Sponsored

What is important to you from the infotainment system?

AndroidAppBundle

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bianchi
Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM, Google Assistant, Siri, Stitcher, Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, Google Stadia, HBO Max, YouTube

Robust: 2D / 3D Graphics performance. This not only means lag-free. But satellite view and even Google Earth-esque capabilities. I want to be able to look at terrain and maps from all angles.

HTML 5 browser based on Chromium or WebKit.

Pure entertainment: Games. Stadia offers games, but requires membership. For those without membership, a few free games are needed (racing, etc)

A fart app - of course I want it.

Support for Google, Apple and Microsoft calendar

On top of great mapping software (from a visuals perspective), software that had terrain (topographic) information could be useful, support for AllTrails would be great.

Then the whole navigation system needs to be topped off with all of the DC fast charging stations. I should also be able to see the available spots at the charging stations. I should be able to even get non-DC chargers added to the route - but only if I enable it in the route options.

I want the ability to have a sentry-mode. I also want to be able to review footage from sentry events on the dashboard.

This sounds like a lot - but this is more or less trying to match Tesla, and then some minor incremental advances in capabilities. Some of this would come from having partnerships with Google Earth, AllTrails, etc. Some of it would come from great design. Some of it would come from performent front-end code, and of course.... lightning fast backends.

One thing I don't want? I don't want to be forced to use the Amazon ecosystem. I don't want Amazon getting wildly preferential treatment.

The problem with vehicles nowadays is that people just come to expect an experience that matches their iPadPro. No big deal. Tesla has done such an incredible job, they do just fine with ignoring CarPlay and Android Auto. So for a new vehicle brand....that is the next Tesla; everyone is expecting something on par with iPadOS or Tesla. And at the very least, better than the latest Audi and Mercedes infotainment systems.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM, Google Assistant, Siri, Stitcher, Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, Google Stadia, HBO Max, YouTube
One thing I don't want? I don't want to be forced to use the Amazon ecosystem. I don't want Amazon getting wildly preferential treatment.
Time to move along. A Rivian is not for you.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Apple CarPLay/Android Auto will never not be a feature I don't want. It's dumb to not have this. I complain about this on the Tesla forum too. Integration doesn't work, the phones change too fast and things like podcasts get lost in shuffle and aren't easily used, you have to dink with the phone.

As long as Amazon's junk is disable-able I won't care too much, but if I have to have an amazon account to use the system that'd be a deal breaker.

Having owned a Tesla now for almost two years I can count on one hand how many times the games were anything I cared about. I am a big fan of gaming, just not in my car. I don't find the fart stuff funny, I'm weird I know. Would be 'ooh neat' to play Stadia games on it for a minute and then the bandwidth would die as would the game. I don't want web browsers in my car, just another attack vector and they're not updated often enough for security vulns.

For me i want it to sound nice, be well balanced, let me tune it for my tastes. Music is a must on road trips

Added bonuses would be ways to use it while camping without annoying the neighbors(bluetooth to a nice rivian speaker maybe) for the tent or your camper. Stuff like that would be interesting but definitely not a deal breaker, but would go along with the outdoor themed stuff.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Robust: 2D / 3D Graphics performance. This not only means lag-free. But satellite view and even Google Earth-esque capabilities. I want to be able to look at terrain and maps from all angles.

HTML 5 browser based on Chromium or WebKit.

Pure entertainment: Games. Stadia offers games, but requires membership. For those without membership, a few free games are needed (racing, etc)

A fart app - of course I want it.

Support for Google, Apple and Microsoft calendar

On top of great mapping software (from a visuals perspective), software that had terrain (topographic) information could be useful, support for AllTrails would be great.

Then the whole navigation system needs to be topped off with all of the DC fast charging stations. I should also be able to see the available spots at the charging stations. I should be able to even get non-DC chargers added to the route - but only if I enable it in the route options.

I want the ability to have a sentry-mode. I also want to be able to review footage from sentry events on the dashboard.

This sounds like a lot - but this is more or less trying to match Tesla, and then some minor incremental advances in capabilities. Some of this would come from having partnerships with Google Earth, AllTrails, etc. Some of it would come from great design. Some of it would come from performent front-end code, and of course.... lightning fast backends.

The problem with vehicles nowadays is that people just come to expect an experience that matches their iPadPro. No big deal. Tesla has done such an incredible job, they do just fine with ignoring CarPlay and Android Auto. So for a new vehicle brand....that is the next Tesla; everyone is expecting something on par with iPadOS or Tesla. And at the very least, better than the latest Audi and Mercedes infotainment systems.
You left out Bitcoin mining.

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Rivian R1T R1S What is important to you from the infotainment system? 31B6C5C1-3889-46A1-9D57-ABD4E7681F5E

Just had a quick chat and this is the first confirmation I have seen about a surround view being present and not just out assumptions since the hardware is there.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Just had a quick chat and this is the first confirmation I have seen about a surround view being present and not just out assumptions since the hardware is there.
We've known all along the hardware is there to support it and they intend on offering the feature. However, we also know that it was not yet implemented in the firmware as of the special test drive event they had in Normal. The question remains whether this feature will be available when deliveries start or if it will be added later, but it will be available eventually.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

31B6C5C1-3889-46A1-9D57-ABD4E7681F5E.jpeg

since there is a camera that looks into the bed i wonder if the birds eye view will show the bed as well.

YamaLink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Sold my BMW this week (thank you pandemic used car market), and really enjoyed its wireless CarPlay. I've never used my Tesla's Netflix/YouTube, etc. The M3's connectivity has been in for rework already, and it's spotty at best. All I need from an R1T in terms of daily use is CarPlay, consistent voice text and music that doesn't cut out, fast foward or spool for minutes on end. CarPlay wireless is so nice for my needs that I switched to an iPhone after a life of Android when purchasing the BMW in 2020.

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
My big care-abouts:
  1. Can I use my own content (video, music) from a USB stick
  2. If YES to (1), what formats are supported
  3. Does the Meridian system support 5.1 at all?
  4. If YES to (3), is it for the entire cabin or per-seat?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
i need the screens to dim way down to barely any brightness for night driving.
hadn't thought of this yet but I agree. Especially on road trips I do a lot of night driving. Need it to dim really low so it's not a distraction.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE