Sponsored

What is important to you from the infotainment system?

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
The Web browser is much more smoother in the new Model S and X which makes things like Tesla Waze and phone screen streaming MUCH better

Calendar integration can be great when it's useful. If I can use it to jump into zoom/teams meetings with a quick tap of a button or get directions to a place that I have in my schedule, it will be one of my most used apps.

Also, the web browser is often used to "hack" the infotainment system and can access web apps versus native apps.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
after 9 years of tesla ownership, here is what I consider must haves:
Driver profiles for seats/mirrors/steering wheel
Cloud music service (assume Amazon music, maybe Spotify)
Location based embedded garage door opener
Speed limit detection / display
Energy usage history chart
Adjustable following distance for auto steer (close to car ahead, far from car ahead)
separate cruise control and Auto steer modes (if autosteer isn’t working well)
Adjustable forward collision warning (late vs early)
controls via app: climate, trunk/frunk
Info in app: location, driving status, doors open/closed
wiper service mode
Clean screen mode shuts off touchscreen

Unnecessary things that tesla has:
Web browser - literally never used
calendar integration
Auto wiper setting based on front camera AI- it has never worked and has never improved in 9 years
Summon

Nice to have for a future software update:
Games
Netflix/youtube
Sentry mode
Easter eggs
Level 5 autonomy ;-)

tesla charges $10/month for basic internet services like traffic displayed in the map (which takes like zero data), satellite maps, and cloud music services. They make like zero money from this (<0.01% of their gross profit) but annoy 100% of customers. Rivian please don’t go down that path
This is a good list. I think the biggest things I'd move up to "must have" is some kind of sentry/dashcam feature.

Nice to have wishlist:
  • A way to see surround cameras, especially if you can see a front bumper camera while driving (for offroad spotting / cramped parallel parking).
  • Include the rearview mirror in the power adjusting/driver profile settings. It's weird to have to adjust that manually when everything else is automatic.
  • Show real-time energy usage by various subsystems (motors, climate, BMS, accessory ports).
  • For bonus points, display estimated impact of various factors on your range (e.g. "You're using 40% more energy than rated range on this trip. 20% of this is due to high speeds which increase drag. 10% of this is due to extreme cold temperatures requiring the battery heater to remain active. 10% of this is due to unknown factors such as aerodynamics from accessories or towing.")
I'd actively prefer to omit the browser out since it's a huge threat vector. Web apps (e.g. for media) are fine, but don't give it a URL bar, please.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
People may hate it but I see Amazon shopping app by default so that you can just do shopping while in the car On a large screen ??

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
...a superior trip planner with reliable real time data for range management, traffic and charger availability. There's some good stand alone apps out there. Copy their best features...

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I use Alexa auto in all my cars and I'm exited to see how they integrate her into the truck.

Sponsored

Greyrm

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, BMW x5
Basics are so important - I had one of the first Jaguar F-Paces and it was a nightmare that ended up with the vehicle being returned. The jaguar took 10 seconds to display rear view camera and often didn't even work at all. Randomly rebooted the system at the most inopportune time.

My views

1. It needs to start up and not crash randomly.
2. Integration with back-up and other cameras needs to be fast
3. Any tools accessing vehicle setting ( zircon etc need to work all the time )
4. Phone integration works - placing and receiving calls
5. Music integration needs to work
6. Vehicle status and charging etc.
7. Syncing and control of driver profiles so it knows which phone to sync to
8. Some sort of night mode so that the screen isn't flooding the cabin with light when you are driving at night ( shitty F150 screen drives me mad at night - I hate it ).
9. Navigation needs integration into Waze / Apple Maps etc.
10 Need to work with Android / IOS

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Driver+ needs to be tolerant on its assessment of driver attention. Tesla nailed it out of the gate, but “enhancements” in that regard since have been been incrementally more intolerable. “3 strikes you’re out” on autopilot is crap. Especially when the message comes up on the display with no audible warning until it’s too late. If my eyes are on the road like they should be, I’m not looking at the instrument cluster for a message to put my hands on the wheel.

Also, the adaptive cruise control needs to have user selectable gaps distance and allow setting the gap close enough such that it doesn’t leave such a big gap that other cars are constantly cutting in. Tesla nailed this as well and fortunately hasn’t “enhanced” it in a negative way. Most other cars I’ve driven with adaptive cruise leave too much gap.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Driver+ needs to be tolerant on its assessment of driver attention. Tesla nailed it out of the gate, but “enhancements” in that regard since have been been incrementally more intolerable. “3 strikes you’re out” on autopilot is crap. Especially when the message comes up on the display with no audible warning until it’s too late. If my eyes are on the road like they should be, I’m not looking at the instrument cluster for a message to put my hands on the wheel.

Also, the adaptive cruise control needs to have user selectable gaps distance and allow setting the gap close enough such that it doesn’t leave such a big gap that other cars are constantly cutting in. Tesla nailed this as well and fortunately hasn’t “enhanced” it in a negative way. Most other cars I’ve driven with adaptive cruise leave too much gap.
The 11 people dead (so far) using Autopilot would probably disagree with you.

