Sponsored

What Max Amperage to Consider for Home Charging? (40, 48, 80)

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
My ChargePoint Home Flex on the 60A breaker now charges the Rivian close to max vehicle capacity. With the 50 breaker it ran at 9.5-9.7. In Colorado on Xcel TOU rate between 9pm-6am. This give me 100kwh over night if I need that much
Rivian R1T R1S What Max Amperage to Consider for Home Charging? (40, 48, 80) 10288F2E-DC44-4A9C-9E80-DE567F284418
Sponsored

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
i leave mine at 28a to reduce fire risk given my old breakers and nema 14-50 setup. 7kw per hour. so 20-80% in 10-11 hours.

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
So just as a follow up I decided to run a 100 amp circuit to a new sub-panel in the garage with a 70 amp circuit to the EVSE. The sub-panel is right next to the EVSE so it functions as a local disconnect.

Running #2 wire between the main panel and the subpanel, and #6 between the subpanel and the EVSE (Chargepoint Home Flex). So now if we ever upgrade the EVSE, all we need to worry about is the 2 feet between the sub-panel and the EVSE.

I hope they don't just make a new J1772 standard that supports up to 180 amps :CWL:

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
The only exception is for those people who are on time-of-use plans, they would want to charge as fast as possible because they can't just leave it charging for 12 hours. I have a flat rate so our 40a charger is enough, but I could see why some people want more amperage.
I'm one of those people, and you are correct. On our TOU plan, the off-peak window is only 6 hours (12-6 am). We have a Rivian charger on a 60A circuit and get about 22 mi of range per hour, for a max total of about 132 miles added range during that window. That's enough for our daily use case, charging to 70% overnight and still having more than 20% "in the tank" at the end of the day.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

So just as a follow up I decided to run a 100 amp circuit to a new sub-panel in the garage with a 70 amp circuit to the EVSE. The sub-panel is right next to the EVSE so it functions as a local disconnect.

Running #2 wire between the main panel and the subpanel, and #6 between the subpanel and the EVSE (Chargepoint Home Flex). So now if we ever upgrade the EVSE, all we need to worry about is the 2 feet between the sub-panel and the EVSE.

I hope they don't just make a new J1772 standard that supports up to 180 amps :CWL:
That’s a nice setup for now and future use. Well done. 👏🙌👏🙌. I have the chargepoint home flex on a 60 amp breaker and love it. At 23 miles an hour it‘s pretty easy to get to 70% daily, it’s roughly 1.2 hours per 10% gain.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Well even if there is a new higher amperage standard the Rivian will still be limited to 48 amps. And I thought Xcels TOU off peak was 7pm to 1pm for the Denver area?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm one of those people, and you are correct. On our TOU plan, the off-peak window is only 6 hours (12-6 am). We have a Rivian charger on a 60A circuit and get about 22 mi of range per hour, for a max total of about 132 miles added range during that window. That's enough for our daily use case, charging to 70% overnight and still having more than 20% "in the tank" at the end of the day.
I'd probably consider putting in a DCFC at home if my off-peak was that short. There's been occasions where I've gotten home with a nearly dead battery around midnight on Sunday and it wasn't enough to get me back up to 85% for the next day.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
I'd probably consider putting in a DCFC at home if my off-peak was that short. There's been occasions where I've gotten home with a nearly dead battery around midnight on Sunday and it wasn't enough to get me back up to 85% for the next day.
You can pay for a hell of a lot of non-off-peak kWh for the cost of even a smaller DC charger.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Six hours charging at 48A is plenty for our day to day, but I'd be nervous at less than 48A. As the industry evolves, I just hope the trend is toward making battery packs more efficient instead of just making them bigger. I have to think that will be the case given the scarcity of materials and search for every competitive edge.

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Above 60A requires a locally accessible disconnect according to code. It actually makes it easier to plan for an upgrade. I ran wiring to a fused disconnect to support the 100A (80A continuous load), with a 100A breaker in the panel and 60A fuses to my hardwired 48A charger.

Wiring from the disconnect is short and a smaller gauge wire that will most likely just get recycled if/when we upgrade the EVSE to an 80A one to support a future vehicle.
Does the fused disconnect require anything else other than the conduit coming into it from the panel and the conduit going out of it to the charger?

https://img.c3controls.com/image/up...sed-Disconnect-Switch-vs-Circuit-Breakers.pdf says "Similar to a circuit breaker, a disconnect switch is normally enclosed in a steel enclosure. The NEC requires that installers mount UL-listed cam-type outlets on an aluminum panel at the bottom of each enclosure. This serves to eliminate the risk of hysteresis."

I would have thought that a standard fused disconnect switch like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens...e-Safety-Switch-with-Neutral-GF223N/205623364 would be sufficient, but not sure.

Sponsored

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
I have two chargers daisy chained on a 100amp line for both our EVs. It provides 50amps per charger and with that I am charging at 25 miles an hour, which is the max that I have seen anyone reporting able to get from a home charger.

Krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
Just to clarify, I just got a ChargePoint and it's a plug setup 14-50, with a 60 AMP breaker and I'm only getting 9.2-9.6 kwh, that's normal? I had a BourgeRV charger that gave me 11.2 kwh consistently without issues.

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Just to clarify, I just got a ChargePoint and it's a plug setup 14-50, with a 60 AMP breaker and I'm only getting 9.2-9.6 kwh, that's normal? I had a BourgeRV charger that gave me 11.2 kwh consistently without issues.
Somethings not adding up here, a 14-50 is a 50 amp max plug, how did you get a 60 amp circuit on there, that said I think the Chargepoint limits to 40 amps of charging if using a plug, which is 80% of what the plug should be supporting. Chargepoint only goes up to 50 amps if it's hardwired.

Edit: Spelling

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
What VOLTS are you all charging at?
I recently had to step down my charger at home to 40A (long story that thankfully didn't end up in a fire) and I'm getting 21-22 miles per hour but it's charging at 240V
My work charger is still at 48A but it's getting the same mileage because my work panel is 208V
Amps = Watts/ Volts
Sponsored