Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
One thing to keep in mind is that these vehicles will weigh substantially more than equivalent ICE vehicles, so you will need tires rated for the weight of the vehicle.
This is a good point, but probably won't come up much in practice at the 275/60R20 size

Everything at Costco in the 275/60R20 size, for example, has a load index of at least 114, which is good for 2601lbs.

I'm not sure what the load index is on the OEM Pirellis but I'd wager that's the ballpark - (4) 114 tires are plenty to handle the Rivian at max payload.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Tires are commonly heavier than the rims they are mounted to. It would just be speculating what will be the case with Rivian, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 20" rim, which is forged, is 25 - 30 pounds, and the tire is 50+. My SUV has basically light truck all seasons and they are over 40 pounds. When you consider that weight has a larger impact the further it is from the center of the rotating mass, adding a few pounds of tire has far more impact than adding a few pounds of wheel.
I think we agree. I can see a big, heavy all terrain tire adding more weight than increasing the rim size by one inch. Like you said, the closer the mass is to the center of the wheel, the less impact it has on range. Commercially produced EVs have all been cars with small tires and small wheels. Which is why "they" say bigger rims results in lower range. Rivian is the first (of many) that will be putting big tires on the rims. Conventional wisdom changes when the rules change.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

I think we agree. I can see a big, heavy all terrain tire adding more weight than increasing the rim size by one inch. Like you said, the closer the mass is to the center of the wheel, the less impact it has on range. Commercially produced EVs have all been cars with small tires and small wheels. Which is why "they" say bigger rims results in lower range. Rivian is the first (of many) that will be putting big tires on the rims. Conventional wisdom changes when the rules change.
Funny that 20” wheels (common on Tesla’s for years) is now considered “small wheels.” I remember not long ago 20” was considered huge!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Funny that 20” wheels (common on Tesla’s for years) is now considered “small wheels.” I remember not long ago 20” was considered huge!
Agreed. But there is a lot more rubber on the 20" Rivian rim compared to a 20" Tesla rim. So for a Tesla, the larger rim makes a bigger difference and has a negative impact on range.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
From today's chat session:
LE (Adventure Edition) will have 6 USB ports but no SD card slots for playing music from USB drives:
2 in center console for charging and data
2 in rear console
2 in the seat backrests

I was hoping they would have standard 110V outlets (150W max output) inside the center and rear consoles. USB (including USB-C) only put out a tiny amount of power relative to a regular receptacle. Current cell phones charge at rates up to 50W and future ones (as in those offered in the next couple years) will probably push 100W. The Rivian USB-C ports probably put out 15W max so your phone or other electronic device will charge very slowly. Being able to plug in any phone or device charger regardless of the charger's output capacity is ideal. These days the USB "standard" literally becomes obsolete within the first year or two.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I was hoping they would have standard 110V outlets (150W max output) inside the center and rear consoles. USB (including USB-C) only put out a tiny amount of power relative to a regular receptacle. Current cell phones charge at rates up to 50W and future ones (as in those offered in the next couple years) will probably push 100W. The Rivian USB-C ports probably put out 15W max so your phone or other electronic device will charge very slowly. Being able to plug in any phone or device charger regardless of the charger's output capacity is ideal. These days the USB "standard" literally becomes obsolete within the first year or two.
There will be one standard outlet in the center console:

What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t

Middlefork

First Name
Al & Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I have been told they are included by Katy and J.R. on two separate occasions.
With the R1T, a full-size spare is included. Another fun fact, the area fits a full-size spare and also doubles as a cooler, with an integrated plug for easy drainage!! (Sara)

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
There will be one standard outlet in the center console:

What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t
Awesome. Thank you. This vehicle will have more 110V outlets than any vehicle I've owned. The big question is what is the maximum output of these outlets? Charging phones and electronics is great... but being able to power up a jigsaw off the tailgate would be awesome. Does anyone know the wattage caps (continuous and surge) on the outlets?

Last edited:

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Awesome. Thank you. This vehicle will have more 110V outlets than any vehicle I've owned. The big question is what is the maximum output of these outlets? Charging phones and electronics is great... but being able to power up jigsaw off the tailgate would be awesome. Does anyone know the wattage caps (continuous and surge) on the outlets?
The camp kitchen is demoed with a two burner induction cooktop. That is most likely a 1.4-1.8kW appliance. I'd put money on the outlets being a shared 15A (if not 20A) circuit.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

I also asked Rivian if the tailgate is still powered, as I have seen in their various videos, and mentioned that I did not see this listed as part of the Adventure Package description.

Also asked if this would be a future OTA update function?

I received an answer yesterday from Rivian, and their reply was:
"This version of the R1T will have a manual liftgate."

Not sure if a powered tailgate will be an 'option' on a future model? Very disappointed that this function was not standard/included, as their videos show a powered tailgate - one of the functions that attracted me to the Rivian pickup truck.
so they were telling people the tailgate is power up and down but now they’re saying it’s manual? It’s gotta be electronic release and with a soft stop hinge at bare minimum, right?

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
so they were telling people the tailgate is power up and down but now they’re saying it’s manual? It’s gotta be electronic release and with a soft stop hinge at bare minimum, right?
I would assume that is correct as the release latch will still be on the top on the bed rail (and theoretically available on the app/UI). I’ve gotten both the “still powered” and “manual” responses but they seem to be sticking to the manual one the last couple of times I have asked for clarification which is quite frustrating based upon all the framing around the tailgate functions prior to the configuration going live.

I can somewhat see dropping the 180 open for cost/complexity (to a degree) but not the power up/down function. with some very short people in my family being able to get that much closer to the bed edge with the 180 open would have been a huge benefit. we use the multi-function tailgate option in my RAM more than we use the traditional function for that very reason.

I could see them maybe adding power up/down as a paid option which would be annoying, again based upon all of the original framing around functions, but something I would consider.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Rivian just e-mailed that all wheel options will be available for the LE including the dark 20" and 22".
Oooooooo. Did they say when the configurator would be updated to reflect this?

Also, good going everyone! We nagged them into submission! What say we try and get a 5-Seat version of the LE now?

Last edited:

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Have to admit I was looking forward to the 180 tailgate. But don't care about power, actually prefer without. Fewer things to break.
I wouldn’t mind the power up/down simply for convenience sake, and to ultimately align with what we thought we were getting anyways. But I agree it is another thing to break and if I could only have one, I would absolutely pick the 180 (even manual 180) first.
Sponsored