem with this with Tesla as you had to go to a Tesla approved shop in order to maintain your warranty but that was because Tesla's use lots of aluminum. Don't know whether Rivian is made of the same stuff. This might be a problem with Rivian at least initially.

Towing: It is going to eat your lunch. What does it do to gas mileage on your current vehicle? It is going to do about the same to your EV. I used to tow a small trailer behind a Lexus. I had to fill up 4 times in a trip as opposed to 3 times without it. I expect if I towed it behind my Telsa consumption would go up by about the same amount i.e. from 300 wH/mi to 400. There is a You Tube about some guys who towed a horse trailer behind a Tesla X. Consumption went from 330 to over 500. You can expect about the same. WRT cold weather you can expect a further increase in consumption especially if there is snow on roads.

Charging Connector: Putting Telsa's proprietary standard aside there is really only one charging standard out there. That is CCS/combo and that is what Rivian will be using and that is what all the home EVSE offerings use now (or the J1772 which is the combo part of the standard).

Charging in parks: Get PlugShare and see what's available. Most any park that accommodates RVs has 40A level II charging available. Some hotels/motels/campgrounds/attractions have this too and many have Tesla destination chargers which can charge Rivians. Remember, this is today. Rivian may decide to install Rivian destination chargers at such locations. Rivian would have to be crazy not to provide or at least make available a set of adapters for the common 240 receptacles.

Home charging: There are several offerings currently available that will charge the Rivian. Using the Rivian as a backup source isn't going to happen as the NEC currently prohibits use of EV's for that purpose. EVSE must be equipped with circuitry that prevents it. It has already been stated that the onboard charge will accept 48 amps from mains. The only way to charge faster is to have a DC charger and I don't see those coming for the home market any time soon.

Bells and Whistles: Rivian is perfectly aware of what Tesla offers in terms of entertainment, range/fuel condition monitoring, internet and so on. They may drop a few things from Tesla's list (but not, we hope Emissions Testing) and they may add a few unique things of their own but I think you'll get most of what you get with a Tesla (or other modern BEV) if, perhaps, in a different format. No Falcon Wing Doors, though.

AC in the bed: This is going to be tough one for them to decide. At the unveilings they have shown a couple of 120V outlets. That will satisfy most of the urban cowboys but Elon has promised 240V with some muscle behind it.

Spare Tire: It's included.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I did think of something: A Pitot-static system ($28 from Amazon). This would enable the vehicle to know what head wind it is encountering and thus make it better able to estimate battery remaining at a future waypoint.

FutureBoy61

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
There are no certainties at this point but the indications are pretty strong as to what the answers to some of these questions are.

Body Dings: Get them repaired at a body shop. There was originally a problem with this with Tesla as you had to go to a Tesla approved shop in order to maintain your warranty but that was because Tesla's use lots of aluminum. Don't know whether Rivian is made of the same stuff. This might be a problem with Rivian at least initially.

Towing: It is going to eat your lunch. What does it do to gas mileage on your current vehicle? It is going to do about the same to your EV. I used to tow a small trailer behind a Lexus. I had to fill up 4 times in a trip as opposed to 3 times without it. I expect if I towed it behind my Telsa consumption would go up by about the same amount i.e. from 300 wH/mi to 400. There is a You Tube about some guys who towed a horse trailer behind a Tesla X. Consumption went from 330 to over 500. You can expect about the same. WRT cold weather you can expect a further increase in consumption especially if there is snow on roads.

Charging Connector: Putting Telsa's proprietary standard aside there is really only one charging standard out there. That is CCS/combo and that is what Rivian will be using and that is what all the home EVSE offerings use now (or the J1772 which is the combo part of the standard).

Charging in parks: Get PlugShare and see what's available. Most any park that accommodates RVs has 40A level II charging available. Some hotels/motels/campgrounds/attractions have this too and many have Tesla destination chargers which can charge Rivians. Remember, this is today. Rivian may decide to install Rivian destination chargers at such locations. Rivian would have to be crazy not to provide or at least make available a set of adapters for the common 240 receptacles.

Home charging: There are several offerings currently available that will charge the Rivian. Using the Rivian as a backup source isn't going to happen as the NEC currently prohibits use of EV's for that purpose. EVSE must be equipped with circuitry that prevents it. It has already been stated that the onboard charge will accept 48 amps from mains. The only way to charge faster is to have a DC charger and I don't see those coming for the home market any time soon.

