atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

I appreciate all the responses. Can’t wait to drive one. I may try to test drive a Tesla in the next couple weeks to see how a quick EV feels. I did drive an Audi E-tron a few weeks ago and loved the experience. If it was a touch bigger I think their market would expand big time. Just too small for my needs.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
From my somewhat limited experiences, I don't think there's a real comparison between an R1T and another vehicle with half as much weight and power - it doesn't feel from my memory banks that the line is linear. I can't recall any other car I've driven at 400-450hp (and most of those were lighter than 3750lbs) giving me the same experience I got while out on an R1T test drive.

The most recent I've driven that would fall into that category is a Jaguar F-Type. It was really nice, super fast. Pretty sure the R1T would have smoked it at any distance/speed. I think the 0-60 on that was like 3.8 seconds or something, which if you think about it, is like 25% slower than the R1T. If you extrapolate that across anything else, at the end of the quarter mile the Jag has only gone 3/16ths of a mile ? (Don't check my math please.)

Both the power off the line (thanks instant torque) and the middle-range explosiveness (think going from 30-70mph) in the R1T were superior to what I've experienced in any other 'performance'-level car that falls into those general ranges (half the HP, half the weight of an R1T).

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
So I’ve never driven a vehicle with more than 400 hp or so. I drive a Jeep Wrangler and it’s really fun but not what you’d call fast. For those that have driven the R1T or are used to other high performance cars, what’s it like to have so much power at your disposal? I’ve seen way too many videos where the driver of a sports car or something similar is showing off and quickly gets out of control. Same thing with the Rivian, I assume?
It feels like you get slammed to the back of your seat instantly and it's acceleration I've never felt before compared with gas cars. It's on par with what I've felt in a Tesla sedan. However, unlike other high horsepower cars, the R1T is very stable and controlled. Never ever felt out of control. No slippage or felt I was going to lose it.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

You will not be disappointed. For those who thrive on the sound, rumble, and tension that builds as you stand on the gas and brakes at the same time, with the engine grinding to a crescendo before launching your ICEasaurus, the R1T may seem a little underwhelming. That is, until you push the accelerator to the floor.

Once you do that, all of that beautiful torque quietly comes on a once. It's not so much a pedal as it is a light switch. You just flick it. No aural drama. In fact, little sound at all, other than possibly the tires doing their level best to convert all 908 lbs-ft of that torque into traction as best they can, while magically limiting any spin. Think of watching NASA launch a rocket into space with the sound turned down, or maybe an F/A-18E/F Super Hornet going from 0 to Airborne in about nothing flat while leaving an Aircraft Carrier.

The ride is more akin to a theme park roller coaster powered by a huge flywheel. The type of ride where they release the clutch and the drive quietly catches hold, and you silently shoot forward and out of the station. One major difference in the R1T is that you're at the wheel, and you're not stuck on a defined, certain path. There are no rails. You control where you take it. What you can't control are the muscles in your face. No matter how much the g-forces are pulling every part of you back in the seat, a smile will appear as you shoot forward with the countryside flying by outside, faster and faster.

One difference between this and space travel, however, is that, on Earth, they can hear you scream....and laugh....
This is poetry. I expect my R1S to be poetry in motion.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm only curious what 800 hp feels like on snow covered roads.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
As someone who owns/driven a number of fast cars, I can say that power delivery is very different depending on the vehicle.

As you know the Rivian or any newer EV is very heavy so whether it is 500, 800, or 1000hp, you'll need a lot of power to get it moving. Stated figures are 3.0 seconds 0-60 which is VERY respectable. Not sure what cars you've driven but as an example, I have a BMW X5M which has 570hp (V8 twin turbo). That is pretty very fast and beats most vehicles out there and "only" has a high 3 second 0-60, maybe 3.8 seconds.

The Rivian is 3.0 seconds. For a 0-60 time to drop 0.8 seconds requires a lot of power so yes, Rivian will feel extremely fast.

Go test out a Tesla Model 3 performance which has a 0-60 of 3.1 seconds. The Rivian will be just about the same, if not FEEL faster because it is larger.

Keep in mind that the 0-60mph number is a small part of it. Many EVs lose steam after it which is why the Tesla Model S Plaid is such a big deal. It just keeps going and going. A Model 3 Performance loses steam after ~80mph and most "fast" cars will pass it. 80mph is fast, but in this day and age, you get there so fast, to some it matters what a car can do after 80mph. It matters to me.

Horsepower is what gets you to where you're going. Torque is what you feel. So know that horsepower isn't everything. A Tesla Model 3 performance feels very fast because of the torque but "only" has ~430hp. You'll get the jump on many cars, but some sports cars will quickly catch up after the first hundred or so feet if it has more horsepower.

Anyway, I can go on and on about this but that's the basics right there.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'm only curious what 800 hp feels like on snow covered roads.
Like any other 800hp vehicle on snow covered roads. :p

Lots of spinning tires. Toss some dedicated snow/winter tires on a 4x4/AWD vehicle in the snow and it'll be a beast. Will still spin if you want it to.
Sponsored