LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

probably a duplicate (or triplicate) point, but I got email from Rivian customer service acknowledging that many people getting the Launch Edition are requesting the option for dark-tone wheels. Response basically that Rivian is listening and future options may be available.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
-Subwoofers (2 for R1T under second row seating, 1 for R1S in cargo area)
Interesting, thanks! If the single in the R1S is a quality, well-powered 10", then I'm happy. That's what I have aftermarket in my Grand Cherokee... excellent sound quality & plenty of bass.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Interesting, thanks! If the single in the R1S is a quality, well-powered 10", then I'm happy. That's what I have aftermarket in my Grand Cherokee... excellent sound quality & plenty of bass.
Any idea of we can fit a full size spare in the frunk of the R1S...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Any idea of we can fit a full size spare in the frunk of the R1S...
I finally figured out how to read the dimensions on the web site:

25.4"X54.8"X22.7"

A 35" tire will not fit.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I finally figured out how to read the dimensions on the web site:

25.4"X54.8"X22.7"

A 35" tire will not fit.
I guess the family should only bring baggage that can fit in the frunk, I'll have to bring the full size spare in the trunk of the vehicle when going off road :D wouldn't want to risk bringing a donut on the trail.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
Hexijen

Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

This looks like an interesting option:

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
I was wondering if that was a thing, that one looks pretty good, but it would require a licence plate relocation since the hitch/tire would be covering the plates

Rivian R1T R1S What We Know - Collecting Information Directly From Rivian 1605729666220

I didnt spend too much time making sure the dimensions were just right, but it would look something like this. This would possibly degrade your departure angle, but it might be just the right solution for freeing up the tire carrier space to be a water tank for my camper build :)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I was wondering if that was a thing, that one looks pretty good, but it would require a licence plate relocation since the hitch/tire would be covering the plates

1605729666220.png

I didnt spend too much time making sure the dimensions were just right, but it would look something like this. This would possibly degrade your departure angle, but it might be just the right solution for freeing up the tire carrier space to be a water tank for my camper build :)
Problem solved, they offer a license plate relocation bracket as an option:

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-license-plate-relocation-kit/

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Problem solved, they offer a license plate relocation bracket as an option:

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-license-plate-relocation-kit/
And, if you own a welder, like I do, I bet you could make a custom one much cheaper and not have to worry about the license plate. Or to make it lighter, you could bolt up some aluminum to make one. You simply need 2x2 square tubing, a hinge and a 8x8 flat piece to create one.

I am getting the R1T, so I do not need this.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hexijen

Hexijen

First Name
Caley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glacier/Ocean Coast, 20AT, Offroad
Clubs

Would need a license plate light option also, but that's easily done by plugging into the trailer connector (running light lead could power the LP light).

Do we know where the backup camera is?
Good question, maybe this is a good time to ask. There are third party back up cameras that would work if the standard camera is blocked and not easily relocated, though it would be a shame to have to relocate at all

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Wheel and Tire update.

I wrote to Rivian last week about extra wheels and tires. Here it is and the response. I am attempting to clarify if we can buy extra rims, as her answer was cagey.

Initial Email:

Congrats on another milestone I look forward to the configurator on monday.
I have a question about wheels and tires. I know there are options available. My questions are

1. Will I be able to buy a spare set of wheels and tires from Rivian?
2. Will the different Pirelli options for Performance, all weather, and all terrain come in all three (20, 21 and 22") sizes?
3. Will the car work with non OEM wheels and tires?

Response:

Hi Jeremy,

Glad to see you were able to get into the configurator and make your selections for the R1T! We appreciate you sending those questions over, and I’ve included answers for you below:
  1. Yes! You will be able to purchase spare and extra tires.
  2. Each tire is not available in all three sizes. The 20” tire option is the All Terrain Plus, the 21” tire option is the Verde All Season, and the 22” tire option is the Zero All Season. Pirelli did a really great write up on the tire options and features here, if you want to dive in a little more!
  3. While the vehicle may be able to operate with non-OEM wheels and tires, we haven’t validated any other options so we really cannot make any recommendations outside of the Pirelli tires.
Please feel free to reach out if we can answer anything else for you. We can’t wait to get you behind the wheel of the R1T!

Your fellow adventurer,
Amanda

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
To me this aftermarket solution looks pretty cheap - not at all keeping with the quality level of a $75K vehicle. I am concerned not only about the heat, but glare washing out the displays when the sun is above and slightly behind the vehicle. My chat session with Amanda did nothing to alleviate this concern. I just can't understand why a solid steel roof is not the base configuration. It would probably be lighter, cheaper, safer in an accident, and require less energy for cabin HVAC. If Rivian do not propose a good solution for this it will most likely be a deal-breaker for me.
I stated in the past that Porsche Taycan required panoramic roof at first and 6 months later they came out with the metal roof. My belief is the suppliers have a big say in all of this. No coincidence that Rivian is doing the same thing.

Last edited:

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Wheel and Tire update.

1. Each tire is not available in all three sizes. The 20” tire option is the All Terrain Plus, the 21” tire option is the Verde All Season, and the 22” tire option is the Zero All Season. Pirelli did a really great write up on the tire options and features here, if you want to dive in a little more

I'm a bit annoyed. Ive had Verde All Seasons on a couple of my previous SUVs. I would prefer them on a 22". We get *just enough* snow in KY (2-3 times a year, but one is 6") where I'd be worried about the Zeros. I'd love a 22" verde as a choice. Wont happen, but then you get the looks and the range.

I will be very interested to see what the range is for each set. Its something they HAVE to list beforehand.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I will be very interested to see what the range is for each set. Its something they HAVE to list beforehand.
I asked them about this via email yesterday, will post here when I get a response. Here are the questions:

- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize comfort?
- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize range?
- which wheel and tire combo is best to maximize grip on wet roads?
Sponsored