Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
A manual tailgate raises an interesting question: where exactly will they place the release handle?

tailgate.png
I believe it is on tope of the bed rail, above the left turn signal
Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
That's a fair point and strategy. Seems like the 20" offers the best flexibility if tire swapping is on the cards. And also an aha moment for me in terms of the fact that the tire has more to do with the range than the wheel - unless I'm misunderstanding?
You are correct, that is generally true. You could create a situation where it wouldn't be if you tried, but tread compound, tread pattern and tire weight are typically going to be larger factors than wheel weight.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Just got out of the chat with Rivian. I asked if the charge port is manually operated or if you'll be able to open/close it from inside the vehicle. I was told, "The charge point access door is powered on all Rivian vehicles."

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I have received following email from Rivian:
"Yes, the R1T will have a 360-degree camera"

Good to hear that. The info on the page "Manual Park Assist: A 360° detection system designed to help sense and alert you to objects" sounds more like 360 proximity sensors. It seems it will have both sensors and top-down camera view.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
From today's chat session:
LE (Adventure Edition) will have 6 USB ports but no SD card slots for playing music from USB drives:
2 in center console for charging and data
2 in rear console
2 in the seat backrests

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
She could not tell me what file format the USB drive will support (NTFS, FAT, exFAT, Fat32), nor could she confirm anything but that MP3 is the most common audio format. I specifically asked about FLAC (supported in my 2020 Chevrolet) but got the same vague answer that more details will be coming "soon".

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
On a earlier chat today I asked about replacement wheels - in my case for a set of mounted ice/snow tires. I was looking for information about the smallest wheel diameter that could fit over R1T's brakes so I would have more tire size options. He had no idea - but tried to suggest that the 20" Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus option would be good for snow because they have been "given the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol by Pirelli".
Uh, no.
Just look at the tread pattern compared to a quality snow tire (Blizzak, X-Ice, WinterCommand, IceGuard, Nokian...). All-Terrains have minimal sipes and a rubber compound that can survive crawling rocks and dirt in the desert - this is a design that will NOT work on ice and snow in freezing temperatures. They may work a bit better than an A/S on snow, but will not work well on ice. Watch the videos and read the customer reviews on TireRack for a brief introduction to the value of winter specific tires....

Until more information about wheels/tires becomes available, I am guessing. My order configuration is currently for the 22" All-Seasons. I suspect I will end up with a snow package with something in the 18-20" range, but that is a long way off so tire company offerings will doubtless change from what is available today.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I know I saw mention of a desire for Sirius XM radio, has anyone asked Rivian about this yet?

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I know I saw mention of a desire for Sirius XM radio, has anyone asked Rivian about this yet?
I got the more details coming soon answer

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I got the standard “more details to come as we get closer to production” answer when i asked about this

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Would much rather be able to get replacements in any brand, at Costco or any local tire shop, instead of having to track down one specific Pirelli made only for this vehicle.
One thing to keep in mind is that these vehicles will weigh substantially more than equivalent ICE vehicles, so you will need tires rated for the weight of the vehicle.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
From today's chat session:
LE (Adventure Edition) will have 6 USB ports but no SD card slots for playing music from USB drives:
2 in center console for charging and data
2 in rear console
2 in the seat backrests
Did they say if these are USB-C as this supports USB power delivery for faster charging.

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
You are correct, that is generally true. You could create a situation where it wouldn't be if you tried, but tread compound, tread pattern and tire weight are typically going to be larger factors than wheel weight.
The reason bigger rims have a negative impact on range is because they are heavier than rubber that surrounds air. If you put the same tires on a 20 inch rim and a 21 or 22 inch rim, the 20 inch rim/tire combo will have better range. The reason the 20 inch wheels have worse range is because of the all terrain tires. That is why the best range is with the 21 inch wheel - it has the smallest rim with the lowest rolling resistance tire.

The circumference could make a difference, but I think you want a larger circumference if you want better highway range. Really I would be surprised if the 20 and 21/22 Rivian rim/tire selections have a measurable impact due to circumference. The biggest impact to range is rolling resistance and weight of the rim/tire assembly (otherwise known as the "wheel" ;-)).

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The reason bigger rims have a negative impact on range is because they are heavier than rubber that surrounds air. If you put the same tires on a 20 inch rim and a 21 or 22 inch rim, the 20 inch rim/tire combo will have better range. The reason the 20 inch wheels have worse range is because of the all terrain tires. That is why the best range is with the 21 inch wheel - it has the smallest rim with the lowest rolling resistance tire.

The circumference could make a difference, but I think you want a larger circumference if you want better highway range. Really I would be surprised if the 20 and 21/22 Rivian rim/tire selections have a measurable impact due to circumference. The biggest impact to range is rolling resistance and weight of the rim/tire assembly (otherwise known as the "wheel" ;-)).
Tires are commonly heavier than the rims they are mounted to. It would just be speculating what will be the case with Rivian, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 20" rim, which is forged, is 25 - 30 pounds, and the tire is 50+. My SUV has basically light truck all seasons and they are over 40 pounds. When you consider that weight has a larger impact the further it is from the center of the rotating mass, adding a few pounds of tire has far more impact than adding a few pounds of wheel.
Sponsored