Sponsored

What Will Be The First Song You Play In Your New Rivian?

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Wow. Great thread.

I think mine will be something from Dave Matthews, James Taylor, and/or CSN.

I'll ponder this one for a bit until 'the one!' is found. :)
?, ?, & ?!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Zool,

Hearing this for the first time today sent me back in time. As a kid, and a night owl from the first time I escaped my crib (and I do mean "crib", as in "baby jail"), I used to listen to a cool A.M. station on a transistor radio on low, under the covers, after the rest of the family was out cold for the night. These two songs came racing back to me after hearing Imi Kamoze. Thanks for turning me on to this song. I'm going to be exploring Imi and a lot of other artists thanks to you and the input from everyone on this thread.

I'm guessing you've heard both of these before, but I know I've enjoyed them for years. Wilson and Sly both have wonderful diaries of music. I'm fortunate to still have all of my vinyl from the 60's on, in both 33&⅓ and 45 rpm. If I ever become homeless, all of my vinyl is still coming with me.

Thanks again!

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in the same boat as @Zool ...some sweet reggae/dancehall music. For me, likely Gregory Isaacs...

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Hey @DuckTruck

Hotstepper has been my wife's ringtone for years and even that can't ruin it. I don't know Ini's later, dancehall stuff very well but his self titled album from '84 is a decent roots album. If you think you might be into reggae. If you're not, all of it sounds the same... :)

Your Wilson Pickett track sent me digging back to the Atlantic Soul Classics album, which is to say – I searched the playlist on spotify. That one was on heavy rotation back in my early twenties and I was certain that "Land of a Thousand Dances" was on it. But it turned out to be "In The Midnight Hour." Another classic.

I'm not very familiar with Sly beyond the oft-sampled hits. Lots to explore there. Amazing that all this music (indeed all of humankind's achievements) are just a few thumb taps away. Pretty good time to be alive.

@boredcleaner

Yes, buddy. The Cool Ruler. I was lucky enough to see Gregory in 2008, not long before he died. It was legendary. I play this track a lot and often think of it when I'm buying something I either don't need or can't afford. Not that it ever dissuades me. However, a hundred thousand dollar truck is a whole new ball of wax.

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hey @DuckTruck

Hotstepper has been my wife's ringtone for years and even that can't ruin it. I don't know Ini's later, dancehall stuff very well but his self titled album from '84 is a decent roots album. If you think you might be into reggae. If you're not, all of it sounds the same... :)

Your Wilson Pickett track sent me digging back to the Atlantic Soul Classics album, which is to say – I searched the playlist on spotify. That one was on heavy rotation back in my early twenties and I was certain that "Land of a Thousand Dances" was on it. But it turned out to be "In The Midnight Hour." Another classic.

I'm not very familiar with Sly beyond the oft-sampled hits. Lots to explore there. Amazing that all this music (indeed all of humankind's achievements) are just a few thumb taps away. Pretty good time to be alive.

@boredcleaner

Yes, buddy. The Cool Ruler. I was lucky enough to see Gregory in 2008, not long before he died. It was legendary. I play this track a lot and often think of it when I'm buying something I either don't need or can't afford. Not that it ever dissuades me. However, a hundred thousand dollar truck is a whole new ball of wax.

One of my favorite car songs is Mustang Sally by Wilson Pickett. It's always been a good one when cruising around town. Don't forget to crank up the bass!

Sponsored

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Nobody's will be Neil Young :CWL:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Greta Van Fleet - Highway Tune - the band I play in covers this song.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
”Hope” by the Descendents or “Once in a Lifetime” by the Talking Heads seem appropriate. Great thread, btw!

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

”Hope” by the Descendents or “Once in a Lifetime” by the Talking Heads seem appropriate. Great thread, btw!

COdogman,

I love your choice of "Once in a Lifetime", not only for the song, or for the appropriateness of the title itself, but mostly because I love all of Talking Heads library of music. And not to be confrontational, but my CDO mandates that I make the following observation about your wonderful selection. The group put out a double live album called "The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads", in part because they (and, by this, I assume it is a David Byrne thing) wanted no expressed definite article within the band name, meaning they were "Talking Heads" rather than "The Talking Heads". Not a big deal, but this quirkiness is one of those things that make me love the band and their music even more.

I'm sad I never got to see them while they were performing together, as I've heard they put on outstanding live shows. That said, they will always have a very special and important place in the soundtrack of my life.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-name-of-this-band-is-talking-heads-mw0000199932

The following is the live version of "Naive Melody". The studio version ended the movie "Wall Street", with Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen, his Dad, Martin, and Daryl Hannah. Completely unrelated to the movie, I always loved that the band could stick this sweet tune into the middle of a set that included, "Burning Down The House", "Psycho Killer", "Life During Wartime", and "Making Flippy Floppy", and pull it off so well.

Turn. It. Up.

Talking Heads - Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place)

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
COdogman,

I love your choice of "Once in a Lifetime", not only for the song, or for the appropriateness of the title itself, but mostly because I love all of Talking Heads library of music. And not to be confrontational, but my CDO mandates that I make the following observation about your wonderful selection. The group put out a double live album called "The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads", in part because they (and, by this, I assume it is a David Byrne thing) wanted no expressed definite article within the band name, meaning they were "Talking Heads" rather than "The Talking Heads". Not a big deal, but this quirkiness is one of those things that make me love the band and their music even more.

I'm sad I never got to see them while they were performing together, as I've heard they put on outstanding live shows. That said, they will always have a very special and important place in the soundtrack of my life.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-name-of-this-band-is-talking-heads-mw0000199932

The following is the live version of "Naive Melody". The studio version ended the movie "Wall Street", with Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen, his Dad, Martin, and Daryl Hannah. Completely unrelated to the movie, I always loved that the band could stick this sweet tune into the middle of a set that included, "Burning Down The House", "Psycho Killer", "Life During Wartime", and "Making Flippy Floppy", and pull it off so well.

Turn. It. Up.

Talking Heads - Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place)
Thank you for sharing, Duck! I admit I did not know about that album at all. I will check it out! I have always loved them because I felt like they were one of the truly unique sounds out there and Byrne is a creative genius. I know he performs Once in a Lifetime during his stage shows sometimes, but this performance on SNL in 2020 just blew me away. You can still see just how much he enjoys doing it.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I guess "Long May You Run" is no longer under consideration.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I guess "Long May You Run" is no longer under consideration.
It's still available on Spotify with The Sills-Young Band. Several songs I like are still available, with different groups.....such as "For What it's Worth" and "Teach your Children".

OP
OP
DuckTruck

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thank you for sharing, Duck! I admit I did not know about that album at all. I will check it out! I have always loved them because I felt like they were one of the truly unique sounds out there and Byrne is a creative genius. I know he performs Once in a Lifetime during his stage shows sometimes, but this performance on SNL in 2020 just blew me away. You can still see just how much he enjoys doing it.

Thanks for sharing this clip! I did not know about Byrne's SNL appearance. Almost three decades later, and still a world-class performer.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was....
Sponsored