Why would you care if other cars are cutting in? The car doesn't care - it just "drives" (as such as it can).

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
The 11 people dead (so far) using Autopilot would probably disagree with you.

Why would you care if other cars are cutting in? The car doesn't care - it just "drives" (as such as it can).
I’m not going to bite on the “11 dead people” bait. We all know driver assist is orders of magnitude safer than not having it. Enough said.

As for people cutting in front, in stop and go traffic it’s just moving you further and further back in the line and pissing off everyone behind you. In normally flowing traffic, every time it happens, the car brakes to regain the gap creating a less than enjoyable ride. Not to mention, it actually creates dangerous situations with encouraging people to cut in or road ragers behind you to get overly aggressive in demonstrating their displeasure.

edit: And seeing that you are from the Carolina’s, it’s kind of like the stupid laws where they govern school buses at like 55 mph and then allow them to drive on freeways with 70 mph speed limit. They are actually creating a more dangerous situation, not less.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...As for people cutting in front, in stop and go traffic it’s just moving you further and further back in the line and pissing off everyone behind you. In normally flowing traffic, every time it happens, the car brakes to regain the gap creating a less than enjoyable ride. Not to mention, it actually creates dangerous situations with encouraging people to cut in or road ragers behind you to get overly aggressive in demonstrating their displeasure...
Seems that unless the cut-in creates an actual dangerous situation, such as being closer than the closest following distance at which the system has been safely tested, then it should simply ease off the speed to regain the desired distance.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
We all know driver assist is orders of magnitude safer than not having it. Enough said.
Do we really know that driver assist is orders of magnitude safer? I missed that data...

I've seen the advocates of full autonomy claim full autonomy will reduce fatalities for a population of drivers but so far I haven't seen a non beta version of full autonomy introduced- it's always marketed as a future upgrade...

...I've also seen autonomous driving struggle with left turns into traffic, have fatal confusion with unexpected lane lines and crossing semis. I've been creeped out by the ethics of programmers deciding which victims for the car to plow into in an 'unavoidable' collision.

If consensus is that enough has been said I'm going to have to start speaking up more...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems that unless the cut-in creates an actual dangerous situation, such as being closer than the closest following distance at which the system has been safely tested, then it should simply ease off the speed to regain the desired distance.
It would be nice if that was the case but autopilot overreacts and slows harder than I think is required.

I adjust mine to be the smallest distance available, makes for a much smoother and cleaner ride in traffic.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Do we really know that driver assist is orders of magnitude safer? I missed that data...

I've seen the advocates of full autonomy claim full autonomy will reduce fatalities for a population of drivers but so far I haven't seen a non beta version of full autonomy introduced- it's always marketed as a future upgrade...

...I've also seen autonomous driving struggle with left turns into traffic, have fatal confusion with unexpected lane lines and crossing semis. I've been creeped out by the ethics of programmers deciding which victims for the car to plow into in an 'unavoidable' collision.

If consensus is that enough has been said I'm going to have to start speaking up more...
You're absolutely right. More discussion is needed on this topic. Generally speaking, a human tends to be more susceptible to distractions than a computer system. There were 42,060 automobile deaths in 2020. I am not sure where the statistic of the 11 deaths using auto pilot was sourced, but my guess is that is a lifetime statistic and some of those deaths are attributed to misuse of autopilot. My thought on programmer ethics is at least a discussion is occurring. Today we have every individual driver making an ethical decision. Maybe we should move this discussion to a separate thread. I think it is interesting, but wouldn't want to hijack the infotainment discussion.

edit** Looks like the 11 deaths occurred in 9 crashes and is a statistic measure since 2015. This was sourced from Yahoo Finance.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Ok since someone asked, and in case anyone from Rivian actually reads these.
I would like it to play gapless, lossless flac files.
I want it to play a whole album in order. I don't want to have to select the next album manually(because I'm driving), but if I have to use a playlist, I suppose I might, just maybe still buy their vehicle.
The ability to skip to the next album would be nice, as would random album shuffle.
Playing from a SSD would be best, but a regular flash drive will work.
I don't want to use phone to do any of this.

I sound like Veruca Salt.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Ok since someone asked, and in case anyone from Rivian actually reads these.
I would like it to play gapless, lossless flac files.
I want it to play a whole album in order. I don't want to have to select the next album manually(because I'm driving), but if I have to use a playlist, I suppose I might, just maybe still buy their vehicle.
The ability to skip to the next album would be nice, as would random album shuffle.
Playing from a SSD would be best, but a regular flash drive will work.
I don't want to use phone to do any of this.

I sound like Veruca Salt.
Veruca probably would find some reason to not like Amazon Music HD, which does all that stuff, at 24-bits 192-Khz lossless FLAC, with a 70+ million catalog - this is all best in class. My *guess* is we'll get that, for obvious reason, with it being free for some limited time. With a 1TB SSD being about $100 right now, you could carry around 5000 songs outside of cellular range, all of which will sound awesome on that kick-ass sound system.
Sponsored