Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

My biggest disappointment with my R1T is that I don't feel connected to the amazing mechanical hardware because of all the software between me and the various systems. The performance is objectively amazing in everyway. I understand why there needs to be software controlling all aspects of an 835 horsepower 7,000 pound vehicle. But in my daily driving, it mostly feels heavy and a little cumbersome because of all the intervening software. I'm glad the motors whine like they do or I would feel even less connected.

Is this simply how cars will be from now on or is there a way to engineer better feel into an electric vehicle?
I agree 100%— I love my R1T, it is by all objective measures the best vehicle I have ever owned, it is amazing, and I drive it every day.

I also feel less emotionally connected to it than any other vehicle in my fleet.

I was conflicted about this for a while, but I think it’s okay. I can drive the practical R1T every day, and then take the BMW or Porsche out when I have the space to just focus on driving and enjoying the experience on the weekend.
Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

My biggest disappointment with my R1T is that I don't feel connected to the amazing mechanical hardware because of all the software between me and the various systems. The performance is objectively amazing in everyway. I understand why there needs to be software controlling all aspects of an 835 horsepower 7,000 pound vehicle. But in my daily driving, it mostly feels heavy and a little cumbersome because of all the intervening software. I'm glad the motors whine like they do or I would feel even less connected.

Is this simply how cars will be from now on or is there a way to engineer better feel into an electric vehicle?
wow--I can only speak to my experience with our Tesla Model 3, 2020, but feeling connected with car is one of my favorite things about driving an e-car. We don't yet have our Rivian--just have a reservation. But having completed a not too distant drive to Mesa Verde, and taking turns with my husband driving about 2 1/2 hours at a spell --I loved the interface. WE HAD SOME CHALLENGING ROADS--TAKING NM HIGHWAYS--TWISTY AND FILLED WITH HEAVY TRUCKS WHO WANTED to pass (sorry--caps) on the 25 mph curves. I mainly used the speed adjusting wheel located on the steering wheel. Stayed off the gas and brake peddles. It is obvious I don't do hands off driving...not comfortable with that. I do enjoy "feeling' the car and its response ot the roadway. Even when it threw me off for a few seconds and the car took control and pulled to the right when it saw some aberrations in the pavement. Overall, had a relaxed and comfortable experience driving a longer distance than my usual 40 mile RT to town and back.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

wow--I can only speak to my experience with our Tesla Model 3, 2020, but feeling connected with car is one of my favorite things about driving an e-car. We don't yet have our Rivian--just have a reservation. But having completed a not too distant drive to Mesa Verde, and taking turns with my husband driving about 2 1/2 hours at a spell --I loved the interface. WE HAD SOME CHALLENGING ROADS--TAKING NM HIGHWAYS--TWISTY AND FILLED WITH HEAVY TRUCKS WHO WANTED to pass (sorry--caps) on the 25 mph curves. I mainly used the speed adjusting wheel located on the steering wheel. Stayed off the gas and brake peddles. It is obvious I don't do hands off driving...not comfortable with that. I do enjoy "feeling' the car and its response ot the roadway. Even when it threw me off for a few seconds and the car took control and pulled to the right when it saw some aberrations in the pavement. Overall, had a relaxed and comfortable experience driving a longer distance than my usual 40 mile RT to town and back.
Howdy, neighbor. A couple notes:
  • Rivian Driver+ currently only works on restricted access highways. So, 25 & 40, maybe 284/84 up by Tesuque for a few miles, but it won't work on any of the other NM highways for now. (In theory-- I have my Rivian, but I haven't brought it home to Santa Fe yet, it's at our house in Maine until this summer when we'll move it out)
  • It's a great road trip vehicle (as was my Tesla Model S), but not a "drivers car" to me-- I don't feel connected and get a rush whipping it around the corners-- if I was in my Rivian, I'd take 25 down to ABQ. But in my "drivers cars" I'd probably take 14.

Sponsored

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
Love my R1T, but the biggest issue with service. I've had some pretty major issues on mine and the local Service Center has been unable to handle basic diagnosis. I have a sticking brake issue and a clank and clunk from under the vehicle. Got towed in after a major bang while in a round-a-bout. The manager in Bellevue deleted the line and told me they found nothing and it was safe to drive.....

Well it did it again and the brakes now stick when trying to come out of park. The clunk feels like the battery is loose or floating around below you. When it clunks you can feel it in three places steering wheel, pedals, and seat....

My next service will be the 4th Work Order in 6 months for this same issue!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Love my R1T, but the biggest issue with service. I've had some pretty major issues on mine and the local Service Center has been unable to handle basic diagnosis. I have a sticking brake issue and a clank and clunk from under the vehicle. Got towed in after a major bang while in a round-a-bout. The manager in Bellevue deleted the line and told me they found nothing and it was safe to drive.....

Well it did it again and the brakes now stick when trying to come out of park. The clunk feels like the battery is loose or floating around below you. When it clunks you can feel it in three places steering wheel, pedals, and seat....

My next service will be the 4th Work Order in 6 months for this same issue!
I sort of feel this explanation of your clunk, somewhat sounds similar to mine...but deemed "normal". Please update us what happens!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have driven a lot of trucks and or SUVs with off-road suspension set ups over the years so my interpretation of the "disconnection" was literal amazement. The fact that I can drive a 7000 pound truck that is this smooth, quiet, fast AND capable is still hard to get my head around.

I understand the "feeling" that you are less connected to the mechanicals, but most ICE cars are using electronic power steering and a million traction control micro adjustments are happening while you drive these days anyway. The loss of that analogue connection has been happening industry wide for anything other than a few sports cars.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
I sort of feel this explanation of your clunk, somewhat sounds similar to mine...but deemed "normal". Please update us what happens!
I will update for sure. I've also requested a potential buy back or repurchase since this safety issue can not seem to be remedied. Again I absolutely love the truck and has amazing function on and off road, but I need it to be safe for some of the areas I drive.

OriGenbio

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Engineer

Until Tesla removed it, I had a Lamborghini engine revving recording I could play on the external speakers. I think this would be a good sound for the low speed pedestrian warning.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I'd assume you are going through the same thing pilots go through when they switch from older planes with mechanical yoke/pedal/interface and suddenly go to a fly by wire plane.

If you're looking for a physical aspect of it, sorry to tell you, it's long gone. Much like before power steering/brakes when you had to put some oomf into it. The same with springs before shock absorbers. Consumers want ultra comfort, non-jarring, softness. They don't want to be bumped around, banged around, and exhausted from having to yank on the wheel. For that matter, they don't even want manual transmissions any more.

That physical effect, trust me, it's going away, be lucky you still have a steering wheel.
Sponsored