Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening

As my delivery grows closer, I am trying to get ready for my R1T and know I will end up hand washing it like I did my Tesla in the beginning. On some of the videos for washing your car when you have a ceramic coat, it looks like they have a hose attachment that sprays foam on the car to make it a lot more "touchless". It looks kind of like a nozzle with a bottle hanging on it.

Does anyone know the equipment they use and if it just attaches to your normal hose or do you need a pressure washer?

Thank you as always

Adam
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Here's how I wash my Model 3, with all products linked in the description. Obviously you can wash any car this same way, so your future Rivian (and mine) will work.

"it looks like they have a hose attachment that sprays foam on the car to make it a lot more "touchless". It looks kind of like a nozzle with a bottle hanging on it."

It's called a foam cannon :D. You need a pressure washer for the foam cannon to work properly. The video will help everything make sense.

Bruins06

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper
Good evening

As my delivery grows closer, I am trying to get ready for my R1T and know I will end up hand washing it like I did my Tesla in the beginning. On some of the videos for washing your car when you have a ceramic coat, it looks like they have a hose attachment that sprays foam on the car to make it a lot more "touchless". It looks kind of like a nozzle with a bottle hanging on it.

Does anyone know the equipment they use and if it just attaches to your normal hose or do you need a pressure washer?

Thank you as always

Adam

I use a foam sprayer attachment for my pressure washer. I've never used one that works with just a water hose ( although I know Chemicals Guys sells one), but I suspect I wouldn't like it because I didn't like mine when my good pressure wahser broke down and I had to use it on cheap electric pressure washer.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/torq-p...69an8vrIPrG1Xib3MxoBD546jaw8TQjQaAiFMEALw_wcB

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Here's how I wash my Model 3, with all products linked in the description. Obviously you can wash any car this same way, so your future Rivian (and mine) will work.

"it looks like they have a hose attachment that sprays foam on the car to make it a lot more "touchless". It looks kind of like a nozzle with a bottle hanging on it."

It's called a foam cannon :D. You need a pressure washer for the foam cannon to work properly. The video will help everything make sense.
great video

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

For my pressure washer friends, I recommend this foam cannon:

It has a wide mouth for pouring soap in, a wide base so it doesn't tip over, the things screws shut and open easily, and the nozzle adjusts easily.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Grit Guard: Use this to rub dirt off your sponge in a 2 or three stage bucket system wash. Works with most home depot/car wash 5 gallon buckets, recommend 1 for each bucket you use.

Foam Cannon: Make washing easy with a Foam Cannon that connects directly to your pressure washer. Load up your Foam Rated Soap and let soak for 5 minutes ensuring the washing process doesn't damage your paint or wrap while allowing dirt to fall off patriot to agitation! Please ensure compatibility with your specific model of pressure washer.

Foaming Shampoo: While a Variety of shampoos are available, one of my favorites are from a brand called FICTECH due to the ceramic/shine properties of the product. I call it magic in a bottle as it leaves every surface smooth and glossy with minimal DIY effort.

Wheel Cleaner: SONAX Beast is the ultimate wheel cleaner breaking down dirt, iron deposits, and other road grime on your wheel while not harming the painted surface like some acid etched based wheel cleaners. Just remember to always use a dedicated wheel/tire brush/sponge.

Interior Cleaner: SONAX Multi-Purpose Interior cleaner is a great all in one for your Rivians multi surface non leather upholstery. Please note most if not all leather cleaners can be used on your Rivians Vegan Leather.

Quick Detailer: As mentioned before FICTECH makes an amazing line of products that are very easy to apply and maintain. The Carnauba Quick Detailer goes on the car after washing (while the car is still wet) and works with the water to leave a beautiful ceramic glossy layer while you hand dry your vehicle.

Ceramic Spray Sealer:As mentioned before FICTECH makes an amazing line of products that are very easy to apply and maintain. The Supercharged Ceramic Booster goes on the car after washing (while the car is still wet) and works with the water to leave a beautiful ceramic glossy layer while you hand dry your vehicle.From there it applies a very thin layer of ceramic coating to help protect your car until the next car wash. VERY DIY Friendly.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Grit Guard: Use this to rub dirt off your sponge in a 2 or three stage bucket system wash. Works with most home depot/car wash 5 gallon buckets, recommend 1 for each bucket you use.

Foam Cannon: Make washing easy with a Foam Cannon that connects directly to your pressure washer. Load up your Foam Rated Soap and let soak for 5 minutes ensuring the washing process doesn't damage your paint or wrap while allowing dirt to fall off patriot to agitation! Please ensure compatibility with your specific model of pressure washer.

