What is up w/service lead time?

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
I just got called back after placing 2 servicei ssues through the app. One for condensation in frunk causing rust (don't hardly open so big surprise) and warp(ed|ing) of ledge between back of backseat and rear cab window. Earliest service date is 139 days out; in July! Wtfo?! This is WA area btw. We all about to be driving "collector's" items; Tuckers as it were?

Seems pretty bleak if it is taking nearly half a year to get a vehicle serviced.

Happy to hear from anyone w/more insight though.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There are several areas of the country where the service centers are just overwhelmed by demand (both deliveries and service) so they are unfortunately that backed up. PNW and Brooklyn are the 2 that come to mind.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There are several areas of the country where the service centers are just overwhelmed by demand (both deliveries and service) so they are unfortunately that backed up. PNW and Brooklyn are the 2 that come to mind.
Yep, it seems like a "Perfect Storm" scenario:
- Ramping up production
- Higher than anticipated service volume (educated guess on my part)
- Delays in opening new locations
- Some States preventing opening Service Centers
- Hiring challenges (Low uneployment rate & tight labor market)

I really think Service Center staffing has to be huge challenge for them. Looking at the web site, they have 138 jobs open for Service Staff. These are jobs that require skilled workers, or extensive training.

Edit: It's also interesting that there are multiple jobs for Gaithersburg, MD, and also jobs for Germany and France.

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? 1677531593258

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

One for condensation in frunk causing rust (don't hardly open so big surprise) and warp(ed|ing) of ledge between back of backseat and rear cab window.
Curious if you use automatic car washes? I've observed the dryer on a particular one blowing enough air into the wiper cowl to lift the hood up. Seems like when that happens it would be trivial for it to blow water into the compartment, and it's otherwise sealed pretty well.

I think the trim you're talking about just wasn't designed properly and all the early vin trucks have this problem. If they fix it, I'd love to hear the resolution.

Last edited:

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I just called the other day for something pretty trivial. Figured it would be months away. I was given an option to schedule in 2 weeks. This was at the Houston service center.

OP
OP

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
Curious if you use automatic car washes?
Not even once. Even before I had the full body wrap, but after the wrap, they explicitly advised against it.

I hadn't opened the thing until some months after picking it up from the wiper wire loom "recall" issue. Presumably they would have had to (re)move the tub so maybe they did something wrt fitment during that window of time? All I know now is that it's significant condensation to the point of rusting the metal eyelets/fasteners of that removable false floor piece (images attached). As well as ruin the vehicle price placard I was keeping there. Same SOP as w/my Model X before the R1T, except the Tesla didn't have this issue.

I think the trim you're talking about just wasn't designed properly and all the early vin trucks have this problem.
Maybe. And that's fine from a live/learn not the end of the world sort of thing. As long as they fix it.

My larger issue is the full 5 months before being able to do _anything_. This is the sort of thing I experienced w/obtaining warranty work/rma back in '93/'94 at the very end of Commodore while waiting for them to fix my Amiga 4K. The 'spidey sense' be a tingling as it were.

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223253781.MP

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223303235

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223313936

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223325255

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223245034

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223330078

Rivian R1T R1S What is up w/service lead time? PXL_20230207_223342716

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

- Ramping up production

I really think Service Center staffing has to be huge challenge for them. Looking at the web site, they have 138 jobs open for Service Staff. These are jobs that require skilled workers, or extensive training.

Edit: It's also interesting that there are multiple jobs for Gaithersburg, MD, and also jobs for Germany and France.

1677531593258.png
Good low but I would add they did not expect the defect rate they have. A lot of people are going back due to panel issues, wind noise and whee alignment. This has contributed to the volumes. When planning their SC roll out they expected 50k built last year not the 24k they made, they knew where their large volumes would be based on 2018 to 2031 preorder holder data.
They should have ramped up temporary locations (or not close them prematurely like in DC). As it stands there are about 1000 vehicles per SC (obviously with some variation). That should not equal a 5 month wait unless there are a large number of issues. Mobile service should be handling a lot of these but doesn’t seem to be.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Right around 2-months at the Costa Mesa, CA service center.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Good low but I would add they did not expect the defect rate they have. A lot of people are going back due to panel issues, wind noise and whee alignment. This has contributed to the volumes. When planning their SC roll out they expected 50k built last year not the 24k they made, they knew where their large volumes would be based on 2018 to 2031 preorder holder data.
They should have ramped up temporary locations (or not close them prematurely like in DC). As it stands there are about 1000 vehicles per SC (obviously with some variation). That should not equal a 5 month wait unless there are a large number of issues. Mobile service should be handling a lot of these but doesn’t seem to be.
With a plant producing so few vehicles and are supply chain constrained......why such a high defect rate?

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

Rblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just got called back after placing 2 servicei ssues through the app. One for condensation in frunk causing rust (don't hardly open so big surprise) and warp(ed|ing) of ledge between back of backseat and rear cab window. Earliest service date is 139 days out; in July! Wtfo?! This is WA area btw. We all about to be driving "collector's" items; Tuckers as it were?

Seems pretty bleak if it is taking nearly half a year to get a vehicle serviced.

Happy to hear from anyone w/more insight though.
That’s quite a wait!

I called the Denver service center last week for some A-Pillar noise and a tire rotation… I dropped it off this morning and picked it up this afternoon.

My truck has been in for service a handful of times, the longest I’ve had to wait has been 2 weeks.

I realize that my situation is not yours, but Rivian service has been pretty fast and professional, in my experience. Sorry to hear your wait is so insane.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That’s quite a wait!

I called the Denver service center last week for some A-Pillar noise and a tire rotation… I dropped it off this morning and picked it up this afternoon.

My truck has been in for service a handful of times, the longest I’ve had to wait has been 2 weeks.

I realize that my situation is not yours, but Rivian service has been pretty fast and professional, in my experience. Sorry to hear your wait is so insane.
I ordered a second key fob through service, on the phone they told me three weeks but the next day was a Friday, I got an email to approve the quote and an appointment the following Monday.

I think they are struggling with time management at the SCs. I’d be curious as well to see the split between service and delivery prep as well.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
- Ramping up production

1677531593258.png
Gaithersburg, MD is the new DC area service center opening in late spring/summer.

We were at the Richmond, VA center today for a few minor items. We made our appointment back in December after delivery. They told us the are the second busiest center, smallest by sq’ and lowest staffed.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

91 days out for a few issues I called in 6 days ago. This is for the Bellevue Wa SC

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Sounds bad in Washington. In LA it's within 2-3 weeks which is expected for a new company but once you go over a month (or less if the car is undriveable of course) it's getting out of hand fast.
Sponsored