First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

My definition of undamped is it freely opens and closes with no resistance. My Silverado if I pull the handle and let go, it will slam open. Damped would have a gas shock or some other damping effect for a "soft" open.

Here is the definition from FCA's Ram 2021 specs.

FULLY DAMPENED TAILGATE. The aluminum tailgate has an available built-in damper to lower the tailgate slowly without it needing to be held. The damper also assists in closing the tailgate, so less force is needed to raise it.
Correct. I’m not talking about damping. I’m talking about powered.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm not a pre-order customer with a wish list. Im a pre-order customer that wants what was offered to me 6 months ago. The vehicle advertised 6 months ago is VERY different from the vehicle offered today.
I don't recall that many details being present on the website before the configurator (and even today there is the disclaimer that specs may change before production). I'm surprised that you are surprised that the production spec vehicle has changed significantly. Kind of the whole point of extensive testing and production validation.
If it's not the vehicle you want or are hoping for, then move on. Whining on a forum is unlikely to change Rivians mind about features they dropped for manufacturing/reliability/price re't, won't.asons. They will build the truck that they feel fits their intent while balancing all the other factors in producing/selling a vehicle. People that want it will buy it. People that don't, will move along.
"Options, specs and pricing may change as we approach production" is still on the website. Not a single feature was guaranteed when you placed your deposit. Nothing was actually being offered then, nor is anything finalized today. Only when you are asked to convert your reservation to an actual order will any specific features/pricing be locked in. It has become apparent that you will not be able to order the vehicle you were hoping would be produced.
The vehicle is getting a bit "watered down" as they figure our how to take a concept vehicle into production. This is normal and I, for one, fully expected it. If they worked to include everything on the concept vehicle, it would be many years away from production (think Model X and the Falcon wing doors).

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
You should be all set then. Based on videos we've seen, you depress a button on the bed rail and the tailgate slowly lowers down to the 90 degree open position.

This discussion is more focused around the promised 180 degree drop-down and powered open/close.
That would be cool, but I understand why they took it out. Definitely should have set the expectations that this is a new company and a lot of this cool stuff that we showed on our concepts vehicles may or may not make it to production. I like Rivian and can’t wait for my R1T but they need to communicate more openly.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You should be all set then. Based on videos we've seen, you depress a button on the bed rail and the tailgate slowly lowers down to the 90 degree open position.
Has there been any confirmation on this? I really don't mind having a non-powered tailgate. I see it more as a novelty that is cool but doesn't have much practical use and also something expensive to break. I haven't really thought about it much but if there was a way to remotely disengage the tailgate and have it slowly lower that would be all I would want.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I don't recall that many details being present on the website before the configurator (and even today there is the disclaimer that specs may change before production). I'm surprised that you are surprised that the production spec vehicle has changed significantly. Kind of the whole point of extensive testing and production validation.
If it's not the vehicle you want or are hoping for, then move on. Whining on a forum is unlikely to change Rivians mind about features they dropped for manufacturing/reliability/price re't, won't.asons. They will build the truck that they feel fits their intent while balancing all the other factors in producing/selling a vehicle. People that want it will buy it. People that don't, will move along.
"Options, specs and pricing may change as we approach production" is still on the website. Not a single feature was guaranteed when you placed your deposit. Nothing was actually being offered then, nor is anything finalized today. Only when you are asked to convert your reservation to an actual order will any specific features/pricing be locked in. It has become apparent that you will not be able to order the vehicle you were hoping would be produced.
The vehicle is getting a bit "watered down" as they figure our how to take a concept vehicle into production. This is normal and I, for one, fully expected it. If they worked to include everything on the concept vehicle, it would be many years away from production (think Model X and the Falcon wing doors).
Again this is my frustration with Rivian's communications. Rivian tries to have their cake and eat it too. Rivian boasts about how they were operating in stealth mode for a decade, making the decisions, getting things in order, doing the testing, securing the facility, ect, then only revealing the vehicles when everything was ready. Then when you ask them a meaningful question they say oh we don't have that quite figured out yet.

On one hand you have Brian Gase showcasing the vehicles and explicitly saying hey these aren't concept vehicles these are production-intent prototypes, what you see here will be delivered to customers at the end of 2020. Then on the other hand you have a steady leak of information on these forums of a new feature being dropped almost weekly.

I can care less what type of legal boilerplate Rivian puts on their website to say "hey things can change." My issue is Rivian is making a series of small changes that are becoming rather large as a collective. At the same time Rivian is doing a very poor job at communicating these changes to preorders.

I mean we're 4 months out from deliveries and they just told us the tailgate isn't going to be electrically driven. What if in 2 months they tell us "hey we need to get rid of the gear tunnel because its creating too much complexity and cost in our manufacturing," or "hey sorry adventurers but we had to take the U-turn on Tank Turn, it stressed the vehicles too much and we want to make sure you can keep your vehicles adventuring forever!" I feel like they could do both of these and there would still be fanboys out here that say well "you should expect changes" or "If the R1T isn't for you buy something else." Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian said "hey were switching from BEV to ICE for blah blah blah, that some people still wouldn't call out Rivian on that!