Bells and Whistles: Rivian is perfectly aware of what Tesla offers in terms of entertainment, range/fuel condition monitoring, internet and so on. They may drop a few things from Tesla's list (but not, we hope Emissions Testing) and they may add a few unique things of their own but I think you'll get most of what you get with a Tesla (or other modern BEV) if, perhaps, in a different format. No Falcon Wing Doors, though.

AC in the bed: This is going to be tough one for them to decide. At the unveilings they have shown a couple of 120V outlets. That will satisfy most of the urban cowboys but Elon has promised 240V with some muscle behind it.

Spare Tire: It's included.
THANKS, BTW, my ICE pick up (2010 Ford F150 2WD 4.6l 3v) takes about a 45 - 50% hit in mileage when towing my 9000lbs RV trailer loaded. A watt is a watt is a watt, ICE or electric doesn't matter. It's hard to change the laws of physics.

N8DFetzer

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav 4, R1T Launch Edition Green
YES! I've lost count the number of people I've told about Rivian EAVs. I might have to stop in case Rivian comes out with a referral program. (kiddin')

Off the top of my head (meaning I'll probably be back to update a few times ;) ) ...
  • Full-size spare tire option for R1S. Even if it means carving section out of the frunk along with anchor points
  • Vehicle entry: keyless (keypad and/or card), fob and smartphone app
  • Robust smartphone app
  • Cameras that can also record for security purposes when vehicle is parked / not moving
  • Heated and cooled seats
  • "Camper mode" to run climate control when camping in the vehicle cabin
  • HEPA cabin filter system
  • Onboard route planner sensitive to location, distance, accessibility and status of DC fast charging stations
  • Regen braking option to switch from accelerator to brake pedal along with selectable levels of regen
  • Since frunk is so deep/large, a front lift-gate for easy loading/unloading
  • Proximity detector of some-sort that will auto-open frunk lid - handy when carry large loads and both hands not available to open frunk
  • 110v/USB outlets and air compressor available on R1S like on the R1T
  • Rearview mirror can switch to rearview "display" for when view through cabin and/or bed is obstructed
  • Side view mirrors retract when vehicle parked/off
  • Running boards (no preference if they retract or not)
  • Let's see, what else ...

upload_2019-5-31_18-10-12.gif
Things I want to see on R1T:
  • Bright rear fog lights for outdoor activities
  • Keyless /card entry for sports/surfing etc not requiring me to carry a key/fob
  • Cam’s Front/rear/sides with recording capability to identify those who may harm our vehicles (Sentry mode)
  • Heated steering wheel & side view mirrors
  • Heads up display
  • Ability to change color of interior lighting
  • Racks are already an option included but I hope they are locking. And attachments for different sports
  • Cameras in side the production facility so that I can watch my truck I ordered being built as it goes through the assembly line with Notifications emailed to me when it is about to pass through the next stage so I can view it on that camera. And Progress notifications as well. Keep the excitement going
  • Some kind of reward program for us that have pre-ordered. Also early stock options should Rivian go public.
  • A referral program for us as we are the ones telling EVERYONE about Rivian !!!

100 percent want Air Con to Crotch Technology integration. If it can be done in a Kia Optima, it can be done in America's truck.

Last edited:

FutureBoy61

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
100 percent want Air Con to Crotch Technology integration. If it can be done in a Kia Optima, it can be done in America's truck.
A must are running/Side steps boards that are easily replaced because they will get smashed on rocks/logs, etc. but hopefully do a decent job protecting the costly vehicle body panels and other critical parts of the vehicle. I've ruined my F-150 side boards on rocks yet kept the vehicle in good shape and really haven't been all that hard on it. This R1T is designed to run off road. I want to have fun with it but not break it or pay dearly for having some fun.

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I want to see a quality vehicle come off the line without all of the issues you read about on the I-Pace and
E-tron forums. If Rivian becomes just another sound board for problem after problem it won't go well. Options are what they are. I skipped both of those vehicles and am very glad I did. Stopped by Audi Sunday and they had 6 E-trons sitting on the lot. All MSRP'S about $83K. We should stress a properly working vehicle. I think the real buyers have not logged in yet. Mostly looky-loos and those that like to insult others.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
One of the most appealing features of my Tesla is the large Google Earth display. It gives a far clearer picture of the environment in which you're driving than any navigation system map I have ever seen. I like to ride around looking at construction, and on numerous occasions I have taken the Tesla instead of another car simply because it's far easier to see where you are when wandering around twisting roads on the Tesla screen. Also, it's nice to drive around and be able to see what is lying on the other side of a tree line, on the other bank of a body of water, around a bend, or over a hill. I almost feel hemmed in now when I drive cars without that display.

Particularly in a vehicle meant for off-road and wilderness use, having a large Google Earth display of the surrounding topography would seem to be very useful.

Last edited:

FutureBoy61

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
For off road or back road navigation. It would be cool to have an application on my home computer that transferred between the Rivian onboard computer and my home computer for planning off road routes/charge points and projected range, etc. when traveling off the grid. Also, if I get stuck somewhere without power or just plan stuck. the vehicle could send out a come get me help request so my other Rivian buddies could come out to get me unstuck or recharge me. Add a power winch into my wish list too (for me or to help someone else out of a pinch in a ditch or pond or something) and maybe a flare gun :)

Spoonito

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, Explorer
Would like to see:
*More interior options in terms of colors, seating arrangements (i.e. 2nd row captains chair w/ swivel instead of a bench) and different options for trim (carbon fiber, different woods, aluminum, etc.).
*Wheel size and style options
*Premium audio upgrades (B&W, Burmester, etc)
*Bigger fender flares
*Media center for 2nd row
*4 zone climate control (R1S)
* Prewire for Aux switches

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm concerned that the first release will already have too many bells and whistles.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
1. HUD
2. For the R1S, would be cool to have some sort of integrated bike rack that does not make the car longer. The tire mount racks save space when parking, maybe Rivian could add some sort of boss to the back for such a bike rack without the tire. The hitch mount racks are no ideal for me, not just for the added length, but also taking it off and on if you have to tow something. Maybe partner with Thule or Yakima to figure out something elegant.
3. Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto (if that exists)...having to take my phone out of pocket is annoying.
4. The rear view mirror with a camera a la Range/Land Rover is very very cool
5. I mentioned this earlier, but Rivian's have an unprecedented amount of storage. Storage for me that is going to be empty 90% of the time. If they made the Truck/SUV somewhat shorter they would still have more storage than any comparable vehicle on the market. And then would be easier to park which we do daily. It strikes me as very old Detroit thinking that bigger is better and more valuable - like a mid sized truck is a 'budget' decision vs. functional one. I know I am preaching to the Rivian choir about total value vs. size, but I still would have preferred a few inches shorter for the R1T and R1S. I also don't drive 7 people around ever (I can't :) but see that happening 1-2 times a year at most. Curious how often a 3rd row seat actually gets used in the real world w/ other cars. I seldom see 7 people in cars.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@hola29

1) Amen, totally agree
5) I will need all three rows & every bit of that storage space on a regular basis, and will need a solution for additional storage for longer or camping trips. I would consider third row & max storage more of a need by families (who comprise a lot of SUV buyers), but who would want to pay Rivian money for a more diminutive SUV?

mtnras

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3500, Subaru Ascent, Rivian R1T
emergency charge options... accessory battery, generator, etc. we live in idaho and it's cold/remote...

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Curious how often a 3rd row seat actually gets used in the real world w/ other cars.
I'm retired and often take day outings with other retirees in which 5 or 6 people want to participate. For that reason I keep a Honda Odyssey minivan, as minivans are the only vehicles that are truly comfortable for adults in the third row and offer reasonable entry and exit. I also lend it out quite often to friends who plan similar outings, especially when their families visit Florida.

I have a reservation for an R1S but am opting for the 180 kWh battery which dispenses with the third row seat. Rivian claims the third row will accommodate 85-percentile adults comfortably. However, I doubt that even some of my 85-percentile elderly friends will find it all that comfortable with their bad backs, replaced knees and hips, etc. (Hey, some days we're just glad to be alive.) I'll be keeping the minivan for them.

However, after driving a Tesla for four years, I intend never again to be without an electric vehicle. There is simply no comparable driving experience, especially if you like smooth and intense power delivery.

I also have a reservation for a Lucid Air sedan which promises to offer great rear seat accommodations. However, I am slowly coming to recognize that, as I get older, the greater headroom, the more upright driving position, and the higher floorboard for ingress and egress of an SUV will become more and more appealing.

This gets me to one of my big wishes for the R1S. Without a third-row seat, I hope Rivian will make is possible to push the second-row seats back a few inches further. It would make the rear quarters of the vehicle truly limousine-like.
Sponsored