Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack
This AC/AA discussion is bleeding into EVERY thread. As @electruck said, and as I have stated in multiple threads, Rivian WILL NOT add AC or AA to their UI. Listen to this, https://www.formtrends.com/rivian-design-vp-jeff-hammoud-on-starting-fresh-and-brand-identity/. If this is too long, fast-forward to the 32-minute mark and listen through 35 and you will hopefully understand why Rivian is doing what they are doing and why it will be better...

Here, Here to Rivian's UI/UX. :clap:
It's possible to believe they may go with more of an Apple Music, Spotify, etc. app support similar to how smart TVs operate these days. It's what's been done in the Porsche Taycan and rumored to be happening in Tesla's ecosystem.
Sponsored

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
This AC/AA discussion is bleeding into EVERY thread. As @electruck said, and as I have stated in multiple threads, Rivian WILL NOT add AC or AA to their UI. Listen to this, https://www.formtrends.com/rivian-design-vp-jeff-hammoud-on-starting-fresh-and-brand-identity/. If this is too long, fast-forward to the 32-minute mark and listen through 35 and you will hopefully understand why Rivian is doing what they are doing and why it will be better...

Here, Here to Rivian's UI/UX. :clap:
Ugh... this is extremely, extremely disappointing if true... because it won't be better. Tesla has already tried this, its a failure. People want their phone and their infotainment to be seamlessly integrated.

It has nothing about UI, it is about INTEGRATION. I want *the live state of every app* on my phone to be reflected in the car. This is not something that can be accomplished simply by making another app platform or iterating on UX... you do it by embracing the framework the platform provides to integrate.

The more information dropped by Rivian the closer and closer I get to just dropping my preorder. I have to say, lack of AA or any hope of support is likely to be a dealbreaker for me at this point, esp when you add in the other recent disappointments. I will wait and see if this turns out to be true in the end.. if it is I am likely a goner.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's possible to believe they may go with more of an Apple Music, Spotify, etc. app support similar to how smart TVs operate these days. It's what's been done in the Porsche Taycan and rumored to be happening in Tesla's ecosystem.
If they’re not going to implement CarPlay then I really hope they have a native Apple Music app that works well.

If Rivian thinks they can do better than CarPlay then they need to deliver all the same features (and more).

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The best bet for getting CarPlay and Android Auto is to make sure that all the people who do youtube reviews show how silly their phone looks on a vent or window mount.

And give them feedback. Once you get your vehicles, make sure to explain to them every little thing that you can do with CarPlay that you can't with their system. They need to see the difference in user experience in switching between an Apple Music playlist and a podcast. They claim to be focused on the user experience, so once the product is available, show how it's falling short of its user experience potential.

It's not going to change launch, but it could come via software updates if enough people provide similar feedback.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

They are providing an app for your phone, which could have permissions to almost everything on your phone. They could integrate notifications, music, and other controls into their app which would link to your car through bluetooth or wifi. They chose to build their own RivianAutoPlay ecosystem because the one common component in their vehicles, is the vehicle, not the smart phone choice (Android or Apple) of its customers.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
They are providing an app for your phone, which could have permissions to almost everything on your phone. They could integrate notifications, music, and other controls into their app which would link to your car through bluetooth or wifi. They chose to build their own RivianAutoPlay ecosystem because the one common component in their vehicles, is the vehicle, not the smart phone choice (Android or Apple) of its customers.
Sounds a lot like what Honda tried to do... which was a massive failure and in the end they threw up hands and supported AA/CP.

The best bet for getting CarPlay and Android Auto is to make sure that all the people who do youtube reviews show how silly their phone looks on a vent or window mount.

And give them feedback. ...

It's not going to change launch, but it could come via software updates if enough people provide similar feedback.
It could change launch, if enough people start complaining enough / delaying their order when they open them up for confirmation & payment. As you say, this is software and thus something they can pivot on easily.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Sounds a lot like what Honda tried to do... which was a massive failure and in the end they threw up hands and supported AA/CP.
I'd assume that Honda is a bit different than the newer automakers like Rivian and Tesla. Sometimes people refer to Telsa's as iPads on wheels, with the implication that they are just as much software as hardware. I'd hope that Rivian is focusing on their software as much as their hardware and this would result in an acceptable infotainment integration with whatever phone somebody has in their pocket.

The case of Honda is interesting. I assumed that there were reasons that prevented a manufacturer from support both AA and CP, but I guess if Honda can do...

If anybody is that concerned about having the best CarPlay experience, they can wait around for Apple's iCar. :D

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I assumed that there were reasons that prevented a manufacturer from support both AA and CP, but I guess if Honda can do...
Very few vehicles support only one... Generally, when they implement CP they also implement AA.

My car and motorcycle both support CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Why doesn't Rivian release some videos and discussions about their UI? All I have seen so far are static photos. GM has already pubished at least a few videos of someone operating the screens and talking about capailities of the Hummer UI. Poor marketing on Rivians part. Do we have to wait for test drives to see something?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Rivian is.....mediocre at best, with regards to marketing. It’s like they got so used to operating in stealth mode that they’ve never actually gotten out of it.

Fingers crossed that, with less than 6 months to go before R1T deliveries begin, Rivian starts pumping out more information

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
What I’d really like is for Apple CarPlay to be an app that is provided within the Rivian infotainment system. If I select that, then it allows icons on the infortainment to run apps on my phone. Things like Pandora or Spotify, Waze, etc. Users have lots of content in these apps and having them on the phone allows them to be portable from one vehicle to another. The alternative would be for RIvian to produce their own versions of these apps which would allow them to run directly from the infotainment system. But the former seems to be a much easier thing for them to do. I have an aftermarket head unit in my 4Runner that is essentially an Android tablet. That allows me to load Android versions of the same apps I have on my phone onto the head unit in my truck, login into my accounts and get my content. But since Rivian will have a proprietary OS, there won’t be an existing App Store for these things. So they’d need to build all of those apps. Or simply build a Car Play app (which my 4Runner unit also has) that then just displays my Phone’s screen on the unit’s screen and allows me to interact with it. That doesn’t seem too difficult to do, and would at least allow them to check the box that they support it. Bluetooth streaming is not really a viable solution, IMO, since it really doesn’t allow things like Waze to be seen and controlled on the infotainment screen.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Bluetooth streaming is not really a viable solution, IMO, since it really doesn’t allow things like Waze to be seen and controlled on the infotainment screen.
Bluetooth also has noticeably worse audio quality compared to USB/CarPlay.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Bluetooth also has noticeably worse audio quality compared to USB/CarPlay.
Agree. Not to mention the irritating pauses, gaps, etc. Drives me nuts!
Sponsored