First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
When I built my garage 2+ years ago I just assumed eventually I would have an electric vehicle so I had a 100 amp panel put in and the wiring put in the wall for a permanent charger for a 60 amp circuit.

Trying to leverage new construction to plan for the future, the garage is also heated so the panel was not just for the prospective BEV.

I state this because if it was my old garage I would be doing what many suggest here and using the included mobile charger. Seems like a very reasonable way to go.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Right... I was assuming Bobthebuilder was refering to the input of the EVSE not the output.
The CCS2 connector and EU spec vehicles do allow for 22 kW L2 charging on 3-phase.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
The CCS2 connector and EU spec vehicles do allow for 22 kW L2 charging on 3-phase.
I'm not sure what Bobthebuilder meant in his original comment. With my limited knowledge of electrical and EVSE there didn't seem to be anything preventing use of 3 phase power on the line side of EVSE. Clipper Creek makes 3 phase L2 EVSE seen below but I do not see the benefit for a residential user over a single phase L2 if using for an R1.
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-con...58346.61524054.1617108241-14915757.1612531605

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I've got the same and plan to do the same. Did you get a load shed module? And do your major appliances run off electric?

I'm having a propane backup generator installed (happy wife happy life) and asked the electrician to hook it up at the same time, said I'll need the load shed even if it doesn't go to secondary panel.
Riviot,

First of all, Welcome Aboard! And good for you for grabbing that forum name! I wondered how long it was going to be until someone finally seized upon it. Apparently, that answer was 3/29/21. If you've been following this Forum for any length of time, you'll know I mean this with the greatest of respect and love when I say we finally have a Village Riviot! :clap:

I followed DucRider's advice and also picked up ChargePoint's Home Flex unit and plan on a 60-amp installation over a 50-amp setup (so as to allow 48 amps to the R1T rather than 40), unless panel restrictions stop me.

Smart idea to have your electrician wire the Juicer and the Jenny at the same time. Good to have a pro look at the entire system at once, rather than piecemealing it and maybe missing something. Likely less expensive, as well. Side note: I ordered my Home Flex at midnight on a Friday and Amazon had it sitting on my front porch by 6:30 Saturday evening. Now I'm hoping Rivian can match that delivery performamce and have my R1T sitting in my garage by 6/30.

Again, welcome to the Forum! There are lots of great folks here, many of us also from the PNW and already talking about meet-ups and play-dates around the area.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

When I built my garage 2+ years ago I just assumed eventually I would have an electric vehicle so I had a 100 amp panel put in and the wiring put in the wall for a permanent charger for a 60 amp circuit.

Trying to leverage new construction to plan for the future, the garage is also heated so the panel was not just for the prospective BEV.

I state this because if it was my old garage I would be doing what many suggest here and using the included mobile charger. Seems like a very reasonable way to go.
Smart move on your part! I wish I'd done the same thing, but even in '92, my vision wasn't that good. Man, I'd love to have a heated garage in addition to all that capacity!

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Smart move on your part! I wish I'd done the same thing, but even in '92, my vision wasn't that good. Man, I'd love to have a heated garage in addition to all that capacity!
We insulated and heated for many reasons including a Garage office which when the pandemic hit turned out to be quite fortuitous.

While pricey closed cell foam insulation is AMAZING spray some on the walls and get an electric heater and you are good to go!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When I install my EVSE I'm going to install a sub panel. One day I'm going to get around to installing a mini-split HVAC in the garage so I can work more comfortably in winter/summer.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Riviot,

First of all, Welcome Aboard! And good for you for grabbing that forum name! I wondered how long it was going to be until someone finally seized upon it. Apparently, that answer was 3/29/21. If you've been following this Forum for any length of time, you'll know I mean this with the greatest of respect and love when I say we finally have a Village Riviot! :clap:

I followed DucRider's advice and also picked up ChargePoint's Home Flex unit and plan on a 60-amp installation over a 50-amp setup (so as to allow 48 amps to the R1T rather than 40), unless panel restrictions stop me.

Smart idea to have your electrician wire the Juicer and the Jenny at the same time. Good to have a pro look at the entire system at once, rather than piecemealing it and maybe missing something. Likely less expensive, as well. Side note: I ordered my Home Flex at midnight on a Friday and Amazon had it sitting on my front porch by 6:30 Saturday evening. Now I'm hoping Rivian can match that delivery performamce and have my R1T sitting in my garage by 6/30.

Again, welcome to the Forum! There are lots of great folks here, many of us also from the PNW and already talking about meet-ups and play-dates around the area.
Thanks, Duck! I've been following long enough the wife would say the name suits. "Oh, you're looking at Rivian stuff again?"

I'm having the 30amp dryer breaker connected to the ATS secondary panel too, in emergencies can charge with the Rivian NEMA charger. Propane powered Rivian! ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

We insulated and heated for many reasons including a Garage office which when the pandemic hit turned out to be quite fortuitous.

While pricey closed cell foam insulation is AMAZING spray some on the walls and get an electric heater and you are good to go!
That's great to know. I have a South-facing garage and in the Summer, that space is cookin'. I was going to insulate the walls before the builder put up the sheet rock, but they forgot and put it up early. As it turns out, the doors are where most of the heat and cold come from anyway, but I still may do as you say and also replace the doors and weatherstripping to make it a more temporate environment.

Thanks for the education!

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
That's great to know. I have a South-facing garage and in the Summer, that space is cookin'. I was going to insulate the walls before the builder put up the sheet rock, but they forgot and put it up early. As it turns out, the doors are where most of the heat and cold come from anyway, but I still may do as you say and also replace the doors and weatherstripping to make it a more temporate environment.

Thanks for the education!
I have used reflectix bubble insulation on cargo compartments in our travel trailer and on my uninsulated garage door. It has worked really well!

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I dont think this was posted anywhere before, sorry if it was: I asked CS yesterday what NEMA adaptors would come with/ be available for purchase for the included portable charger: was told it would come with 5-15 and 14-50, no other adaptors available at first.

Also asked if Rivian branded wall EVSE would be hardwired only or have a plug in 14-50/6-50 option: was told hardwired only.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I went with the Blink level 2 charger. It was the cheapest I saw with good reviews and was on Amazon - quick shipping.
I had just used the Tesla mobile charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 for 8 years, but it died on me, so I hardwired the Blink unit in instead. Works fine. Only 32A, but I don't care, but that's still a full charge in about 8 hours - if I ran it all the way down, which I don't.
I couldn't find anything that said I was eligible for a rebate on this, so I will look again. That would be a nice bonus!