What I like least about my R1T

OP
OP

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
I think we're all puzzled about what it is you are expecting or think the alternative would be. Cars have not been mechanically connected to their systems in the way you seem to be expecting since the 1980s when cable-controlled throttles and non-ABS brakes were common.
I think I already mentioned that the R1T is the best vehicle I have owned and has amazing performance. I also acknowledged lots of software is needed in a vehicle like the R1T. I am also aware that all modern vehicles going back at least 30 years have software reacting to a driver's inputs.

I, maybe unreasonably, expected to feel more connection with the vehicle than I do when driving it.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i think i know what you mean but thats just the difference between ICE and BEV. whereas ICE is mechanical (mostly), BEVs are a combo of mechanical and software. its the software layer that "enhances" the vehicle from things like braking, acceleration, cornering, its trying to do more than an ICE would and simply makes it different from a more traditional mechanical vehicle.

it is what it is but its also what gives BEVs an advantage of being able to improve over time.

OP
OP

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure this is the visceral connection that some ICE folks talk about as a potential negative for EV. Some miss the manual or auto shift points, custom aggressive exhaust, even the smell of petro in the morning, etc.

I was fearful of the above given my prior love affair with V8's, but got over it quickly due to the R1T's substantial performance advantages. I did throw up in my mouth a little bit during the first launch.

Now when seeing and hearing an ICE vehicle at WOT, a loud exhaust winding through the gears just seems to mask the slower speeds and highlights the inefficiencies. Kinda like a penis extention.

No offense intended.
None taken since we drive the same vehicle. Edit: Oops, we don't - at least not yet.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
i think i know what you mean but thats just the difference between ICE and BEV. whereas ICE is mechanical (mostly), BEVs are a combo of mechanical and software. its the software layer that "enhances" the vehicle from things like braking, acceleration, cornering, its trying to do more than an ICE would and simply makes it different from a more traditional mechanical vehicle.

it is what it is but its also what gives BEVs an advantage of being able to improve over time.
I don't think this is a true statement, or at least has not been a true statement for a long time. Basically every single interface between the user and the underlying hardware in a modern vehicle is mediated by software, regardless of powertrain type.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Last edited:

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
so your 2016 Pilot is more engaging to drive?
Exactly! I don't think I understand the OPS use of the word "connection". Maybe op can explain the connection they see or don't see with the 2016 Pilot or 2019 Jetta.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Go buy an NA Miata and ~1997 GMT400 Pickup.

No “software interventions“

OP
OP

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly! I don't think I understand the OPS use of the word "connection". Maybe op can explain the connection they see or don't see with the 2016 Pilot or 2019 Jetta.
No one expects a dynamic driving experience in my wife's Pilot or my daughter's Jetta. They are fine for our purposes, but no one is going to be collecting Honda Pilots or VW Jettas in 30 years.

I really like my R1T. It is a great vehicle, but I think it is expectations - and mine as to the feel of the R1T were clearly overly optimistic. I suppose I wanted the daily experience to feel quick and agile, 7,000 pounds be damned! The objective performance is fantastic, no doubt. Others have mentioned the lack of ICE sound and vibration characteristics may be an issue in the experience, which is fair. However, I love the sound of the motors in the R1T, so it is not just that. I think the combo of weight and the software makes it less engaging (fun?) than I expected.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You have to change your idea of what it means to be connected with your car. I’ve never been more connected to any car I’ve ever had than I am with my R1.

With zero throttle lag, and one pedal driving my truck does exactly what I want when I want it. I’ve driven some pretty nice ICE cars and I’ve never had anything I felt Was an extension of myself as much as this truck. I cannot wait for the future sporty EVs that are small but handle great and have the same sort of throttle feeling. They will be setting course records.

Sure I don’t have the rumble of a V8 or the jostling of a transmission shifting but I didn’t control that. It just happened and with all other cars other than this one I’ve felt like a passenger when the car did its thing. Now, my R1 just feels like an extension of my foot and it does exactly what I want it to do

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
The responses are interesting.

No one has claimed, so far, to feel connected to the R1T and its mechanical systems when driving it.

I guess the answer to my question is "no."
I feel very connected. Every input I make, the truck does. It's as simple as that! I wasn't expected it to handle like a Caterham/Ariel Atom/Single seater sports car (and I've driven all three). Maybe I don't quite follow what you're getting at?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The 3-4 month wait for service even on an issue that was supposed to be fixed when I waited 3-4 months for it.

Runner ups:
The TOK on acceleration and declaration -> This is the nagging issue causing my grief
The throttle mapping -> Feels like there is too much empty space especially in reverse
I wish Sport Mode would tighten up the steering
Even with a working and lubed tonneau cover the sound it makes doesn't inspire confidence
Luke Warm heated steering wheel
The heated steering wheel button being hidden behind another button
Glitchiness errors where till briefly display things like "service suspension soon", but then they'll go away.
Glitches with Spotify Favorites (limited number) and playlists not playing all the songs
Motors are pretty loud - Wish there was a rear wheel drive quiet mode
Preconditioning for Charging is horrifically loud

Things that are bad, but possible fixes exist:
Navigation is horrible -> The fix is reporting bugs issues to mapbox
Rear view camera is unusable in the rain (I got so hydrophobic coating to try)

Things I'm currently testing to determine if a bug exist:
The Air Compressor didn’t stop at the PSI I entered, and kept going well past the set point. It worked correctly for the first couple of tires, but didn’t work correctly for the third. It doesn’t output the PSI as it increases so there is no way of knowing its going over.
Forward and reverse seems to have a different engagement point. This could be in my head.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The responses are interesting.

No one has claimed, so far, to feel connected to the R1T and its mechanical systems when driving it.

I guess the answer to my question is "no."
Feel pretty damn connected with my right foot and two hands...and it's awsome power. It's like lighting up a rocket

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
The biggest annoyance for me was lane assist. I turned it off and I'm happy. I think it did impact connection with the truck because it was constantly providing noticeable input (and not in a good way).
I do laugh a lot more at people who rev engines or have a loud engine when accelerating (slowly) now that I know I can smoke them in a pickup that is nearly silent.
Sponsored