Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

jpom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'd love to be able to open or close the tonneau cover while in drive and not have to stop. At least at something maybe sub 45 mph. Lots of on and off of dirt roads, where it's open on dirt but closed on pavement.
Why?
Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Not sure if you drive gravel regularly or not, but having the tonneau closed on a dusty road will fill up the bed with dust like no other. However, leaving it open while on gravel significantly reduces how much dust actually builds up in there. Again, I’m off and on gravel all the time so opening/closing frequently. It’s electric anyway, why not allow us to open/close it without having to come to a complete stop, push the button and wait and then put into drive again.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve never gotten a true push notification on my phone for a Rivian OTA update. I have seen it say an update is ready in the app once I am already opening it and checking the version page…. But I’ve had to go looking each time. I’d prefer it would push a notification that shows like text messages or emails in my phone notification drawer.

On that topic, I also wish I could snooze the update message for a period of time. My update became available while I was at work, and when I got in my R1T it pops up a modal with a single button (I think it said “continue“) but I did NOT want to apply an update at work. Multiple reasons for this:
  1. Update takes ~75 minutes and I don’t want to wait at work.
  2. If something goes wrong I don’t want to be stranded.
  3. If something goes wrong, I’ll have a tough time getting a tow — my truck barely fits in the parking garage, as-is (about 3/4’’ height clearance in standard ride height). I don’t know how a tow truck could extract me. Maybe deflate the tires?
  4. Update can disable vehicle locking while in progress, and I dont want to leave truck accessible if I did go back into the office while it does it’s thing.
Dismissing it once isn’t that big of a deal. I do like seeing the update as soon as it’s ready. But I ran some errands on the way home, and the message pops up every time you get in the truck. And there is no way to dismiss the modal. You have to “continue” then exit the subsequent update page.

Ideally, there would be a “snooze” option that would either let me snooze reminders for a period of time OR don’t remind me again until I get home.
The popup on the truck says "head to settings to apply the update". If you click the button to start the update, it does that step for you. It should still be there if you told it not now.

I did get one on my phone from a previous update. Either leave the notification in the bar or start the update from the truck later if you can't do it right then.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The popup on the truck says "head to settings to apply the update". If you click the button to start the update, it does that step for you. It should still be there if you told it not now.
that's the point... it shows up ever. damn. time. I get in the truck. I want to be able to snooze it and not see it for some period of time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

that's the point... it shows up ever. damn. time. I get in the truck. I want to be able to snooze it and not see it for some period of time.
I gotcha. So far I've never not initiated the update as soon as I was informed about it. I imagine I'd probably say no if it came while we were in the middle of a road trip though, and agree it would be irritating to be continually notified about it every time we stopped for a charge.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I gotcha. So far I've never not initiated the update as soon as I was informed about it. I imagine I'd probably say no if it came while we were in the middle of a road trip though, and agree it would be irritating to be continually notified about it every time we stopped for a charge.
Yea, I do it as soon as I get home. But the last update came while I was at work, and I drove to lunch, then ran some errands after work, then went out to dinner... Didn't want to update until I was back in my garage and knew I didn't need to go anywhere for a couple hours.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Fixing the track advance button for BT devices would be cool. Discovered today after two months of frustration that the button is reversed about half the time when I'm using overcast or Apple Music, so pressing to the right skips backwards 30 seconds and left goes forward.

Enabling the key fob to unlock if you touch a door handle would be great. I'm still finding the phone key to be wildly inconsistent at best. Using the fob seems like a basic sort of function these days, cars that cost half or less than the Rivian can unlock based on presence of a fob+touching the door.

Satellite radio. Streaming Sirius would be an okay baby step, but I've found cell reception for the car to not always be that great and long term I don't currently see any reason why I would ever pay for Rivian subscription to get last generation connectivity for streaming services that work better on my phone.

Option to remove Alexa all together and fully tie in Siri or Google Assistant for phone control.

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
I would the the ”Auto” button for the HVAC cycle through the current alternatives plus a third: normal auto, manual and off (new). Otherwise I have to push the fan lower symbol a bunch of times to turn off. This would go well with the other suggestions about not cranking the hvac upon opening the door. Wait until the driver is seated…

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
I would the the ”Auto” button for the HVAC cycle through the current alternatives plus a third: normal auto, manual and off (new). Otherwise I have to push the fan lower symbol a bunch of times to turn off. This would go well with the other suggestions about not cranking the hvac upon opening the door. Wait until the driver is seated…
Can’t you just hit the climate power button for toggling “On/Off”?

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Can’t you just hit the climate power button for toggling “On/Off”?
Its a design/safety issue. I don't want to go hunting for another option when I'm driving. One button to quickly cycle through the options can be learned. Just because you have the real estate on a big screen, doesn't mean its a good idea to fill it with lots of different buttons...

Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Its a design/safety issue. I don't want to go hunting for another option when I'm driving. One button to quickly cycle through the options can be learned. Just because you have the real estate on a big screen, doesn't mean its a good idea to fill it with lots of different buttons...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your request, but the button press to bring up the climate screen to access the "auto" button also gives you the power button, so no additional searching or additional steps to take your eyes away from the road.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Reposition the 'now playing, next, previous' graphic to the driver's side of the big screen. Less reach to get to that would be a big improvement.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Alexa?

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
I'd like my frunk to actually be locked if the truck is locked.

I just walked up to my locked truck and opened my frunk. I know they just added the ability to close your frunk if your truck is locked but I think the software has a bug since mine will open as well.
Sponsored