Sponsored

What is important to you from the infotainment system?

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Apple CarPlay is nice, but honestly coming from a 2007 Prius I get along just fine without it now (my wife's car has it and it's nice to see the navigation up there).

Please don't waste engineering resources on stupid fart sound effects.

It makes sense to me that Rivian would want users to stay in their ecosystem as much as possible. The car is a hardware platform, and they can provide much better integrated services if they control the software user experience. I also wonder if they feel that have some liability to provide nav integration with the RAN, as it's a major selling feature. Of course all it would take would be for the Rivian iOS/Android app to provide this navigation, and then users could use the Rivian mapping system in CarPlay.

I think it's also likely that there is pressure from Amazon to avoid CarPlay so that users stream their music and podcasts from Amazon.

Games and movies do not excite me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
As I've said previously, my primary concern is audio source and fidelity. I don't need Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. All I really want is for local media playback (eg, from USB) and a wide variety of codecs like MP3, AAC, and (preferably) FLAC. Then, if each seat could have 5.1 (they seem to have the appropriate number of speakers for it) that would be ideal. Again, this isn't for movies/TV but rather for audio.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I have no desire for CarPlay (I’ve used it on a Suburban and find it extremely underwhelming), but I really want Apple Music integration. We have a Model 3/X and not having Apple Music access is frustrating. I’d love for my car to sync my library, playlists, etc. so I have access to everything without having to resort to using Bluetooth through my phone.
Sponsored