Sponsored

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
I'm neither a fanboy nor a hater. But posting an erroneous width for the vehicle for more than two years is hardly just an "oops." Vehicle dimensions go to the heart of what people are purchasing. An error of 2.73" can be the difference between a vehicle fitting in a garage or not. Rivian should be ashamed of this error and should directly notify pre-purchasers of its mistake. Importantly though, how many of those who've placed deposits actually read forums such as this? How many still believe that they will receive a vehicle with an electrochromic roof, a 180 degree drop tailgate with foot pegs, and several other features that have been quietly dropped? This is why Rivian needs to let those who've placed preorders start seeing the vehicle now. Rivian should also start making its vehicles available to automotive reviewers so we can get objective insights and opinions.

By the way, I asked CS whether the retracting of the mirrors can be geo-fenced or whether the user will have to remember to do so every time they pass through a narrow opening. The representative did not know but said he would check.
Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
But posting an erroneous width for the vehicle for more than two years is hardly just an "oops."
Since many things have changed since announcement of the vehicles, it is entirely possible that the erroneous width was correct for a significant part of those two years. If I were you, I would cut them a little slack.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
While I didn't get what I wanted, I was told that the R1S' width with mirrors open is 86.97 inches and with mirrors folded is 81.73 inches. This is different from what's on the website for mirrors folded (79 in).
Did they say whether both the R1T and R1S are this width? I would assume they are the same width.

I have a non-standard two-car garage width and I was already cutting it very close to fit the R1T in the garage with another car . . .

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Or they modified it, and they didn't connect the dots to tell those who run the website.

You've never made a mistake? Me either.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did they say whether both the R1T and R1S are this width? I would assume they are the same width.

I have a non-standard two-car garage width and I was already cutting it very close to fit the R1T in the garage with another car . . .
It's the same for both--81.73 inches with the mirror retracted and 86.97 inches while extended.

Sponsored

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since many things have changed since announcement of the vehicles, it is entirely possible that the erroneous width was correct for a significant part of those two years. If I were you, I would cut them a little slack.
They confirmed that the width has not changed. The posted dimensions were wrong throughout.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or they modified it, and they didn't connect the dots to tell those who run the website.

You've never made a mistake? Me either.
The width was not modified. The specifications were misstated. I am more than happy to give Rivian the credit it earns but will equally call it out when it falls short. I'm not buying a lifestyle or an adventure, I'm buying a vehicle, and an expensive one at that.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

It’s probably the same. Is your other vehicle a sedan? Wonder if the mirrors on the Rivians might be tall enough to be a non-factor in width for you depending on how low your other ride is. But I hear you on the tight garage space, I have a whole thread on my situation here ?.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Importantly though, how many of those who've placed deposits actually read forums such as this? How many still believe that they will receive a vehicle with an electrochromic roof, a 180 degree drop tailgate with foot pegs, and several other features that have been quietly dropped? This is why Rivian needs to let those who've placed preorders start seeing the vehicle now. Rivian should also start making its vehicles available to automotive reviewers so we can get objective insights and opinions.
Woah, time out... Someones not here? We gotta fix that, they have a TON of posts to catch up on so they can start contributing. We need to stick together so we can all inundate our state reps with calls for direct sales. Besides I assume CS and Rivian guides read our forum to get the latest info on their product and service.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It’s probably the same. Is your other vehicle a sedan? Wonder if the mirrors on the Rivians might be tall enough to be a non-factor in width for you depending on how low your other ride is. But I hear you on the tight garage space, I have a whole thread on my situation here ?.
So you can pull into the garage, the Rivian mirror will be above the sedan mirror, but you will have no room to open the doors on either one.:facepalm:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
So you can pull into the garage, the Rivian mirror will be above the sedan mirror, but you will have no room to open the doors on either one.:facepalm:
D’oh! This is why we need remote parking assist. I’m hoping Rivian surprises us with that feature before the end of the year. Far less premium vehicles like Hyundai Tucson and vw Tiguan have a remote parking feature.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
D’oh! This is why we need remote parking assist. I’m hoping Rivian surprises us with that feature before the end of the year. Far less premium vehicles like Hyundai Tucson and vw Tiguan have a remote parking feature.
Some people consider this a niche feature but a practical use I have for this and use frequently is to pull the car in and out of the garage when working around the house so I do not need to jump in with grubby clothes on.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That's y the R1T needed the back window to roll down
Yes, the Hummer EV is very wide, and its back window does roll down, plus it has a step built into the tailgate. It is ideal for small garage widths.
Sponsored