Sponsored

What we might see in that configurator: Options, Launch Edition, etc...

Coy

First Name
Coy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Isuzu Ascender
Re Charging: Wireless charging seems to be the most convenient for owners with home charging capability.
Just drive into your parking space and get out of the car. The car will charge overnight automatically. Keeping
the charging cable for use when on an extended trip, using the CCS protocol which is already in place, though
we may need additional stations in the remote parke, etc.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Re Charging: Wireless charging seems to be the most convenient for owners with home charging capability.
Just drive into your parking space and get out of the car. The car will charge overnight automatically. Keeping
the charging cable for use when on an extended trip, using the CCS protocol which is already in place, though
we may need additional stations in the remote parke, etc.
I sent an email to Rivian (for them to add to their "leave us alone, we're busy!" pile :) asking them to strongly consider offering the capability of magnetic resonance charging and to partner with the team mentioned in this post: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...vian-or-from-the-rivian-company.177/post-5902

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are dozens of chargers suitable for charging the Rivians on the market today so I rather doubt that Rivian will waste time and resources on development of their own given all the other stuff they have to do to get the vehicles to market. They might, however, work out a deal with one of the existing makers to put one of their existing products intp a custom Rivian package. There are lots of chargers out there suitable for charging Tesla vehicles too but that spiffy looking thing Tesla sells with its logo on it definitely adds a measure of panache.

As for wireless: no, not initially at least. Partly for the same reasons and secondly because wireless is more expensive. less efficient, requires modification to the vehicle mechanical, electrical and software designs and does not, in the residential application, bring much of anything to the party. I don't really expect to see much wireless charging until such times as automated driving becomes a reality.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Thanks for the info. Well written!

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Does anyone think Rivian will produce a home charging system?
I would say no as others have. However, I can easily see Rivian partnering with one of the current EVSE suppliers so Rivian can offer one (possibly from a list of different EVSEs) as an option at purchase and/or include it in one of their option packages. With Rivian being a luxury brand and presumably wanting to make the EV purchase/adoption easier on the consumer, I won't be surprised if Rivian even went as far as offering an EVSE installation option. And if they do, keep in mind the Federal Tax Credit for Electric Vehicle Chargers Renewed though I'm not sure how this would work with the timing of converting one's pre-order to an order, payment, etc. and the requirement it occur in 2020 for the tax credit.

Sponsored

Coy

First Name
Coy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Isuzu Ascender
Granted, Rivian doesn't need to get into this aspect of charging at all. We ( owners ) would need connection points so we could have
third party/Cox install the mobile portion of the charging system and Witricity.com or Pluglesspower.com install the base system.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I came across below after CES where amazon displayed built in Alexa feature. Since amazon is investing in rivian, this could be an option that will be offered whilr configuring. If you open that amazon link, you will find more details.
Rivian R1T R1S What we might see in that configurator: Options, Launch Edition, etc... Screenshot_20200322-110940_Google

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Granted, Rivian doesn't need to get into this aspect of charging at all. We ( owners ) would need connection points so we could have
third party/Cox install the mobile portion of the charging system and Witricity.com or Pluglesspower.com install the base system.
Then who installs the receiver unit on the car and where does he find the ICS/ICD for it ? AFAIK these do not exist. Perhaps this is not fully understood. You don't just put a box on the floor and then drive your car over it. The system involves paired resonant coils one of which mounts on the car and must interface with its electrical hardware and software. This means that the car manufacturer has to get together with the charger manufacturer and work out the interface details (ICS/ICD). Could be all this is going on but Toyota is the only licensee that Witricity is claiming at the moment.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Note that the pictured wall chargers are pretty expensive compared to a Tesla HPWC. In thinking about how you might want to charge keep in mind that the HPWC will charge a Rivian vehicle with an adapter (TelsaTap) and that the new generation HPWC can be networked over WiFi to manage total charging load between several vehicles. I'm pretty sure that most of you will wind up with more than one BEV. My R1T will be the second in my "fleet" and I'm certainly not planning on replacing any of my ICE vehicles with another ICE when their times come.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Home chargers are offered by numerous 3rd party vendors so it is not "critical" for Rivian to offer one. They should as part of a one-stop-shop solution (and I imagine the profit is pretty good on a charger), but its not a show-stopper.