The irony of this whole thing is Rivian operates on the whole "undersell, overdeliver" mantra. Aside from an unappreciable change in increasing in HP and torque, I have yet to see any overdelivering.

I don't know if I'd ever notice, use or appreciate the increase in HP or torque, but i would use the level 3 autonomy, powered tailgate, and electro-chromatic roof on daily basis.

You can call it whining, I'll call it keeping Rivian accountable for their communications to prospective customers.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I mean we're 4 months out from deliveries and they just told us the tailgate isn't going to be electrically driven.
I believe this was known in November.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
For a moment I thought this thread was dead. Good to see this one active ?

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
Apologies if this has already been discussed. In a chat today with Jennifer regarding auto high beam feature she stated:

"I don't have any information on the auto high beam function but have just sent a request to get some more language on it. I can share that they are dynamic LED headlamps so they will move in the direction of the vehicle to keep your path lit."

I had the dynamic headlamps in a previous vehicle and think it is a great feature. The headlights would move left or right x degrees with left or right steering input. It made twisty road night driving a much better experience for me.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Apologies if this has already been discussed. In a chat today with Jennifer regarding auto high beam feature she stated:

"I don't have any information on the auto high beam function but have just sent a request to get some more language on it. I can share that they are dynamic LED headlamps so they will move in the direction of the vehicle to keep your path lit."

I had the dynamic headlamps in a previous vehicle and think it is a great feature. The headlights would move left or right x degrees with left or right steering input. It made twisty road night driving a much better experience for me.
That's interesting about the dynamic headlights.

Her answer about auto high beams is surprising because the web site says it is going to be included.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Just my opinion, but I enjoy my tesla without CarPlay vs my wife's Yukon with CarPlay. the Yukon is getting the boot once the R1S arrives. While I miss Waze in the Tesla primarily, they've integrated Spotify well at this point. An update last year made a big improvement from their first attempt. OTA updates are so critical for Rivian to work out the inventible bugs in the UI.
I think you bring up a really important distinction here - it's between Tesla and "the rest". Tesla is a tech company that prioritizes software heavily, which is why I imagine you are happy with the experience in your Tesla despite not having CarPlay/Android Auto. All other manufacturers, however, have been doing a downright crappy job in comparison with their software. I have a 2019 Lexus - forget about CarPlay/AA, it does not even have navigation baked in. It requires me to download an unheard-of app called Scout something or the other on my phone and then purports to use that to offer navigation. That's the baseline for me (and most other folks, I imagine). I firmly expect Rivian to follow Tesla's path in terms of a software-heavy focus to deliver an infotainment system worthy of being released in 2021, which is why I'm not too worried about the lack of CarPlay/AA integration. But I do support the inclusion of that feature from the viewpoint of consumer choice.

Edit: I didn't realize this post was from Jan, so apologies for derailing the current conv. Carry on :).

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner

Hope the respective fog lights illuminate when the steering wheel is turned that direction too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hope the respective fog lights illuminate when the steering wheel is turned that direction too.
I turned that feature off in my Volvo. Too many people would flag me down and tell me I had a bulb out.

I'd rather just be able to configure the fog lights to be on whenever the low beams are on.

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I didn't see any info here on what I asked the CS team today. So I'll add it here:

I was speaking with Kyle and I asked him if there will be a matte screen protector/option for the displays in the vehicle. They had no information on this.

I asked if the screens were positionable and I was told they are fixed in place.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

If you have received information directly from Rivian (email, chat, twitter) that is not currently available on their website, post here and I will add it to this original post.

