Sponsored

What we might see in that configurator: Options, Launch Edition, etc...

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Lots of info out there but I thought I'd try to pull everything together as things are likely to start getting more concrete in the following months. Please feel free to correct/suggest and I'll update.

Standard to every trim

Note: I'm not 100% sure all of these are standard but at the very least, it seems likely and nobody has said otherwise yet. The skateboard-connected stuff like the motors on every wheel and to a lesser degree the suspension seem very likely to be 100% standard.

* Price (was dropped early 2020) - From RJ himself - the midrange with an electrochromatic roof will be about 69K. This was about a 10k drop from the original scheme which had the entry-level trim at 69k, the mid at 79k, and the large battery at (possible faulty memory here) 90k+, with it being easy to get to 100k with options. It doesn't appear as though we're going to lose the tax credit next year and Rivian hasn't sold a car yet so that's $7500 off for Rivian's first 200k cars. Source: That Forbes article that broke the price drop, IIRC.

* OTA updates

* Kinetic suspension

* Motor on every wheel + all the software torque vectoring and slippage/traction control benefits

* Alexa integration (not 100% sure but seems like a partnership promotion no-brainer)

* L2 with eventual L3 (estimated to be about a year out from launch) as they're able to build on customer sourced driving data for no upcharge. Not sure about more concrete plans beyond L3, but the mentioned self-driving tours of national parks sounds beyond L3 for sure.

* For the R1T - rollout tonneaux cover, the gear tunnel and for both - that massive frunk

* Water fording up to 1 meter - somebody suggested this was optional on the forum somewhere but pretty confident the batteries are completely sealed for all models/trims with water fording in mind.

* A butt-load more sensors than seems necessary, way more in quantity than Tesla, including LIDAR, ultrasonic, camera and... I'm forgetting something (radar?). Possibly overkill for this first generation of their cars so they can maximize the granularity of their data gathering. I will likely update this with corrections, but it makes me wonder if the R1 series at launch will have more sensors than any subsequent model year, making this t3h sens0rz! Edition.

* A full-size spare tire - thought I heard something about maybe not on the longest range R1S but I was apparently wrong about this

Options we can be 95-99% sure of:

* Three trims, mostly based around battery size and impacting range, speed, and for the largest size slightly reduced space (no third row seats for the R1S, no under-back-seat storage for the R1T). 0-60mph is 4.9 | 3 | 3.2 seconds, 0-100mph is 12.5 | <7 | <8 seconds, and ranges are (R1T/R1S) 230+/240+ | 300+/310+ | 400+/410+ miles.

* 8 colors - same colors available for each vehicle. 5 actually seen so far: Silver, flat light gray (ick), white, green, "RJ" blue. According to a Rivian employee somebody on this forum (I believe) talked to, all the so-far-seen colors will be available and there will be a total of 8. Someone heard "black" from a Rivian employee (also kind of a no-brainer IMO). And there's this image from inside the company of a reddish/rootbeer color on a design screen. Leaving us with maybe 7 accounted for and one more to speculate about. Big fan of crimson black and gray from the speculation thread though.

* 3 Interior "Launch Edition" options - Forest Edge (earth/forest tones with a dominant greenish hue), Lunar Rock (very light, gray), Black Mountain (lots of dark black, including the wood elements, with some yellow accents on belts and straps), all with actual wood elements and 100% vegan materials (no leather).

* 4 Roof options - solid metal, glass, electrochromatic glass (can shift from near-transparent to near-opaque), and a 2-piece removable (T-Top?)

* The gear tunnel kitchen - R1T-only. Primarily demoed at the overland expo - maybe not at launch since they've always called it a prototype at the overland expo but I'll bet they'd sure like to have it at launch given how great of an argument it is for those of us who have spouses who could care less about the 0-60 in 3 seconds/kinetic suspension stuff.

Options we've heard mention of:

Note: Trying to source these as many are just from brief mentions in one or two interviews. I will update as I or others locate more specific sources - mostly memory for now. And I might have some of these wrong, so feel free to correct.

* Some big-name sound system upgrade - Not much out there on this. Source: I think this forum -> Rivian employee at an event.

* Speakers that can be removed from the doors for the R1S (maybe both?). No mentions of this since a very early Motortrend article, so this one's a little dubious. Source: Mototortrend

* The Tent - They'll have their own Rivian-branded tent, made by Tepui but not a ton of talk about it. Probably because there are plenty of aftermarket options and the kitchen is much more interesting. Probably R1T-only unless there's a platform for placement on top of the R1S with a longer ladder. Sources: Rivian Tweet and Motor1/Brian Gase Interview

* Their own massive frunk-form-fitting frunkerator - sounded like a not near-future thing and they were demoing with an aftermarket fridge that was not even close to filling in that frunk. Source: Motor1/Brian Gase Interview

* An eventual kitchen option for the R1S - I wouldn't bet on it being available at launch since they haven't even demoed a prototype yet. Source: I think this forum -> Rivian employee at an event.

* A camping edition - Presumably something that includes kitchen and tent, maybe a frunkerator? Source: Not sure where I heard/read this. Consider this a big maybe.

* A cheaper non-launch edition interior without the expensive materials like the wood (will it be available at launch?). Source: this forum for me I think. Can't remember what their source was but pretty sure a Rivian employee at an event.

* An option to add optional skid plates for additional protection to the motors. Source: Motor1/Brian Gase Interview

Big questions remaining

Note: please feel free to suggest more, provide answers if they already exist and take this list with you when attending events

* Is "Launch Edition" just an LE interior scheme or is there more to it than that and the early trucks will be pretty loaded with not a ton of optional stuff like with the Polestar 2? I think this would actually be good marketing for early word of mouth, if LE trucks only took priority for the first couple months or so.

* How built-to-last are all the parts? Even some of the most luxe off-roading vehicles, like the 85K Toyota Land Cruiser, tend to be a bit primitive because fewer electronics means less stuff that can break. And their parts are built-to-last more like 20 years than 10 years. Will this heavily electronic by definition EV be anywhere near as durable and built-for-decades?

* Will connectivity be included or at least included for OTA updates specifically?

* What charging partnerships will we ultimately be able to benefit from? How many chargers is Rivian committed to building themselves? Will Rivian also build charging stations near large cities so

* What's happening with Cox in regards to servicing and distribution? How much of a servicing network will be in place at launch?

* Will we have self-servicing options?

* Will Rivian allow/encourage third-party replacement parts?

* Will third party and hobbyist developers have any options for doing interesting things with the UI, the Alexa interface, or the massive stream of data the cars will be constantly gathering?

* Does Rivian have any ideas in mind for the big-giant trailer parked at a charger for 20 minutes to hours problem? People wine about range loss, but that's similar for gas and electric. It's that big huge thing in everybody's way for much longer periods while refueling that's the real EV towing problem. Also batteries overheating, but not expecting that from Rivian.

* Will there be (or has there already been) any real-world experience-testing of max-load towing?

* What will it take to get large first-party options like the gear-tunnel kitchen added after purchasing without? Would that be as simple as ordering and making an appointment with a Cox service center?
Sponsored

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Much of what is listed above likely has not yet been decided/finalized (which could be one of the main reasons the configurator is not up and running).

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Much of what is listed above likely has not yet been decided/finalized (which could be one of the main reasons the configurator is not up and running).
Yes. News-thirsty rampant speculation is kind of the whole point here. Also the reason I made an effort to split the more concrete stuff from the hard-to-be-certain stuff. And because all these new events are coming up, it would be nice to have a community-list of question marks to resolve.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Everything I recall from video interviews is that the sealed battery system and 3 foot fording ability is standard. I haven't seen anything about a "kinetic" suspension, such as on some Toyotas and Range Rovers, where the side-to-side stabilization is allowed to flex differently depending on what the wheels need to do - the Rivians do have an adjustable air suspension, dynamic damping, and per the website, hydraulic roll control, but no word if it's like Nissan's which sends pressure hydraulically from side-to-side or more like the RR which is a sway bar with dual hydraulics, or something else entirely (we may be talking about the same thing when you use the word "kinetic"). I think it will however be the nicest ride I've been in.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
We've heard RJ, Brian Gase and Mark Vinnels, one of the fellows who moved from McLaren to Rivian, say the suspension system includes both up-and-down air suspension and side-to-side hydraulic/kinetic systems.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Everything I recall from video interviews is that the sealed battery system and 3 foot fording ability is standard. I haven't seen anything about a "kinetic" suspension, such as on some Toyotas and Range Rovers, where the side-to-side stabilization is allowed to flex differently depending on what the wheels need to do - the Rivians do have an adjustable air suspension, dynamic damping, and per the website, hydraulic roll control, but no word if it's like Nissan's which sends pressure hydraulically from side-to-side or more like the RR which is a sway bar with dual hydraulics, or something else entirely (we may be talking about the same thing when you use the word "kinetic"). I think it will however be the nicest ride I've been in.
From here:

https://stories.rivian.com/postcard-from-south-america

"Combined with our hydraulically interconnected suspension system, air suspension and active damping, our vehicles deliver very precise control across any surface and in any environment. In this case, long days off-road. "

And there's one where I believe one of the McLaren guys actually flat out calls it kinetic. I'll look for that source.

Thanks for the confirm on the water-fording.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
and for the largest size slightly reduced space ( no spare ... for the R1S,
Perhaps my "Rivian brain cells" are starting to fade since Rivian revealed back in Nov 2018 but I don't recall there would be no spare. I spoke to the R1S team lead at the Normal event last October and asked him about a full size spare tire. He came right out and said "How can you have an adventure, off-road vehicle and no full size spare? You don't; there will be one." He said he personally worked on scrimping and scraping for every mm so a full size spare tire would fit. He confirmed when I asked if this was, at least in part, why the overall vehicle length increased by one to two inches and he said yes. Granted, the largest battery pack option was not mentioned in our conversation as a limiting factor, but if that's the case I would expect at least one of those emergency, space-saver size spare tires to be on-board versus no spare at all.

And there's this image from inside the company of a reddish/rootbeer color on a design screen.
Source for the above: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...video-series-launched-by-rivian.433/post-5502
Though I wouldn't put too much value behind what is in this or any other video as any of the footage could have been from early in the development cycle and is no longer the case now or for that matter by production. But for the sake of playing along ...

"There will be 8 base colors and 2 "seasonal" colors that will rotate. "
Source: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/attending-fully-charged-live-in-austin.407/post-5425

"two employees made it seem like a burnt orange/root beer color will be available."
Source: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/attending-fully-charged-live-in-austin.407/post-5375

Considering the colors we've seen so far on the prototypes (and IIRC thought I heard a Rivian rep confirm in a video those colors will be available at production (though I'm not holding my breath)) I suspect the reddish/rootbeer/burnt orange will be one or two of the "seasonal" colors that will rotate.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Does anyone think Rivian will produce a home charging system?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I haven't heard either way but I would guess that they won't. They're not using a proprietary system so there's already lots of third party options. There was a thread about it maybe in the batteries/charging etc. section.

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
A home charger is a must have - both 110V and 220V.
Run flat tires are a very desirable feature. Adds lots of storage. especially on the R1S. Not everyone is going to run their $100k vehicle on the rockpile.
We have to trust that RJ and crew will deliver a game changer and market winner.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I'd wager Amazon will offer home charging solutions for Rivians. It will be offered at the time of purchase, as an option, or as an after sales item.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
A home charger is a must have - both 110V and 220V.
Run flat tires are a very desirable feature. Adds lots of storage. especially on the R1S. Not everyone is going to run their $100k vehicle on the rockpile.
We have to trust that RJ and crew will deliver a game changer and market winner.
I'll opt for the full size spare on the R1T thank you.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There was job posting(s) for EVSE engineers, so I believe it's a real possibility for Rivian to release a home charger. If not, I'm certain that there will be an option through the partnership with Amazon.
Sponsored