Sponsored

What insurance companies are you all using?

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I’m in Florida. Rivian’s insurance company won’t write here. I have Costco’s connect by American family but they just raised my 6 month policy from $2200 to $3300. Nothing has changed. What companies can I shop around with? So many that I’ve tried either won’t write in Florida or don’t know what a Rivian is. Thanks!
Wait ... You pay $6,600/annually to insure your Rivian? This can't possibly be real
Sponsored

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I’m in Florida. Rivian’s insurance company won’t write here. I have Costco’s connect by American family but they just raised my 6 month policy from $2200 to $3300. Nothing has changed. What companies can I shop around with? So many that I’ve tried either won’t write in Florida or don’t know what a Rivian is. Thanks!
I also had Rivian's insurance company refuse me. Then AARP Hartford, with whom I have long my home and two other vehicles without claims did the same. I went to GEICO online and was successful in short order.

Bimmer100

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Audio HiFi Manufacturer
Clubs

We have mutual of Enumclaw and pay a touch over 1000usd a year. It’s cheaper to insure than our two i4 m50’s too. Which are about 1300each a year.
we also have home insurance with them. But they are mostly just northwest coverage company. But worth considering.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
Usaa

rjte84

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
O&G Engineer
Clubs

I'm in the process of leasing a R1T. I'm in South Florida. Rivian Insurance refused to write the policy:

Thank you for your interest and for sending over your current declarations page. I tried to run a quote for you, but sadly our insurance carrier partner's eligibility requirements were not met. The largest reason was that you currently carry state minimum limits for bodily injury coverage. Everyone has an insurance score, and the lower your liability limits for injury coverage the more that score is hurt. Anything below $100k/$300k/$100k hurts your score. Lately more and more insurers have been getting pickier about who they will insure, and the insurance score is a big part of that.

I didn't have any idea that BIL coverage played a role in your "insurance score" as is optional in Florida. Anyway, I have a bundle policy with Allstate (house and car) and I was paying (6 months) $758 for a 2021 Honda Pilot and $834 for 2023 Jeep Wrangler. Just dropped the Honda (end of lease). The quote for the R1T came around the same as the Wrangler (adding some extra options for the R1T). I'm going to try with Farmers as my employer offers some discount with them. I'm pretty screwed with the home insurance as it is really expensive, and my switching options are limited (for some reason every time I quote a HO3 policy for a townhome, as my HOA has some weird organization rules, a bunch of insurers says no thank you, StateFarm in example)

Let's see.

EDIT: Called Farmers and they said the same thing as Rivian, that I need 100/300/100 protection on my previous policy to switch. Quoted with Progressive and both cars were around $1300 (cheaper but the difference is the same as the discount I'm getting for the home insurance). State Farm quoted me $2,300 for both cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

We are with Amica and pay too much because NM has so many freakin' drunk drivers. We have a 2020 Tesla Model 3 right now which is expensive.

R1v1anNoob

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

I'm in the process of leasing a R1T. I'm in South Florida. Rivian Insurance refused to write the policy:

Thank you for your interest and for sending over your current declarations page. I tried to run a quote for you, but sadly our insurance carrier partner's eligibility requirements were not met. The largest reason was that you currently carry state minimum limits for bodily injury coverage. Everyone has an insurance score, and the lower your liability limits for injury coverage the more that score is hurt. Anything below $100k/$300k/$100k hurts your score. Lately more and more insurers have been getting pickier about who they will insure, and the insurance score is a big part of that.

I didn't have any idea that BIL coverage played a role in your "insurance score" as is optional in Florida. Anyway, I have a bundle policy with Allstate (house and car) and I was paying (6 months) $758 for a 2021 Honda Pilot and $834 for 2023 Jeep Wrangler. Just dropped the Honda (end of lease). The quote for the R1T came around the same as the Wrangler (adding some extra options for the R1T). I'm going to try with Farmers as my employer offers some discount with them. I'm pretty screwed with the home insurance as it is really expensive, and my switching options are limited (for some reason every time I quote a HO3 policy for a townhome, as my HOA has some weird organization rules, a bunch of insurers says no thank you, StateFarm in example)

Let's see.

EDIT: Called Farmers and they said the same thing as Rivian, that I need 100/300/100 protection on my previous policy to switch. Quoted with Progressive and both cars were around $1300 (cheaper but the difference is the same as the discount I'm getting for the home insurance). State Farm quoted me $2,300 for both cars.
Are you leasing your Rivian? I’ve been getting quotes here in central Florida and it’s WILD! I also read that Florida requires 100/300 when leasing. Is this true? My agent never mentioned it and has been quoting me 50/100.

rjte84

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
O&G Engineer
Clubs

Are you leasing your Rivian? I’ve been getting quotes here in central Florida and it’s WILD! I also read that Florida requires 100/300 when leasing. Is this true? My agent never mentioned it and has been quoting me 50/100.
I am waiting for the purchase steps to re-open (changed from Large Pack to Standard+). Florida doesn’t require 100/300. The lease company set the insurance requirement, no the State or the Insurance company. In example, Honda doesn’t require any specific limit (I had 2 Honda leases in the past) but Lexus requires 100/300 (a friend just leased one). I asked my guide for Rivian policy, she replied:

There are no specific insurance requirements. We just need your insurance card or binder, with the Rivian VIN reflected and valid for a minimum of 45 days. I always like to note, if you want to hold off on adding it to your insurance until you know your scheduled delivery date, that's completely fine. That way you don't have to pay insurance on it ahead of time! Up to you!

So, if you are shopping 50/100, you are fine. Prices are WILD indeed! The cheapest I got (with 50/100) was Progressive at 1,450 for 2 cars. Allstate is giving me 1,800 but I have home bundled with them and I don’t want to deal with changing home insurance now, as options are limited, expensive and also know first hand horror stories about changing insurance and later on the new insurance cancelling the policy.

JackRussellRacing

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
State Farm.... $2,098.48 / 6 mos. (North Carolina)

But, I have an 18-year old son in my household. Sigh...

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I pay an extra $420 a year to cover my R1T through Amica.

Sponsored

Nacho Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Clubs

USAA, Virginia, $585 /6 months bundled with home and 2 other cars.

IbbleGib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
State Farm, Chicago, R1S is $900/6 months with 2 drivers, $500k/$100k with $250 deductible. Also have a 2022 Tesla MYP ($600/6 months, same coverage) and homeowners + umbrella coverage through them.
EDIT: FWIW, Rivian insurance quoted me $3,300/6 months with $500 deductible for the R1S. Progressive and Geico came in at $2,000 and $1,750 (same coverage as SF) respectively.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
State Farm.... $2,098.48 / 6 mos. (North Carolina)

But, I have an 18-year old son in my household. Sigh...
Don't know if this applies to you, but we had our two kids listed on our policy even though none had a vehicle registered in their names. Upon our policy renewal this Jan I was going over cost saving options with our agent and he mentioned since neither child had a car registered in their name there was no reason to have them listed by name on our policy as insurance coverage follows the vehicle not the driver. So as long as they had my permission to drive one of "my" vehicles they were 100% covered the same as I was. By simply removing their names from our policy, our premium dropped $150 X 2 for the six month period. We saved $600/year just by removing their names from our policy with no impact on their coverage.

FWIW- we also reviewed our homeowners policy... when I mentioned my solar panels, our agent asked me the age of the roof. When I told him it was 4.5yrs old, he entered that into our policy and that reduced our homeowners policy premium $110 for the year.
Sponsored