Sponsored

What We Do Not Know - Important Information Still Needed to Make an Informed Decision

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
There’s still ~8 months before R1S deliveries start. They might achieve true level by then!

Or maybe we can nag them into it like we did with the black wheels on the LE
Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
A flat floor R1S is seeming increasingly unlikely. At the Mill Valley/SF event a year ago, I was told by two different folks, including Brian Gase, that they were working on a flat floor R1S. A year later and now they're not even saying they're working on a flat floor R1S.

I've been wondering why not and my suspicion is the skateboard. There's a hard barrier to how far down you can drop seats. If you can't go down, you might be able to go up, but this affects the shape, contour and size of the seats. I think these parameters are locked in.

So, neither the second nor third row of seats will go completely flat. Live with it or switch to the R1T.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
A flat floor R1S is seeming increasingly unlikely. At the Mill Valley/SF event a year ago, I was told by two different folks, including Brian Gase, that they were working on a flat floor R1S. A year later and now they're not even saying they're working on a flat floor R1S.

I've been wondering why not and my suspicion is the skateboard. There's a hard barrier to how far down you can drop seats. If you can't go down, you might be able to go up, but this affects the shape, contour and size of the seats. I think these parameters are locked in.

So, neither the second nor third row of seats will go completely flat. Live with it or switch to the R1T.
I find it hard to believe that the floor will not be nearly flat (3% angle). RIVIAN realizes that 50% of the people buying the RIS have a need to transport a Dog. Fortunately for me my 140 pound St Bernard will make the floor flat even if RIVIAN can’t.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’ve got two Leonbergers, 120lbs and 140lbs. So that floor is gonna be flat whether it wants to be or not

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I’ve got two Leonbergers, 120lbs and 140lbs. So that floor is gonna be flat whether it wants to be or not
Great dogs! We had the pleasure of having one of those. And yes, they will flatten out that floor their liking :)

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
If the 3rd row doesn't fold flat enough to properly support the floor of a dog crate then I may have to forego the LE and wait for the 2 row Adventure. Really wish the 2 row version were available with LE. Not only do I not want to have to wait until 2022 for my R1S and lose the LE "perks" but I have absolutely zero use for 3rd row seating.
The 3rd row is removable, isn't it? Is your understanding that an R1S with the 3rd row removed is going to look different from a 2 row version?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Did you all get RJ's Happy New Year letter today?

Rivian R1T R1S What We Do Not Know - Important Information Still Needed to Make an Informed Decision 1609965045700

Rivian R1T R1S What We Do Not Know - Important Information Still Needed to Make an Informed Decision 1609965087570

Rivian R1T R1S What We Do Not Know - Important Information Still Needed to Make an Informed Decision 1609965133036

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I got that email too, and was very surprised that it indicated Amazon Vans were not being delivered until Fall.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The 3rd row is removable, isn't it? Is your understanding that an R1S with the 3rd row removed is going to look different from a 2 row version?
I have no understanding whatsoever because no information has been shared. I will say that common sense would seem to dictate that if the 3rd row folds nearly flat and level with respect to the cargo floor that unbolting and removing the 3rd row is going to leave an area that is lower than the cargo floor. Conversely, if the 3rd row foot space and cargo floor are on the same plane, there is no way that the 3rd row can fold nearly flat and would instead have a huge step up when folded as seen in the show vehicles. Either way, I would absolutely expect differences in the trim out for a factory 3rd row delete vs end user removal to hide attachment points, wire harnesses, unused shoulder belts, etc.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I have no understanding whatsoever because no information has been shared. I will say that common sense would seem to dictate that if the 3rd row folds nearly flat and level with respect to the cargo floor that unbolting and removing the 3rd row is going to leave an area that is lower than the cargo floor. Conversely, if the 3rd row foot space and cargo floor are on the same plane, there is no way that the 3rd row can fold nearly flat and would instead have a huge step up when folded as seen in the show vehicles. Either way, I would absolutely expect differences in the trim out for a factory 3rd row delete vs end user removal to hide attachment points, wire harnesses, unused shoulder belts, etc.
I think that's a reasonable guess for what to expect. I'm going with the 3rd row config because I don't typically roll with a crate for the dog and will likely just let her sit in that row, freeing up the 2nd row for humans. I wouldn't mind having the option of removing it completely though and putting in some sort of aftermarket cover solution (with the foot space acting as a mini cargo hold).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I've had those. What great dogs. Just two problems. Hemangio and porcupines. When we traveled with them we'd stack their beds in the back of the SUV and it didn't matter if the floor was a little irregular.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Will definitely need it the space haha
Sponsored

Last edited: