Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I've never seen an EV that did not allow you to schedule a charge time start. One caveat - many are like the old mechanical timers for your lights, when 10PM (or whatever) rolls around, it will initiate a charge. If you plug in the vehicle at 10:15 PM, it won't start charging until 10PM the following day.
Most "smart" chargers will allow you to schedule charging as well. Some allow you to enter the time window you allow charging - typical for TOU customers (you can always override). Other connect to your utility and and gather the info to charge only at the lower cost times (once again, you can always override), and often allows them to delay charging during peak events (my utility pays me $50/yr to enable this).

I cannot see Rivian not having their EVSE set up for this - it is better for both the grid and the customer and fits with the vision put forth by Rivian. Details on how it is implemented will come in time.
Thanks. Will be my first EV. I have a lot to learn.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I asked customer service this question recently. I would like to be able to schedule my charging during the daytime using excess power from my solar panels. CS told me the rivian app would allow this. When I asked if that was possible regardless of which charger I select, she could not answer yet.
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Standard EVSE's are rather "dumb" devices. They're basically just contactors/relays. The vehicle is in control.

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
I am all about V2H...that would be an awesome feature with the caveat that additional electrical work would be need at the panel. Regardless, better than 7.5k backup generator for the few times needed per year. V2G however; that to me doesn’t make much sense unless the utilities are paying a pretty penny for the added battery cycling.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I asked customer service this question recently. I would like to be able to schedule my charging during the daytime using excess power from my solar panels. CS told me the rivian app would allow this. When I asked if that was possible regardless of which charger I select, she could not answer yet.
EV charge points are really just complicated light switches when it comes down to it. The vehicle’s onboard chargers are responsible for actually charging the vehicle, the charge point in your house is just responsible for telling the vehicle how much current it can safely draw, turning the power on, and turning it off when you press the release button so there’s no arcing. Everything complicated about the charge is controlled by the vehicle.

Charge points that offer timers and other smart stuff are just going to cut the data pin connection when they are configured to stop charging, and then connect the data pin when charging is enabled, that’s all the control they really have.

Using the app to configure the charge rate and schedule is just telling the vehicle when it should draw current, and how much. As long as it has a connection to AC power (as smart or as dumb as you feel like buying) it can do this.

V2G/H/* systems are a different story as far as ”smarts” but the principle is effectively the same.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I am all about V2H...that would be an awesome feature with the caveat that additional electrical work would be need at the panel. Regardless, better than 7.5k backup generator for the few times needed per year. V2G however; that to me doesn’t make much sense unless the utilities are paying a pretty penny for the added battery cycling.
I am too Rivianmd. So community, what do we need to know to get a V2H system? What charger? What special electrical panel equipment / requirements? etc...?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Seems like you are asking for V2H, not V2G.
V2H will allow you to power your home from the Rivian
V2G allows your utility company to "borrow" energy from you battery to balance demand.

1617203296487.png

https://energycentral.com/c/ec/v2g-v2h-what’s-difference#:~:text=While in V2G the car,large power plants supplying it.
Do any of know. So my situation living on the coast of NC, hurricanes. I have a smaller back up generator and lock out main panel, so I can run on NG and power most everything. V2H would be awesome, simpler and possibly more power than I currently have. What is required from Rivian to make this possible and has anyone confirmed with Rivian if they will offer this option?

ColoradoRivian

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
Let me piggyback on RivianMD and Sheydon: does hardware currently exist to allow V2H Powerwall type functionality as well as DC to DC charging from home solar panels? This seems within the capability of a smart inverter, but I am a few years out of date on current tech in this space. V2H would add significant value to an EV for our household, and DC to DC charging just seems smarter, faster, more efficient, etc. Thanks!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Let me piggyback on RivianMD and Sheydon: does hardware currently exist to allow V2H Powerwall type functionality as well as DC to DC charging from home solar panels? This seems within the capability of a smart inverter, but I am a few years out of date on current tech in this space. V2H would add significant value to an EV for our household, and DC to DC charging just seems smarter, faster, more efficient, etc. Thanks!
AFAIK, this is only available on CHAdeMO currently. It will entail implementing the DC pins on CCS and these do not exist on the J1772 connectors. A V2H unit will need to be a low powered DCFC device. Manufacturers will either need to wait until CharIn finalizes the standard, or go with the proposed specs and hope for the best (and few or no changes when the are implemented into the standard).
We might see Rivian come out of the gate with V2H capability and the required home equipment, but that is a significant investment in resources. They may have prioritized other facets of the vehicle charging to get to where they want to be for launch.

I was pleasantly surprised at the RAN announcement they made - it was far more extensive than I anticipated. Would love to see them pushing the V2H/V2G boundaries just as hard. It would certainly be another feature differentiating them from the competition.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Three phase power in a residential area is very uncommon in North America as I understand it. From what I have read level 2 charging power delivery is in general a better way to charge factoring the chemistry of the battery and longevity. There are many more in this forum who will get into details on this.

Its my understanding that I want to only use DCFC when I need it, not as a primary. The only reason I would use it is on a road trip to add range fast.
It’s not common in residential homes but it is commonly available and I have it at my house. it is common for high draw (elevator, compactor, large pumps etc). Much more efficient and don’t we all care about efficiency?

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
It’s not common in residential homes but it is commonly available and I have it at my house. it is common for high draw (elevator, compactor, large pumps etc). Much more efficient and don’t we all care about efficiency?

Most of my friends who have 3 phase power are running CNC mills.

As a farmer my guess is you have a lot more friends with 3 phase power. Here in my patch of suburbia its a no go by code. Farmers have got some of the best tools (toys) ;)

Last edited:

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Most of my friends who have 3 phase power are running CNC mills.

As a farmer my guess is you have a lot more friends with 3 phase power. Here in my patch of suburbia its a no go by code. Farmers have got some of the best tools (toys) ;)
code prohibited? That smells fishy. But yah, I’ve got a new luxe barn waiting for power hook up and can’t decide if I do 3ph here too. They’re not toys. If they were, I couldn’t 179 em.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
code prohibited? That smells fishy. But yah, I’ve got a new luxe barn waiting for power hook up and can’t decide if I do 3ph here too. They’re not toys. If they were, I couldn’t 179 em.
I don’t know about “code prohibited” but I know three phase simply isn’t present in the underground lines feeding the transformers, in my neighborhood. All we can get is split-phase.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
A 50 amp 1450 outlet exists in my garage and I am using a Clipper Creek cord that matches this output for charging.
Sponsored