The EV market is completely different than when Tesla launched the model S and there was literally zero infrastructure.

This is the least of my worries for a Rivian launch.

I am very interested in Wallbox Quasar - the potential to use my massive Rivian battery as a backup power source is a great feature.

https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Interesting. Most of us want to prolong the life of the battery.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
In Northern California where PG&E is the service provider, electrical outages are (increasingly) common and, for an all-electric household like mine, being able to draw power from a Rivian to power a household is hugely attractive. Heck, even if you have gas or propane to power some or all of your appliances, having a backup is appealing. Most outages are a day or two, so pulling power from a Rivian isn't going to deplete the battery pack. I read or heard somewhere that a mid-size Rivian battery pack could probably power a typical home for a week.

So having a home charger that can be used as a source/channel for backup power is not so far fetched. And thinking about the reliability and variability of electrical power delivery across the country, there might actually be quite a bit of interest in Rivians as backup power sources.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
In Northern California where PG&E is the service provider, electrical outages are (increasingly) common and, for an all-electric household like mine, being able to draw power from a Rivian to power a household is hugely attractive.
Everyone's requirements, desirements and perceptions are his own. Power outages around here are lots less frequent now that I've installed backup. I want the backup but I also want a full tank of energy in my car thus I would not consider the car as a source for backup power.

I read or heard somewhere that a mid-size Rivian battery pack could probably power a typical home for a week.
Don't believe what you read or hear. Find out what your actual energy consumption is and draw your conclusions based on that. For example my average power consumption is 2,27 kW in the transitional seasons when no heating or AC is required. A 120 kWh pack could carry that load for 52 hrs (2 days + 5 hrs). That could be stretched some by not using the clothes dryer or electric ovens etc, But in the colder months the load goes up to 5.71 kW average. A 120 kW pack could sustain that for only 21 hrs. Load shedding would help some here too.

This last month I've been using 3.95 kW average but I've been getting 1.4 kW from the sun so my effective utilization is 2.5 kW implying I could go 48 hrs with a Rivian battery if I could charge it from the sun and this is where your idea gets interesting. If the Rivian could be made to look like a Powerwall (i.e. able to accept power from a solar array when the grid is down) then it could be useful in an emergency at the right time of year in the right climate. It wouldn't work around here because average power production from the sun is less than 1 kW in December and we have the heating load. Thus a generator is really required where I live but not everybody lives here.

So having a home charger that can be used as a source/channel for backup power is not so far fetched. And thinking about the reliability and variability of electrical power delivery across the country, there might actually be quite a bit of interest in Rivians as backup power sources.
Combined with solar it might make some sense if your numbers are right. Most power outages are less than 24 hours (at least around here but sometimes they are over a week).

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
I love to imagine what will be offered, really I do! But I am ITCHING to get at that configurator and enter my wildest dream R1S and my most modest requirements R1S and see
1) Price,
2) a rendered vehicle with 360 viewing inside and out
3) delivery date or window...

Then I can confidently make my choice. I also have a reservation for a Mustang Mach E - and I am an instant gratification kind of gal - so I really want, no need, this data so I don't go jumping the gun if the Mustang is ready first....

OR - I could temper myself and breathe...:angel:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
AJ, here's another story about Wallbox, a bi-directional home charger, that won this year's Edison Award. https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/25/wallbox-bi-directional-charger-wins-coveted-edison-award/

There might be quite a bit of interest in using a Rivian this way. Originally, I thought it might be of interest only in a few places like Northern California where PG&E's reputation and reliability are roundly questioned, but as I think more generally about the issue, a Rivian in the garage might just be a good source of backup power for folks across the continent. In my own case, I have a 24 panel solar electric system rated at 6.5 kW but it's connected to the grid, and I don't really have a way to store power for my own house. A Rivian as a power source for home emergencies is quite appealing.
Sponsored