First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
The more I read these forums, the more that I think I should keep a Recovery Kit in my R1S. Please share your opinion of what kit I should get. TIA
Sponsored

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
Depends entirely on where youā€™re going and what you know how to use. Rivianā€™s kit is pretty good in my opinion. And if you pair it with some maxtrax and a kinetic rope youā€™re probably covered for most of the offroad situations youā€™ll encounter.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Winch? A hitch mounted solution. Pulley reductions with a come along. Tow rope and kinetic rope. Gear depends on what things you have to use to get you out. In some places youā€™ll need a shovel to bury a log a few feet into the ground to create an anchor of nothing else is around.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Winch? A hitch mounted solution. Pulley reductions with a come along. Tow rope and kinetic rope. Gear depends on what things you have to use to get you out. In some places youā€™ll need a shovel to bury a log a few feet into the ground to create an anchor of nothing else is around.
I'm a newbie in off-roading and nothing advanced yet; I'm thinking about something to pull me out of trouble but nothing extreme. Thanks.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I'm a newbie in off-roading and nothing advanced yet; I'm thinking about something to pull me out of trouble but nothing extreme. Thanks.
Cheapest option would be traction boards and a come along with pulleys. A tow rope or kinetic rope is good as well but expensive. A baller option is hitch mounted winch. A super baller option is to custom build a front hitch mount where you can also mount winch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Cheapest option would be traction boards and a come along with pulleys. A tow rope or kinetic rope is good as well but expensive. A baller option is hitch mounted winch. A super baller option is to custom build a front hitch mount where you can also mount winch.
Thanks, I think I'll start cheap and get more later.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Thanks, I think I'll start cheap and get more later.
The cheapest option is to avoid areas where you are likely to get stuck. The times Iā€™ve been stuck were high centering and super soft sand. The latter I could have gotten out of now with my off-road knowledge but the former was a gross mistake.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

The more I read these forums, the more that I think I should keep a Recovery Kit in my R1S. Please share your opinion of what kit I should get. TIA

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Iā€™d go with traction boards so you can recover yourself and an appropriate rated tow strap, two soft shackles and a hitch receiver shackle mount so someone else can recover you.

Sponsored

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Iā€™d go with traction boards so you can recover yourself and an appropriate rated tow strap, two soft shackles and a hitch receiver shackle mount so someone else can recover you.
Oddly enough, traction boards are my least-used piece of recovery gear, they just rarely ever do the trick except in deep sand.

The top two recovery tools I've used are:
- Shovel
- Kinetic rope w/soft shackles

But yeah, the above linked list has all the goodies you'd ever want.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Oddly enough, traction boards are my least-used piece of recovery gear, they just rarely ever do the trick except in deep sand.

The top two recovery tools I've used are:
- Shovel
- Kinetic rope w/soft shackles

But yeah, the above linked list has all the goodies you'd ever want.
Iā€™ve used mine on a few different trucks, mostly in mud and snow. They are one of the few things other than a shovel or a come along that will let you recover yourself though. Shovel seemed so obvious I didnā€™t even think to mention it but that should definitely be in the truck.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The cheapest option is to avoid areas where you are likely to get stuck. The times Iā€™ve been stuck were high centering and super soft sand. The latter I could have gotten out of now with my off-road knowledge but the former was a gross mistake.
High-centering should be a non-issue if we use the suspension conservatively. Never drive in the highest setting. If caught on something then raise to the highest setting and reverse out of what stopped you. Drop back down to the second highest setting and try a different approach, etc.

Our Land Rover doesnā€™t even let us manually select the highest setting but it automatically goes into extended mode (higher than high) if you get caught on something. This has kept us from getting stuck on a few occasions.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Best thing would be to make sure you always go on adventures with someone that owns a TACO. They always seem to have all the gear, including wench, ropes, propane heaters, kayaks... ect... It will save you a lot of money.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
TACO owners willing to lend you their wench when youā€™re in a pickle are the best šŸ˜
Sponsored