Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Wow, that sucks. How the hell did they miss that one?
SD Card? I don't think they missed that. It's a relic of a past era and serves no useful purpose in the R1T.

Now playing music over USB... It's a niche use-case, but still valid.... I suspect we will see this added OTA. But if you look at the R1T, as a whole, much of the software as-launched was "minimum viable product" and the reality is that music-over-USB is not necessary to launch. They had to prioritize efforts, and actually releasing the truck was (rightfully so) their top priority. The hardware is present, so the software can come later.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow, that sucks. How the hell did they miss that one?
People still use SD cards for music?

SD Card? I don't think they missed that. It's a relic of a past era and serves no useful purpose in the R1T.

Now playing music over USB... It's a niche use-case, but still valid.... I suspect we will see this added OTA. But if you look at the R1T, as a whole, much of the software as-launched was "minimum viable product" and the reality is that music-over-USB is not necessary to launch. They had to prioritize efforts, and actually releasing the truck was (rightfully so) their top priority. The hardware is present, so the software can come later.
If they are running Android Automotive, I'd like to see them pick up Audiowagon support. It works adequately in my Polestar 2.

We had the radio off for most of our last trip and I gotta say, it was kinda nice just having the silence.

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
Just got back from a weekend away road trip and I would say that it would be nice to have a "resume" for the normal cruise control. Also the camp speaker has been really difficult to get going especially if it is near the truck (who takes it very far away anyway?) My phone bluetooth is linked to the truck so everytime I walked close enough the truck unlocked and the spotify in the truck started playing and the bluetooth speaker went off. I eventually shut off the automatic unlock with the phone to stop it from doing that but It seems that the pairing between the truck and its camp speaker needs to be more intuitive.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T

Totally disagree about the SD Card thing but, of course, you're entitled to your opinion. I, and many people I know, have music on SD slots in their vehicles. Why do new Audis, Lexus, etc. still have them if they're a "relic from the past"? (I know they're rarely used for software updates, but it happens, occasionally). I personally have about 400GB of music at the ready in my cars' and truck's SD slots and it's awesome. I'd say it's even more relevant as new phones don't have SD Slots, and if you don't have a 1TB (or, at least a 512) phone, you become limited in stoage, especially with the OS and myriad apps. Luckily, my 2nd phone is an S20 which still has a slot and with a 512GB card. I can't speak to Apple, have never owned an iPhone and never will - Android all the way. Access to cloud stored music and streaming services becomes nil when you're out of cell range, which I will be often, and where I plan to be taking my R1T.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I spent 6 hours driving around with no service this weekend and played Spotify the whole time. Not sure if that's due to the option to download for offline play or what, but it worked flawlessly. I am in the same boat as those who have never used an SD card to store music for a vehicle. I've usually been a radio listener or paired to my phone to spotify through that. I've had no issues being able to stream music in my R1T even on extended offroad adventures 🤷

Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
People still use SD cards for music?
He'll yes! And I like listening to my music when I'm out rolling around. Silence is certainly nice, sometimes. But if I'm solo, I like it loud!

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I spent 6 hours driving around with no service this weekend and played Spotify the whole time. Not sure if that's due to the option to download for offline play or what, but it worked flawlessly. I am in the same boat as those who have never used an SD card to store music for a vehicle. I've usually been a radio listener or paired to my phone to spotify through that. I've had no issues being able to stream music in my R1T even on extended offroad adventures 🤷
That's encouraging. My music is also stored on Google Drive, so if I can access that, then great. 1st world problems here, but on the newest, tech trick $80k toy, well...I'm assuming that using my phone as the audio source will allow me to access my music apps (meaning music players - not Spotify, Pandora, etc).

Not having SirusXM option is still a bummer. I listen to the comedy channels and sports radio A LOT on long drives. Maybe this is much ado about nothing. Still stoked.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Totally disagree about the SD Card thing but, of course, you're entitled to your opinion. I, and many people I know, have music on SD slots in their vehicles. Why do new Audis, Lexus, etc. still have them if they're a "relic from the past"? (I know they're rarely used for software updates, but it happens, occasionally). I personally have about 400GB of music at the ready in my cars' and truck's SD slots and it's awesome. I'd say it's even more relevant as new phones don't have SD Slots, and if you don't have a 1TB (or, at least a 512) phone, you become limited in stoage, especially with the OS and myriad apps. Luckily, my 2nd phone is an S20 which still has a slot and with a 512GB card. I can't speak to Apple, have never owned an iPhone and never will - Android all the way. Access to cloud stored music and streaming services becomes nil when you're out of cell range, which I will be often, and where I plan to be taking my R1T.
The fact is that SD card is a relic of the past. It was originally used for navigation map files (replaced CDs that came before that). It's completely irrelevant now.

USB-C thumb drives are the modern replacement for music playback over SD. There is zero reason to include SD card hardware in an R1T when the USB-C port is already included. There's nothing the SD Card offers that USB-C doesn't.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The fact is that SD card is a relic of the past. It was originally used for navigation map files (replaced CDs that came before that). It's completely irrelevant now.

USB-C thumb drives are the modern replacement for music playback over SD. There is zero reason to include SD card hardware in an R1T when the USB-C port is already included. There's nothing the SD Card offers that USB-C doesn't.
Someone above stated that USB thumb drives are not currently usable for music playback. They're also an appendage which is easily damaged with the accidental bump or dropping something on them. SD cards sure aren't a relic of the past on MANY things like my Canon cameras. I guess I'm a relic since I still use them in my vehicles.

Last edited:

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
By the way - seems that the last OTA update fixed this issue. I can hear it kick on, but it seems like it has been calibrated down to not quite get to full power, which is much nicer.
Just picked up my truck last week, and this definitely stood out to me. I feel it in my feet and center console vibrates subtly. People have definitely asked what's that?! My other electric cars don't work as hard to create AC or they're at least better insulated for noise.

Kneel mode would be fantastic.

Lets fix Alexa already, all too often I get "sorry something went wrong". Maybe a dedicated Amazon Music application?

Valet/Slower acceleration mode?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Someone above stated that USB thumb drives are not currently usable for music playback. They're also an appendage which are easily damaged with the accidentally bump or dropping something on them. SD cards sure aren't a relic of the past on MANY things like my Canon cameras. I guess I'm a relic since I still use them in my vehicles.
I think you're twisting my words.

For purposes of automotive applications, SD cards are a relic of the past.

They are useful in handheld cameras.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just picked up my truck last week, and this definitely stood out to me. I feel it in my feet and center console vibrates subtly. People have definitely asked what's that?! My other electric cars don't work as hard to create AC or they're at least better insulated for noise.
I assume you already have the latest update? It's definitely still louder than I would prefer, but seems way better than previous. Maybe it's just relative to how unnervingly intrusive it was before the update.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s

Thumb drives in a car are a terrible idea. While thumb drive data rates are such they can be used in a semi-permanent setting, by their very form factor they are not meant for permanent mounting, much less in the busy environment of a car interior. SD card on the other hand is specifically meant to be mounted within a device for storage and retrieval.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
I assume you already have the latest update? It's definitely still louder than I would prefer, but seems way better than previous. Maybe it's just relative to how unnervingly intrusive it was before the update.
Haven't explicitly checked but was told at delivery I did indeed have the most up to date software.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Thumb drives in a car are a terrible idea. While thumb drive data rates are such they can be used in a semi-permanent setting, by their very form factor they are not meant for permanent mounting, much less in the busy environment of a car interior. SD card on the other hand is specifically meant to be mounted within a device for storage and retrieval.
Plot twist, you can buy thumb drives that are just adapters for for microSD cards, and many of them have only a very small part that sticks out from the port.

Rivian R1T R1S What do you want addressed in the next OTA update? BB083BF4-1D3D-4D70-BDDC-D5F2CEDAAFFF

Now everyone can be happy (assuming music via USB is ever implemented).
Sponsored