Foaming Shampoo: While a Variety of shampoos are available, one of my favorites are from a brand called FICTECH due to the ceramic/shine properties of the product. I call it magic in a bottle as it leaves every surface smooth and glossy with minimal DIY effort.

Wheel Cleaner: SONAX Beast is the ultimate wheel cleaner breaking down dirt, iron deposits, and other road grime on your wheel while not harming the painted surface like some acid etched based wheel cleaners. Just remember to always use a dedicated wheel/tire brush/sponge.

Interior Cleaner: SONAX Multi-Purpose Interior cleaner is a great all in one for your Rivians multi surface non leather upholstery. Please note most if not all leather cleaners can be used on your Rivians Vegan Leather.

Quick Detailer: As mentioned before FICTECH makes an amazing line of products that are very easy to apply and maintain. The Carnauba Quick Detailer goes on the car after washing (while the car is still wet) and works with the water to leave a beautiful ceramic glossy layer while you hand dry your vehicle.

Ceramic Spray Sealer:As mentioned before FICTECH makes an amazing line of products that are very easy to apply and maintain. The Supercharged Ceramic Booster goes on the car after washing (while the car is still wet) and works with the water to leave a beautiful ceramic glossy layer while you hand dry your vehicle.From there it applies a very thin layer of ceramic coating to help protect your car until the next car wash. VERY DIY Friendly.
Thanks for the good list.

One question I forgot to ask…. If I use the appropriate products at home, will I still get a good wash? My house has the normal hard water. Will it hurt the car or leave spots when I rinse?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

One question I forgot to ask…. If I use the appropriate products at home, will I still get a good wash? My house has the normal hard water. Will it hurt the car or leave spots when I rinse?

Hard water will definitely leave water spots unless you dry the car ASAP with a good clean towel from https://theragcompany.com/ or equivalent.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

You can also buy de-ionizing rinse kits, but they are much more expensive per wash than other methods and refill medium costs ensure you will never come out even.

My personal go-to is using distilled water from a grocery store (make sure they don't add more minerals in "for taste") and a garden sprayer for rinsing. You don't have to touch it at all, just let it air dry. Even on glass, there are no streaks or spots.

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

To add to what others wrote: I try not to wash at the height of a sunny day. Preferably in the morning before the sun gets high or on a cloudy day. This way, you can actually dry with an appropriate towel before the water evaporates and forms those spots. Some people also like to use a leaf blower or some other blower to help get rid of water faster. And... sigh... I hate to do this, but I notice a difference with my car with my home-applied ceramic coating. A product that promotes water beading will help you remove rinse water and avoid water spots. I plan to get my R1S professionally done. Hate to mention that as there are already half a dozen ceramic coating/ppf threads and don't want to turn this into another one. I recommend checking out Pan the Organizer and/or Chemical Guys youtube channel. Note that Pan is paid for reviews by product suppliers and Chemical Guys have their own products to sell. Doesn't necessarily make them wrong, but something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

have also been contemplating a water softener whole house system for years.... maybe now is the time. ;-)

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

To add to what others wrote: I try not to wash at the height of a sunny day. Preferably in the morning before the sun gets high or on a cloudy day. This way, you can actually dry with an appropriate towel before the water evaporates and forms those spots. Some people also like to use a leaf blower or some other blower to help get rid of water faster. And... sigh... I hate to do this, but I notice a difference with my car with my home-applied ceramic coating. A product that promotes water beading will help you remove rinse water and avoid water spots. I plan to get my R1S professionally done. Hate to mention that as there are already half a dozen ceramic coating/ppf threads and don't want to turn this into another one. I recommend checking out Pan the Organizer and/or Chemical Guys youtube channel. Note that Pan is paid for reviews by product suppliers and Chemical Guys have their own products to sell. Doesn't necessarily make them wrong, but something to keep in mind.
I was wondering that... I am going to get a ceramic coating done professionally, but was thinking of also getting a spray with ceramic coating in it to apply after washing, kind of like the final part of the wash. (not sure what you would call that type of spray, hopefully you know what I mean. a "finishing" spray after the wash)

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

You can also buy de-ionizing rinse kits, but they are much more expensive per wash than other methods and refill medium costs ensure you will never come out even.

My personal go-to is using distilled water from a grocery store (make sure they don't add more minerals in "for taste") and a garden sprayer for rinsing. You don't have to touch it at all, just let it air dry. Even on glass, there are no streaks or spots.
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what do you mean by garden sprayer? like distilled water in a spray can type thing?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

have also been contemplating a water softener whole house system for years.... maybe now is the time. ;-)

Honestly that is your best solution just keep in mind filter cost/process to change them can also be a PIA.
Sponsored