Sponsored

What would you do? Get LE version (300+) or wait for MaxPack (400+)?

What do you think?

• Get the truck sooner, and sacrifice the extra 100 miles

• Be patient and wait for that MaxPack

Results are only viewable after voting.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Good. Dam. Everybody knows downhill you gain range. Everybody knows against the wind or uphill you loose range. Stop, and go traffic. No help there
I thought everyone understood that it is of great benefit in stop and go traffic too. In fact it's more beneficial there than in constant speed cruise on a level highway. Tesla apparently picked up a couple miles EPA range by bringing it right down to 0 in the hill hold mode.

Next time you are driving in stop and go look at your power meter. Every time it dips below 0 regen is capturing energy that would otherwise be wasted in heating brake rotors. I suppose that you could manage your speed in stop and go such that you would never see the meter go negative but I for one certainly don't drive that way. It would annoy the people behind me for sure. But if you could practically drive that way then regen would be of no benefit.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Note: The poll results have shifted over time. Initially people who went now outnumbered people who waited by a fair margin - 8% or so. Now the spread is much less. Interesting.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You'll have to come visit! With your user name, I'm guess you also bike? (I do like to keep the rubber side down though lol)
Our last trip out west was to Tofino(at the very cusp of the pandemic, first two weeks of Februar), we were smart enough to stay a couple nights in Nelson on the way out. One of my favourite places to visit, I hadn’t been in winter before.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Couple of things caught my eye as I skimmed back over this thread:
The EPA figures are not realistic.
Just back from another 3 day tour around Vermont and NY and again astounded at how realistic the EPA figures are.

Also I can't really foresee that battery materials will be getting exponentially cheaper anytime in the next 18 to 36 months.
I looked at data going back to 2011 and found

$/kwh = -133 +1054.4*exp(- (t - 2011)/6.0295)

(drops in half every 4.15 years) to fit the history pretty well. Whether we can foresee continued exponential decline into the future or not is obviously debatable but if it persists we would expect to see decline in cost to, respectively, 100*exp(-1.5/6) = 77.8% or 100*exp(-3/6)= 60.7% in, respectively 18 or 36 months.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Couple of things caught my eye as I skimmed back over this thread:
Just back from another 3 day tour around Vermont and NY and again astounded at how realistic the EPA figures are.

I looked at data going back to 2011 and found

$/kwh = -133 +1054.4*exp(- (t - 2011)/6.0295)

(drops in half every 4.15 years) to fit the history pretty well. Whether we can foresee continued exponential decline into the future or not is obviously debatable but if it persists we would expect to see decline in cost to, respectively, 100*exp(-1.5/6) = 77.8% or 100*exp(-3/6)= 60.7% in, respectively 18 or 36 months.
Agreed on the batteries, my 2015 Model S had a 106k MSRP, same as today's Model S with same options. Yes these vehicles are better, but not necessarily cheaper. Battery tech has come down a bit, but that too will likely plateau with demand.

It's just that everything else involved in vehicle production keeps on getting more expensive especially when taken into regard of household income. Seems like a myth of "affordable cars" when they just getting more expensive in regards to what people can afford.

"On average, new cars sold for more than $36,000 in February 2019, up 29 percent from the same month in 2009. Meanwhile, median household income in the US has only risen to around $62,000, an increase of about six percent over the past decade."

"The average household was less able to buy a new car in June than in May 2021 as car prices rose far more than other goods from May to June and incomes fell, according to a report by Cox Automotive."

You may get more, but you pay more... We'll see.
Sponsored