Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The basics had better be pretty solid but the UI on my X changes every couple of weeks. Minor stuff, of course, in most cases.
I think we all accept there will be iterative changes... But I'd still love to see an overview of what the UI looks like, and can do "now".
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think we all accept there will be iterative changes... But I'd still love to see an overview of what the UI looks like, and can do "now".
There has been a couple videos on this, but not an extensive walkthrough. Here's one that provides a brief glimpse.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There has been a couple videos on this, but not an extensive walkthrough. Here's one that provides a brief glimpse.
Thanks, I've seen that one. It's mostly just a "tease". I'm ready for an in-depth walkthrough of the UI. For example, Rivian has refused to support Apple CarPlay saying they can do it better. Well, prove it. What are you giving me for interacting with my music collection, for example?

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Thanks, I've seen that one. It's mostly just a "tease". I'm ready for an in-depth walkthrough of the UI. For example, Rivian has refused to support Apple CarPlay saying they can do it better. Well, prove it. What are you giving me for interacting with my music collection, for example?
Exactly what I am waiting for. I am honestly convinced that Rivian not having CarPlay or Android Auto has nothing to do with them offering a better system, but Amazon told them not to offer it in favor of Alexa in the car which can do "everything." Otherwise I feel as though we would have seen any information about it by now. Using Alexa in a car with kids screaming really sounds like something I want to deal with all the time.

The only acceptable alternative would be for them to have the google play store like Volvo now has. Otherwise we are going to be stuck with them having a handful of apps that rarely ever get updated. Android Auto and CarPlay are a set it and forget it implementation. Everything is up to date with new apps coming out all the time.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
For example, Rivian has refused to support Apple CarPlay saying they can do it better. Well, prove it. What are you giving me for interacting with my music collection, for example?
More like "What are you giving me for interacting with the assistant I use to manage my life, and my home, and for the apps that already exist on my devices and will literally never exist on yours, and to manage *my* personal data on my trusted private device?"

Android Auto and Car Play are about so much more than "How music in the car works"

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
More like "What are you giving me for interacting with the assistant I use to manage my life, and my home, and for the apps that already exist on my devices and will literally never exist on yours, and to manage *my* personal data on my trusted private device?"

Android Auto and Car Play are about so much more than "How music in the car works"
Totally agree. It’s as much about the content as it is the apps themselves. Maybe Rivian has a great music option, but if I’ve invested tons of time in Pandora or Spotify building playlists and having it learn my preference, I’d be back to square one if I couldn’t access those apps. Same goes for maps and other apps.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I'm such a Luddite. I've never used Android Auto or Car Play. I've never used Spotify, and did not renew after the free trial of Sirius in my last new car.

And I have zero interest in apps other than Navigation in my car. And usually use Waze on my phone instead of the car's nav, anyway.

Apps on phone, programs on computer, MP3s in car. That's it. :cool:

edit: I don't use the cloud, either, so no synching devices. :oops:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'm such a Luddite. I've never used Android Auto or Car Play. I've never used Spotify, and did not renew after the free trial of Sirius in my last new car.
So do we need to add “No 8-track player” to the deal breaker list? :CWL:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
So do we need to add “No 8-track player” to the deal breaker list? :CWL:
What? No 8-track.... that's it... I was all in but forget it... I'm out now!! :angry::angry::angry::cool:

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

And I have zero interest in apps other than Navigation in my car. And usually use Waze on my phone instead of the car's nav, anyway.

Apps on phone, programs on computer, MP3s in car. That's it. :cool:

edit: I don't use the cloud, either, so no synching devices. :oops:
In many ways I envy you, I dont ever want to go back mind you but I look fondly back on my time before being hyper connected. I am not trying to convince you to start engaging in the cloud but you will be strongly in the minority and I suspect somewhat proudly so.

With this vehicle as with others you can choose not to use those services but it is major part of what vehicles like the Rivian are. They can provide a bespoke experience without buying a 200K rolls through connected services.

I pride myself on my navigation abilities without app but the convenience of centralized content and traffic and speed-trap warnings have changed the way I drive significantly for the better. I see you have Sienna, we love ours as well but honestly the most recent upgrade was almost entirely because the infotainment got better and more usable with CarPlay and the speed and reliability of the system.

I have however been a remote employee who (used to) travel frequently and having a consistent way to engage with content and applications have made that lifestyle significantly easier for me. The cloud does not = no privacy. It can mean that but we all choose our path and our vendors.

Anywho, this was intended to be conversational and not confrontational and I hope it comes across that way.

Cheers everyone

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I don’t get the obsession with Apple CarPlay to be honest. I have it in both of my vehicles and while it’s good, I wouldn’t say it’s infinitely better than the infotainment in my cars already. It looks like Rivian will have a pretty sophisticated infotainment, and like Tesla will be making constant updates to it, so I’ll be happy if the screen is fast, and things are updated on a regular basis. I really like to look at their maps too, i’m sure with Amazon Alexa’s help they’ll have a very good infotainment

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Here's another video, from around the reveal way back in Nov 2018 (yes, it should have evolved since). Note the apps panel, I'm curious what else might be found there (spotify, pandora, waze):

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In one of the videos posted re Long Way Up there was a display briefly visible in a corner of a frame that showed a bar graph, updating in real time, showing the current going to each motor. I want that!

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Just my opinion, but I enjoy my tesla without CarPlay vs my wife's Yukon with CarPlay. the Yukon is getting the boot once the R1S arrives. While I miss Waze in the Tesla primarily, they've integrated Spotify well at this point. An update last year made a big improvement from their first attempt. OTA updates are so critical for Rivian to work out the inventible bugs in the UI.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just my opinion, but I enjoy my tesla without CarPlay vs my wife's Yukon with CarPlay. the Yukon is getting the boot once the R1S arrives. While I miss Waze in the Tesla primarily, they've integrated Spotify well at this point. An update last year made a big improvement from their first attempt. OTA updates are so critical for Rivian to work out the inventible bugs in the UI.
Since you use Spotify It works fine for you. But what about people who use a different service? For example, I use Apple Music. Tesla is an awful experience, to people like me, because they don’t work with my chosen services.

CarPlay is a solution that delivers customers choice and high quality, while being easy for the auto manufacturers to implement.
Sponsored