Sponsored

What is important to you from the infotainment system?

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
I am curious as to what other people feel is important from the infotainment system. I have not owned a Tesla so having most things controlled by the screen is new to me and my wife. I prefer buttons, but I am not scared to learn a new way of doing things. Personally I don't really care how impressive the visuals are. I do like the map behind the steering wheel from time spent in Audis, which seems to be something the Rivian will have. I couldn't care less about games, YT, fart noises, or any gimmick like that. Most important to me is that it's easy to control what vehicle functions are used most, again, I like buttons I can feel and don't have to look at. I really don't even care about music apps as Bluetooth with my phone works plenty fine. I'm not trying to start a debate about CP/AA, or buttons no buttons, I'm more looking for feedback from those of you with a Tesla or other highly screen centric vehicle, on what you don't like that Rivian can improve on.
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Sirius XM that connects to satellites, not cell towers w/streaming

reliable route planning with charging stops

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Without Android Auto they really need to nail navigation and voice integration at a minimum (the latter should be easy with Alexa).

I'm curious to see how they integrate to a phone, because I'll be fairly annoyed if I have to physically interact with my device to access my podcasts/audiobooks/streaming services. Old school Bluetooth connections just don't cut it.

Transparently displaying state of charge (ideally choosing between % and estimated range), charging rate in kW, efficiency, etc is nice. I find the approach VW took with the ID.4 to "keep it simple" for people to be pretty frustrating.

Having a version of "Dog mode" and simply just keeping the vehicle on when the driver exists so passengers can chill is important. The latter is a surprisingly annoying side effect of a feature the ID 4 has in that the car turns off when the driver gets out of the car seat.

And, I'm surprised I'm saying this but Netflix, YouTube, or the ability to cast to it from a phone would be nice during charging.

Other than that, just features that support the vehicle use like accessing the cameras, particularly for offroading are things you get used to.

johnbro23

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Financial Analyst
after 9 years of tesla ownership, here is what I consider must haves:
Driver profiles for seats/mirrors/steering wheel
Cloud music service (assume Amazon music, maybe Spotify)
Location based embedded garage door opener
Speed limit detection / display
Energy usage history chart
Adjustable following distance for auto steer (close to car ahead, far from car ahead)
separate cruise control and Auto steer modes (if autosteer isn’t working well)
Adjustable forward collision warning (late vs early)
controls via app: climate, trunk/frunk
Info in app: location, driving status, doors open/closed
wiper service mode
Clean screen mode shuts off touchscreen

Unnecessary things that tesla has:
Web browser - literally never used
calendar integration
Auto wiper setting based on front camera AI- it has never worked and has never improved in 9 years
Summon

Nice to have for a future software update:
Games
Netflix/youtube
Sentry mode
Easter eggs
Level 5 autonomy ;-)

tesla charges $10/month for basic internet services like traffic displayed in the map (which takes like zero data), satellite maps, and cloud music services. They make like zero money from this (<0.01% of their gross profit) but annoy 100% of customers. Rivian please don’t go down that path

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Adjustable following distance for auto steer (close to car ahead, far from car ahead)
wiper service mode

calendar integration
Auto wiper setting based on front camera AI- it has never worked and has never improved in 9 years
Summon

Games
Netflix/youtube
Sentry mode
Easter eggs
Level 5 autonomy ;-)

tesla charges $10/month for basic internet services like traffic displayed in the map (which takes like zero data), satellite maps, and cloud music services. They make like zero money from this (<0.01% of their gross profit) but annoy 100% of customers. Rivian please don’t go down that path
I use summon all the time when working around the house so I do not need to get in the car when I am dirty to put it in and out of the garage. I've also used it in parking lots to get out of tight spaces before getting in.

Not a deal breaker but certainly something I find useful and would use.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I use summon all the time when working around the house so I do not need to get in the car when I am dirty to put it in and out of the garage. I've also used it in parking lots to get out of tight spaces before getting in.

Not a deal breaker but certainly something I find useful and would use.
Summons was nice. But of course mine doesn’t work anymore because the constant over the air updates destroyed my car.

OTA updates are not a great as people think.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
wiper service mode

calendar integration
Summon

Games
Netflix/youtube
Sentry mode
Easter eggs
Level 5 autonomy ;-)

I’ve only had my Tesla for a little over a year, but think I agree 100% lol

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As long as they take the positives of the Tesla experience and improve where possible. For example with all the cameras a 360/Birds Eye/Surround view should be easy to execute. And I shouldn't have to wait for the car to "wake up" to process commands, the app should just store the command until the car wakes.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My main hope is that it's extremely snappy. The infotainment in my current car is like molasses and if everything is going to be controlled through a central computer as opposed to physical buttons, it's gotta be responsive.

From there, there are plenty of features and utilities that I want, but I'm okay with them being released as the system matures. That's another reason to want something snappy though; if it's going to grow in capability, I'd hope that they'd futureproof and use better/faster hardware than needed.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
add multi-lingual options. I want to hear the car bitch at me if I make the wrong turn in Cuban (not Spanish, but "Cuban") ? -

"Carajo! Te dije que dolbaras aquĂ­! Deja de comer mierda y DOBLA!!" ?

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My main hope is that it's extremely snappy. The infotainment in my current car is like molasses and if everything is going to be controlled through a central computer as opposed to physical buttons, it's gotta be responsive.

From there, there are plenty of features and utilities that I want, but I'm okay with them being released as the system matures. That's another reason to want something snappy though; if it's going to grow in capability, I'd hope that they'd futureproof and use better/faster hardware than needed.
I hope with the way things have progressed its better situation than Tesla's HW1 where the autopilot computer would not be upgraded and cars, while not many, were basically at the limit of the features they could support 2 years after purchase. Luckily there's a roadmap now of exactly what not to do.

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Both my Audi's are all screens, very few buttons. With lack of Carplay/AA they have to nail an easy route planning, phone integration system. If it is annoying to answer or place phone calls, or the phone app won't sync with the car for easy navigation entry that would stink.

I should be able to sync my calendar from my phone to the Rivian App and therefore just click the next location I have to go to.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Waze and Spotify integration, either through Rivian’s UI or Android Auto/CarPlay. Please and thank you.

And some sort of sentry mode if it’s not too much to ask.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
  • Web browser
  • Calendar integration
The Web browser is much more smoother in the new Model S and X which makes things like Tesla Waze and phone screen streaming MUCH better

Calendar integration can be great when it's useful. If I can use it to jump into zoom/teams meetings with a quick tap of a button or get directions to a place that I have in my schedule, it will be one of my most used apps.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I am hoping for some really tight integration of battery monitoring and consumption. An example of this, which I don't think any manufacturer has done yet, is to integrate route mapping and traffic congestion to indicate needing to charge before getting stuck in traffic and to wait it out while charging, or even just based on seatbelt indicators to know how many people are in the car and if taking the carpool lane will help to avoid a slow lane but also for efficiency and range.

Another thing that I would like to see if real time range based on climate settings and weather conditions. If I would indicate that while going through a snow storm the colder temps will reduce race, and then also show that if turning on the heater to a certain range it will decrease range, and if you can "tough it out" and say set the heater to 70 versus 78, then you could make it to one charging station that is roadside versus the next one which might have a restaurant and a restroom to get out of the cold.

Another smart thing I would like to see is if you did have calendar integration, the system would have an idea of when you would be leaving, and prompt you to "prep" the vehicle for departure. It could be something like, "its almost time to leave for the doctor appointment you have scheduled, do you want me to vent the car and cool it off since its 83 outside?"
Sponsored