Latest Update
  • 110 outlets are rated at 15A - slawwach via email - 2020/12/10

General
  • Rivian LE is now sold out - Rivian twitter 2020/11/20 1:30PM PST
  • Rivian intends to finish delivering all Launch Editions in 2021 - St Bernard - 2020/11/17
    • RJ declined in an interview to state how many vehicles they plan to deliver in 2021
  • All Rivian's will have heated steering wheels - JMR1T via Emma (Chat) - 2020/11/11
  • 12-way power seats (driver), 8-way (passenger) - godfodder0901 via Martin - 2020/11/17
  • Roof rack/rails to be added to the configurator "soon" - DBO via Martin (chat) - 2020/11/16
  • All paint colors are flaked, except the Glacier White - ESTRUCK via phone - 2020/11/17
  • Electrochromatic roof option has been put on hold - ElectricDan via chat - 2020/11/17
    • Roof will auto tint based on the amount of sunlight - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/20
  • Roof glass will not come with a sliding shade - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
  • Folding mirror technology - Fenwayfan77 - 2020/11/17
    • Auto dimming, power folding, power adjustment, high gloss arm/base, puddle lamps, integrated turn signals, blindspot indicator, surround view camera, heated mirror
  • Rivian confirms that they have switched from talking about kwh to range for their battery packs as they may not be exactly 135 kwh anymore - drhnbtx via Caitlin chat - 2020/11/17
  • Details of Elevation 360° audio - cohall - 2020/11/18, denvr 2020/11/19
    • 1400w vs standard 280w
    • 22 speakers (R1S) or 18 speakers (R1T) vs 14 (std) - Shzeph via Sara chat - 2020/11/20
    • Higher quality components
    • More channels including: four roof speakers and a coaxial center channel
    • Subwoofers (2 for R1T under second row seating, 1 for R1S in cargo area)
  • Removable bluetooth speaker /lantern and have 6.5 hour battery - jimcgov3 - 2020/11/18
  • Rivian is listening to feedback about adding dark wheels as an option for the launch edition and is considering adding this as an option - lonestar via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tank turn is still included - godfodder0901 via JR chat - 2020/11/11
  • Both models will use the (5x5.5) bolt pattern - Smithery via Justin chat - 2020/11/19
  • RAN chargers will be exclusive to Rivians - RJ interview by youtuber Tesla Raj 2020/02/03
  • For interior space specifications, see whyasky's post in this thread - 2020/11/20
  • Tires
    • 21" Road outpeforms the 20" AT and 22" Sport on range - Rivianmd 2020/11/22
    • For comfort, choose the 21" Road or 22" Sport - sevengroove via email - 2020/11/24
    • For best grip on wet roads, choose the 22" Sport - sevengroove via email - 2020/11/24
  • Vehicle BMS will protect the battery from overcharge and extended periods without charging - AltaTruck via Sara email - 2020/11/23
  • The charging access door is powered on all vehicles - MisterTea via chat - 2020/11/24
  • LE will have 6 USB ports, but no SD card slot - fastwheels via chat - 2020/11/24
    • 2 in center console
    • 2 in rear console
    • 2 in backrests
  • All wheel options will be available for the LE including dark rims for the 20" and 22" - ElectricTrucking via email 2020/11/27
  • AWD system is full time AWD, not 2wD on highway - Rhidan via email 2020/12/08
    • This is in conflict with past statements from chief engineer
  • 110 outlets are rated at 15A - slawwach via email - 2020/12/10

R1S Specfic
  • 2in tow hitch behind rear facia is standard - DBO via Martin (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 7,700 lbs towing capacity - babbuino - 2020/11/16
  • Heated and ventilated rear seats - Hangryboy via Nicole chat - 2020/11/12
  • The air compressor is tied to the offroad package - babbuino via Emma chat - 2020/11/18
  • R1S third row seats fold nearly flat, to put things in perspective, it is roughly 90% flat - Coast2Coast via Brian email - 2020/11/19
  • Third row seats are removable with proper tools - electruck - 2020/11/19
  • 40° tilt/slide on the second-row seats - PostMinivanDad via Becka email - 2020/10/30
  • Dimensions - Rivianmd via Kyle email - 2020/11/22
    • Width in the rear of the R1S is about 51"
    • With 2nd/3rd rows folded, it is 85" from the tailgate to the back of the front seat
    • About 50" from the tailgate to the back of the 2nd row
    • Minimum height in the R1S trunk is 28"

R1T Specific
  • All R1T's will have a full size spare included - godfodder0901 via JR/Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
    • This conflicts with stated information from the website - it appears that it will be included but also be for sale. Some regions may not have it included
    • UPDATE: The spare will be for sale, and included where legally required - who764 via Christina chat - 2020/11/23
  • Rear seats will be heated - godfodder0901 via Katy (Chat) - 2020/11/17
  • 2" Class V receiver, 11k lbs towing capacity, 810 lbs tongue weight - babbuino - 2020/11/16
    • This conflicts with a chat from azbill stating the tongue weight is 1470 lbs (2020/11/22)
  • Towing will use a 7-pin connector - jacksonhandy via email - 2020/11/18
  • Tailgate no longer folds down 180°, but is still powered - jimcgov3 via chat 2020/11/19
  • Tailgate weight limit is 1,000 lbs - AltaTruck via Sara email - 2020/11/23
  • Dimensions
    • Gear Tunnel: 65.6" long, 21.2" tall, 15.3" wide - Smithery, Hexijen - 2020/10/12
    • Width between the wheel wells in the bed is 1277mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
    • Height from bed floor to top of bed rail is 465mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
    • Height from bed to bottom of rear spoiler is 922mm - Hexijen - 2020/10/12
It is stated that there are 6 USB ports. 2 In the center console, 2 in the rear console, and 2 behind the seats? Shouldn't this be "2 In the truck bed"?
Sponsored