Sponsored

What will be the EPA rating for the 135KWh R1T?

EPA range expectations

• Total voters

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Remember that as little as 20 amperes at 240 (two outlets in a kitchen) is an 8.5 mile an hour charging "infrastructure". You as a first adopter in a remote region are going to have to be inventive but it is doable if you have an electric utility.
Agreed, the issue is no charging in the winter. Summer has RV parks open that offer 50 amp plugs for a fee. I'm 306 miles from Anchorage and about 350 miles from Fairbanks. There is currently no reliable charging.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Quick Question, why would Rivian not adjust for wheel size to keep the EPA estimates equal?

I can understand you can't really do that with an ICE vehicle, but with an EV, my assumption is you could...I am not an expert...simply asking the question.:angel:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Quick Question, why would Rivian not adjust for wheel size to keep the EPA estimates equal?

I can understand you can't really do that with an ICE vehicle, but with an EV, my assumption is you could...I am not an expert...simply asking the question.:angel:
They certainly could put a bigger battery in cars delivered with less efficient tires. But then people who selected the more efficient tires would be pissed that they got a smaller battery.

You would end up with a large chunk of buyers ordering the inefficient tire version and immediately tossing out the tires just so they could get the bigger battery. I certainly would do that if it were an option.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

If its anything like Telsa within a certain % there's no need to differentiate efficiency amongst different wheels. That's why the standard Model Y 19" Gemini wheels and the optional 20" Induction wheels have the same "326 Mile" Range on the Tesla site. Given the larger sizes and AT option Rivian might have to spell out the differences.

They could also go the Ford and Porsche route of under rating range and keep everything at 300 Miles or something. That way in real world use when you actually get 300 on the AT or 22" there's no issue.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
What? This poll doesn't have a "Uphill for 20 miles, barefoot, in 20 feet of snow ... BOTH WAYS" option? This pole is rigged ... RIGGED I TELLZ YA!

;)

Sponsored

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
They could also go the Ford and Porsche route of under rating range and keep everything at 300 Miles or something. That way in real world use when you actually get 300 on the AT or 22" there's no issue.
This is exactly what I’d like to see. There will be enough variability in range based on driving style that it makes more sense to me to market a similar “underrated” number for all wheel/tire models.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Whether the EPA requires it or not, a great thing Rivian can do to inform it's customers is split out ranges between highway and city. None of the other EV manufacturers do this and I think it confuses buyers coming from ICE vehicles. Most of us are used to great range on long highway drives. If EPA range is 300 miles, people will assume they can make it that far on the highway. Rivian should help clear this up for it's customers.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Whether the EPA requires it or not, a great thing Rivian can do to inform it's customers is split out ranges between highway and city. None of the other EV manufacturers do this and I think it confuses buyers coming from ICE vehicles. Most of us are used to great range on long highway drives. If EPA range is 300 miles, people will assume they can make it that far on the highway. Rivian should help clear this up for it's customers.
EPA has city, highway, & combined ratings. The problem is that the highway protocols are not realistic.

I think what you're wanting is a realistic highway number, like "flat highway, no wind, 75 mph", or something like that, right?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think what you're wanting is a realistic highway number, like "flat highway, no wind, 75 mph", or something like that, right?
I have previously suggested to Rivian that they share a more real world example of range such as what you described. The EPA range, for what it's worth, can still be the official metric but additional data points would be welcomed.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
EPA has city, highway, & combined ratings. The problem is that the highway protocols are not realistic.
I think everyone appreciates that actual range is dependent on many variables and that, therefore, no single number can adequately describe what you will actually experience when driving. Thus "efficiency" (ratio of realized to rated range) is a random variable and indeed lookubg at data from he (Tesla) fleet confirms this:
Rivian R1T R1S What will be the EPA rating for the 135KWh R1T? IMG_1630

As the histogram shows a fair number of drivers average consumption that is better than the rated consumption. For them the rated value is "unrealistic" on the conservative side. For the majority, however, it is "unrealistic" on the optomistic side.

So let's change the EPA's method such that the consumption is scaled to the mode of the histogram. The dispersion would stlll be there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I have previously suggested to Rivian that they share a more real world example of range such as what you described. The EPA range, for what it's worth, can still be the official metric but additional data points would be welcomed.
So let's do that. The dispersion will still be there.

What we are going to have to do is drive the vehicles and collect data both as individuals and collectively. Presumably people will develop apps that do what Stats does for the Teslas.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So let's do that. The dispersion will still be there.

What we are going to have to do is drive the vehicles and collect data both as individuals and collectively. Presumably people will develop apps that do what Stats does for the Teslas.
Ultimately I don't care about the collective data set, only my own experience. I know from ICE experience and my own driving style that I will be on the lower end of the collective data. However, until I get my R1S and obtain my own range data, I would welcome having Rivian provide an alternate perspective on range.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
This is a strange question, I watched both of the full interviews @rivianstories involving two of the people who participated in the preorder test drive event at the normal plant.

I honestly can't remember nor do I recall them talking about the range of the vehicles in any way shape or form.

Did I just totally spaced out for the two hours I was listening to these guys talk about driving the R1T and R1S, or did they not mention the range of the vehicles?

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
This is a strange question, I watched both of the full interviews @rivianstories involving two of the people who participated in the preorder test drive event at the normal plant.

I honestly can't remember nor do I recall them talking about the range of the vehicles in any way shape or form.

Did I just totally spaced out for the two hours I was listening to these guys talk about driving the R1T and R1S, or did they not mention the range of the vehicles?
Both have discussed it but neither saw a total range indicator for the vehicles they were in, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3

Yes, it does seem like the people at rivianstories do not care about range very much. They even have a video titled which tires should I chose and they don't mention the potential impact on range that tire choice will have as a factor in their choice.

I can actually understand their lack of concern. It really makes no difference if you start the day with 1000 miles or 100 miles on the gauge when you only drive 50 miles/day. Most people's daily commute is not nearly long enough that the choice of tires has any meaningful impact.

But when you go on a road trip, range matters. If you go on road trips more often than you climb hills made of boulders, I think that not considering the impact tire choice will have on range is a mistake.
Sponsored

Last edited: