Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

This question kind of came up in another thread, but I wanted to call it out.

Right now my truck refuses to connect to WiFi - I even installed a new 2.4Ghz router very close to the truck to try and address this (I do have a service call open, and am waiting to hear back).

Others have said that OTA updates can be received over LTE - so that lead me to wonder:

What would happen if I didn't enable WiFi - what would I miss out on. The only thing I can think of is connectivity in a situation where there isn't LTE but there is WiFi (a remote campground with satellite Internet maybe?).
Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Currently, OTAs work over LTE for sure, mine downloaded at work yesterday so you won't miss anything there. Of course, AT&T could crack down on data usage and force Rivian to update over Wifi only but who knows.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

One annoyance I have with Wi-Fi on my R1T is when I leave my garage, and try to use my custom integration to close my garage door. I say "Alexa, close the garage door", then Alexa complains that she does not have an internet connection because the truck is just a bit too far for the Wi-Fi to still be working, but hasn't switched over to cellular yet.

So you'll miss that!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

One annoyance I have with Wi-Fi on my R1T is when I leave my garage, and try to use my custom integration to close my garage door. I say "Alexa, close the garage door", then Alexa complains that she does not have an internet connection because the truck is just a bit too far for the Wi-Fi to still be working, but hasn't switched over to cellular yet.

So you'll miss that!
I'm debating adding another AP that gives better coverage on the road.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

So you'll miss that!
Newer software versions shift to LTE as soon as you take it out of park.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Newer software versions shift to LTE as soon as you take it out of park.
I'm on .19 and had the same network issue this morning that usually happens.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm on .19 and had the same network issue this morning that usually happens.
Hmmm. Mine shifts almost instantly and I use Alexa commands from the drive most days. I used to have the same WiFi/LTE issue before but works great now...

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban

Right now my truck refuses to connect to WiFi - I even installed a new 2.4Ghz router very close to the truck to try and address this (I do have a service call open, and am waiting to hear back).

Others have said that OTA updates can be received over LTE - so that lead me to wonder:

What would happen if I didn't enable WiFi - what would I miss out on. The only thing I can think of is connectivity in a situation where there isn't LTE but there is WiFi (a remote campground with satellite Internet maybe?).

My truck is also refusing to find or connect to the wifi. Even installed a new wifi extender like yourself. No dice. Trying to figure out what to do get the truck to connect.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

More energy consumption when idle.

Celluar takes more power, and varies by signal strength.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
My truck is also refusing to find or connect to the wifi. Even installed a new wifi extender like yourself. No dice. Trying to figure out what to do get the truck to connect.
Do you have any symbols or spaces in your wifi name/password? A lot of common software coding bugs relate to poor handling of non-alpha characters.

Sponsored

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
Do you have any symbols or spaces in your wifi name/password? A lot of common software coding bugs relate to poor handling of non-alpha characters.
I figured it out: I had to change the encryption. The owner’s manual specifies which encryption the R1 can and cannot accept.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Without Wi-Fi, you’ll probably miss out on Rivian gathering as much data about you and your driving habits.

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist

does your SSID for your 2.4ghz wifi have any special character or spaces... that might be a reason why it wont connect.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

More energy consumption when idle.

Celluar takes more power, and varies by signal strength.
Is there a scenario where I am idling and have WiFi? In my driveway I'd be connected to my charger, so it's not really an issue. Is there something else I'm missing?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there a scenario where I am idling and have WiFi? In my driveway I'd be connected to my charger, so it's not really an issue. Is there something else I'm missing?
Many destinations have free public Wi-Fi, like schools, some Little League parks, camp grounds, WA State ferries used to and others may still, and other places you may be sitting and waiting for some time.

I will say that there is no way in hell I'm connecting my truck to those networks, but they exist...
Sponsored