Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I am hoping we get the options that we all are wanting. Alexa for anything Rivian related and then Siri for anything personal and/phone related.

"Alexa, lower the tailgate" and then "Siri, send a message to _____, that I will be running late" ?‍♂
On the surface this seems challenging to implement because it would require both Rivian's OS and your phone's OS to have "always listening" activated through Rivian's mics. I don't think they'd allow that. They could implement different button presses to activate each assistant - that's how it was on my Mini. Single press for native, long press for CarPlay. To keep it all verbal, they could conceivably do an in-between like "Alexa, talk to Siri", which would then activate Siri's listening mode.
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
As long as they have some integration with Waze, Spotify, and a Podcast app of some sort, I'll be happy.

Honestly, if they don't have a Waze integration, it may be a deal-breaker for me. I rely on it heavily, as does almost everyone I know (heck, even my 80 year-old parents use it).

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
As long as they have some integration with Waze, Spotify, and a Podcast app of some sort, I'll be happy.

Honestly, if they don't have a Waze integration, it may be a deal-breaker for me. I rely on it heavily, as does almost everyone I know (heck, even my 80 year-old parents use it).
Huh, is it an urban thing? I've never used Waze in my life and I'm a dirty millennial. Any where I'm going, Google Maps has served me just fine.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Huh, is it an urban thing? I've never used Waze in my life and I'm a dirty millennial. Any where I'm going, Google Maps has served me just fine.
I don't think it's an urban thing. It's the 2nd-most-used map/gps app in the US. It has many more features than the native google/apple apps. It's croud-sourced and instantly updates road hazards, police, traffic jams, etc.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I don't think it's an urban thing. It's the 2nd-most-used map/gps app in the US. It has many more features than the native google/apple apps. It's croud-sourced and instantly updates road hazards, police, traffic jams, etc.
I guess that's kind of my point. If you live somewhere more rural, most of those issues are less prevalent, and there aren't many alternative routes should something arise, so the extra functionality is kind of moot. Since you're in CO, too, I'm thinking travel through the mountains and such. Google has sufficient traffic info, probably not as rapid as something like Waze, but I'm struggling to see the utility in a non-urban environment. YMMV.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Yeah, Waze definitely shines in congested areas with many alternate routes. It's also pretty polarizing; people either love it and don't want to use anything else or find it busy/distracting and hate it.

Waze is owned by Google, and they do share a growing amount of that crowd sourced data back and forth between Waze and Google Maps.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Think of what these cars will do as anti lock braking plus the ability to apply differential thrust in the forward direction as well a rear ward. The answer to you question is no - you no longer do that. If you want to slow down you take your foot off the accelerator. If you want to slow down more than the regen will handle you step on the brake.
Yesterday we were granted the opportunity to demonstrate this feature of BEVs and because of this thread I was unusually attentive. My conclusion doesn't change. Regen does indeed incorporate anti skid features and does it very well. The Teslas only have two motors at this point so the friction brakes are clearly involved in keeping the car straight but my assertion that all you do is take your foot off the accelerator and the car slows in a straight line was correct. With 4 motors the Rivians should be even better at this if they implement 1 pedal driving. I think they will though you will probably have the option to turn it off.

The other observation that may be of interest is that the slush on the road increased consumption to 530 Wh/mi from the normal 280. This implies range 53% of rated. The message here being that anything other than a nice smooth, dry roadbed can eat your lunch!

Last edited:

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I guess that's kind of my point. If you live somewhere more rural, most of those issues are less prevalent, and there aren't many alternative routes should something arise, so the extra functionality is kind of moot. Since you're in CO, too, I'm thinking travel through the mountains and such. Google has sufficient traffic info, probably not as rapid as something like Waze, but I'm struggling to see the utility in a non-urban environment. YMMV.

For ME it's a crowdsource thing. It is VERY real time feedback. I can trust that at anytime there are Wazers driving around me and that means realtime traffic, like crazy fast information. It also means real time warnings about speed traps.

In rural areas with fewer people, less connectivity, fewer traffic snarls and less technical adoption I can see why it wouldn't add AS MUCH value.

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I don’t use WAZE and I’m sure there’s a few simple ways to notate accidents, speed traps, etc. But, I can’t help but laugh when I think about the overarching concept of the crowdsourcing element as follows:

WAZE user cruises by a flaming wreck on the side of the road caused by someone posting a statement on FB, “What a great day for a Drive!”.......while driving. WAZE user wants to mark accident. Reaches down in lap/console to grab phone and takes eyes of road to mark the disaster that he/she just passed. Well, might as well grab a McD’s fry out of the bag on passenger seat while I’m at it!! Smashes into Rivian test vehicle on road in front of him/her ;) Sweet, now I have 2 accidents to mark!!!

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I don’t use WAZE and I’m sure there’s a few simple ways to notate accidents, speed traps, etc. But, I can’t help but laugh when I think about the overarching concept of the crowdsourcing element as follows:

WAZE user cruises by a flaming wreck on the side of the road caused by someone posting a statement on FB, “What a great day for a Drive!”.......while driving. WAZE user wants to mark accident. Reaches down in lap/console to grab phone and takes eyes of road to mark the disaster that he/she just passed. Well, might as well grab a McD’s fry out of the bag on passenger seat while I’m at it!! Smashes into Rivian test vehicle on road in front of him/her ;) Sweet, now I have 2 accidents to mark!!!
I know you're message was tongue in cheek, but the actual action for reporting the original accident would literally be changing nothing about your driving activity, and simply saying out loud "OK Google, Report Accident".

No eyes off road, no fumbling for phone, etc.

This does not eliminate the need of reaching for french fries, however :)

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I know you're message was tongue in cheek, but the actual action for reporting the original accident would literally be changing nothing about your driving activity, and simply saying out loud "OK Google, Report Accident".

No eyes off road, no fumbling for phone, etc.

This does not eliminate the need of reaching for french fries, however :)
Ha. Yes, I’m 90 percent never serious ;) I knew there was most likely a simple method for marking (voice notation), thus my first sentence. It was just how I’ve always internally laughed when envisioning some users doing something similar to what I described. I can only assume there’s a population subset that does exactly what I laid out. Hopefully it’s not a large one. Ha. Reaching for fries is a legal requirement. No questions asked.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)