Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That thing is going to boom. Is it summer yet? Hahaha
Can't come soon enough! I'm literally getting giddy with excitement about so many things Rivian, and so glad they didn't skimp on the audio system!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Just thought I’d post this, since part of it conflicts with something listed as “known”

According to the CS rep here, the rear seats on both the R1T & R1S are heated only, not ventilated like previously stated.

Also, the green charging status bar on the front is still there! Kinda neat
Rivian R1T R1S What We Know - Collecting Information Directly From Rivian F61F2184-D1B4-40BC-8F0C-5145BC4C37EE

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I would assume that is correct as the release latch will still be on the top on the bed rail
Have they considered snow & ice buildup obstructing this button from use? Also concerning is placing any buttons on any horizontal surface of a vehicle in regards to water/ shorting the wiring. Not to mention what about loads blocking the button, as mentioned prior. Requiring use of an app all winter in northern climates sounds like a compromise.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Have they considered snow & ice buildup obstructing this button from use? Also concerning is placing any buttons on any horizontal surface of a vehicle in regards to water/ shorting the wiring. Not to mention what about loads blocking the button, as mentioned prior. Requiring use of an app all winter in northern climates sounds like a compromise.
I am sure there are buttons on the keyfob, the center display, and the always handy Alexa that can do those same operations.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I am sure there are buttons on the keyfob, the center display, and the always handy Alexa that can do those same operations.
How does Alexa respond to “Hey Google”? Because that’s how I’ve been programmed to talk to a machine!

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

How does Alexa respond to “Hey Google”? Because that’s how I’ve been programmed to talk to a machine!
She sits there in silence. You'll need to be reprogrammed.

Any idea if there will be a button to invoke the voice assistant? One of the most frustrating things is the wake word not triggering Alexa to listen.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

She sits there is silence. You'll need to be reprogrammed.

Any idea if there will be a button to invoke the voice assistant? One of the most frustrating things is the wake word not triggering Alexa to listen.
Have you tried changing the wake word to computer, echo, or Amazon? While I do not know for sure, I can't imagine there not being a trigger in either the app or the steering wheel scroll wheels...maybe a long press on either one...just a thought.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
From Amazon’s perspective, I imagine it would be fairly strange to lead a $700 million investment round in Rivian, order 100,000 Rivian vehicles, and then have your competitors’ software like CarPlay and Android Auto in Rivian vehicles along side, or instead of, your Alexa Auto.
Alexa auto is just a voice interface. It only covers like 5% of what is required in the Infotainment system. You can't compare it to Android Auto / Carplay, which can technically be the entire Infotainment system all by themselves (see Polestar as a carmaker who has gone all-in on Android for their Infotainment system)

I find it near impossible to believe a new carmaker would launch to day without Android Auto or Carplay. Tesla has grandfathered themselves out of this problem a bit, but even they get a lot of complaints on this.

Implementing Android Auto is not even technically difficult, its just VNC with some custom hacks. You can run your own Android Audio headend using open source and a Raspberry pi for $50... I would hope Rivian could figure this out.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Alexa auto is just a voice interface. It only covers like 5% of what is required in the Infotainment system. You can't compare it to Android Auto / Carplay, which can technically be the entire Infotainment system all by themselves (see Polestar as a carmaker who has gone all-in on Android for their Infotainment system)

I find it near impossible to believe a new carmaker would launch to day without Android Auto or Carplay. Tesla has grandfathered themselves out of this problem a bit, but even they get a lot of complaints on this.

Implementing Android Auto is not even technically difficult, its just VNC with some custom hacks. You can run your own Android Audio headend using open source and a Raspberry pi for $50... I would hope Rivian could figure this out.
Don't conflate "Android Automotive" used by Polestar (and soon GM, others) with "Android Auto". While both are based on Android, they are not the same thing.

It's not a matter of Rivian "figuring it out." The issue is they want 100% complete control over UX and Apple Car Play and Android Auto would not allow for that.

Also not sure how you think Android Auto and Car Play could "be the entire infotainment system" as they really do not interface with the vehicle itself to allow control over vehicle functions. Never mind that they require a compatible external device (cell phone) to function. Android Automotive supports what you suggest but you have to play by Google's rules and share vehicle data with Google that Rivian may want to keep to themselves (think battery or self driving metrics; not wanting to reveal "the secret sauce" is the primary reason Porsche claims they have stayed away from Android Automotive). My guess is Rivian considered Android Automotive somewhere along the way and very quickly decided to pass.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Last edited: