Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
My list is getting fairly long........

I LOVE the truck. So please don't take any of my comments as a negative. Simply suggestions towards perfection. I believe in shard customer feedback. If the company is interested in it, then possibly it can be of some benefit to all of us. I sent Rivian an e-mail as well. Or if they read the forums, will post here as well.

I speak from having experienced multiple Tesla's over the past 8+ years and having the luxury of owning BOTH, the Rivian and Ford Lighting

Rivian is treading a similar path to Tesla in many ways. I was along for that ride nearly from the beginning and am happy to be along for the ride with Rivian through its beginning.

But, having experienced both the Ford and Rivian, combined with coming from a Tesla, the following is just a simple wish list of improvements I hope to see in the near future. Some, hopefully in the VERY near future.

1. When Alexa speaks, it doesn't mute or lower the radio volume, as it does for phone or navigation. Thus, can't hear what she says if the radio is on. - "Fairly Urgent"

2. Navigation: Need "Way Points" in Navigation. Elon Musk stubbornly held out on these for the first 8 years before finally releasing them to the Tesla. Such a necessary thing for those that use their vehicles for more than just commuting to and from work. Feels like another dated Tesla playbook item that Tesla corrected, Hoping Rivian does as well and hopefully VERY SOON as it's an item desperately needed by anyone using their vehicles "for work" rather than just commuting to and from work. "Urgent"

2a: Navigation needs to be focused on GPS rather than defaulting first to cell signal. Get me directions first, then worry about adding traffic. Right now, it so desperately wants to search for cell service first, delaying the driving instructions by a LONG time, several minutes if no cell service. Again, directions first based on GPS data, then connect to cell service if available to provide traffic conditions. "VERY URGENT"​

3. No passive key fob? Really? Most $20,000 cars have this. Not all of us live with our phone at our hips. Key fob absolutely needs to auto unlock and lock the doors and allow you to drive without having to push the buttons. Another dated Tesla playbook item from the Model 3. One of the reasons I hated that car. Tesla again, corrected this issue and now offers passive key fobs for the Model 3/Y. Already did for the S&X. "Extremely Urgent"

4. Charging levels. Rivian gives you three choices. Almost every other EV allows you to set a specific charge level. The difference between 70% and 85% and 100% is pretty large. Should be able to set the percentage to an individual number anywhere in between. 70% is rarely enough. 85% often times is, but is still shy for many of my use cases. Being able to to 90% would be great. Often times, 80% is a good number too. A simple slider to the percentage the user needs would be perfect. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

5. Can't stop charging from the Rivian app. Maybe from the wall charger app (if you purchased the wall charger), but should be able to do this using the Truck app. "Fairly Urgent"

5a. Also can't change the charging level from the app. I've been charging to around 90% as that works best for me. Instead of being able to charge to 100%, then change the setting from the app, I have to go out to the truck to do it. #5 would be the better solution. #6 would be a secondary solution as well. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"​
5b. JUST DISCOVERED THIS, app needs to send charging notifications to you. When charge is completed. More importantly, if a charging session has been interrupted and vehicle stopped charging. I had this happen on my Tesla commonly and it does with the Rivian too, when the home AC kicks on, there's a power surge that EV's don't like. The Tesla would reset itself about 4 times before it stopped charging. It notified me of each interruption and more importantly, when it stopped charging. I'd then have to go unplug and plug back in. Just discovered the Rivian stopped charging. Expected to go out to a fully charged truck and it was far from it as it experienced one of the power surges and shut off. Had no clue since the app doesn't send notifications. "VERY URGENT".​

6. Need to allow for more UI (icon location) configuration. Plenty of space on the bottom row to add icons. Again, as Tesla has done, should be able to put your most commonly used items in that row so they're just one touch away, rather than multiple taps via sub-menu's. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

7. Need to allow more items to be displayed on the driver instrument cluster. Like the Tesla, should be able to display trip data, among other things. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

8. When leaving passive lock/unlock off at home (using phone as the key), the door handles stay open with the handle lights on 100% of the time. The lights should turn off. "Fairly Urgent"

9. App should have controls to open the Frunk, gear tunnel doors, tailgate, tonneau cover, windows. "Fairly Urgent"

9a. App should also allow for horn to be honked. Lights flashed. Allow it to be remotely started. "Fairly Urgent"​

10. Homelink to open garage door should be one touch away. Two steps is too many. Have to open homelink, then select "home" (or whatever you name it). The option to place the preferred on the main screen and just one-touch away would be much better. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

10a. Homelink, would be nice if it had the GPS based system that Tesla does, to automatically open/close the garage door when pulling up or leaving. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"​

11. Not all that important, but of note: Even the Ford has some entertainment items in its UI. Not bad to have when sitting for an hour at a charger. Would be nice if Rivian added something. Tesla has gone a bit extreme and not necessary, but a few, even basic sort of games or other items would be nice. Ford added 4 or 5 to it. A video function wouldn't be bad either. (Youtube app maybe? Or Netflix or Hulu?

12. Not sure if this can be fixed via software. Depends if there are sensors built in or not. If not, then this one is both, software and hardware. Like the Tesla Falcon Wing doors on the Model X, the tailgate and frunk should have sensors to insure that the space is clear for these to open. I fear I'm accidentally going to hit the tailgate button and it's going to slam into the metal framing on my garage door and dent and/or scratch it.

13. Edit to add another one: AC should not turn on simply because you unlock the doors. There are times when I need to leave it unlocked for a while at my location. Don't want to have to go inside to turn off the AC every time. Screens don't need to turn on either. Unlocking the doors should be JUST unlocking the doors. Open the door, then turn everything on.

14. Edit. Getting annoying that it defaults to the gear guard screen every time you get in the truck. Put a notification up there if you feel the need, but otherwise, leave me where I was and otherwise always am.

15. Edit. Please put a clock on the center driver display. Outside temp would be nice there too. Too distracting, especially while driving having to look all the way to the other side of the screen to get this info while driving. Time is something that should be front and center. Have to say, after coming from the pre-refresh Model S Raven and also having the Ford Lighting, SO much prefer a vertical screen layout. Things on the right side are just too far away and too distracting trying to take a quick glance while driving. The vertical layout gives you everything in easy view That can't be fixed via software obviously, but the clock can.

16. Edit: Maybe just my vehicle and phone combo, but I have to be right at the door before the door will unlock and it's often delayed by a few seconds. If others are having the same issue, needs better proximity sensors open it at least when you reach the hood or tailgate. Usually, I can get to the key fob faster than it opens with my phone.

17. Edit: Need separate controls for radio volume and Navigation volume. I have it set to loudest setting, but have notice when radio volume is down, navigation instruction volume is also down. The Tesla allows you set both independently of each other. I am missing half of the notifications because I hear nothing.

18. Edit: Fix the speedometer. Used a GPS and backed that up with Google maps. Speedo is off a whopping 3 miles per hour. Most are 1, maybe 2 MPH. Also makes me wonder, since it says I'm going faster, is it also counting miles faster? Next trip will compare actual versus what navigation or google maps say. Otherwise, adding 3 miles per hour to the odometer as well will add up over time.

19. Allow for a tire size selection in the Service menu. Tesla allows you to choose wheel sizes. Since Rivian's are sold with 33" and 34" tires, should be a selection in the menu's to insure you have the right tire size configured in your truck. Or, for those that might put custom wheels / tires on, would also be great to be able to enter the size tire you're running so the speedo can calibrate properly.

20. Why does it default to the camera screen every time I get into the truck? Leave it where I had it. Leave all settings where I had them. If I want to change them, I will change them. I already did change them for a reason, shouldn't have to go back and make the same changes over and over and over again!

21. And I'll join others in saying, yes, this phantom adjusting of ride heights for no reason does get a bit annoying kind of quick.

22. They need to set up plug and play accounts with multiple charging providers, so we can simply arrive, plug in and be done. Car gets recognized by the charger, bills the account accordingly. Only done it once and it is something I quickly miss from the Tesla. Cadillac has already announced they will be doing just this thing on the Lyric and other future EV's. Makes a ton of sense.

Many of these things are bringing up my old annoying memories of the Model 3. Hoping they fix most of this stuff soon. The Model 3 was short-lived in my garage with these types of things being a major reason. I hope the Rivian doesn't suffer the same fate.

OK, I'll stop there for now (after editing and adding 8 more items). Only a week into this thing. Some of the above I consider urgent. Other's are luxuries that would be nice. Many would help in making the truck DRIVER FRIENDLY. This was one of the big turnoffs of the Model 3 for me and why I went back to the pre-refresh Model S. Then Tesla incorporated 100% screen function into the refreshed Model S, more so than the Model 3. It's the primary reason, for the first time in 8 years, I no longer own a Tesla.

User friendliness is where I prefer the Ford as it has hard buttons for each instinctive use that you can feel, rather than having to look away to find these items on a screen. I get that's the way they wanted to go and that's fine, but at least improve the UI to make it as user friendly as possible. Especially for those like me that use their vehicle for work and are in and out of it 10+ times a day. Also much prefer the vertical screen. Can read it all easily at a quick glance. Trying to find things on the right side of the screen, like something a simple as the TIME, is a pain and not the safest.
Great List! #14 is my current biggest annoyance. (I also love love the truck). But I’d prefer that when gear guard has videos to display, it gives me the option but when I just shift into drove or reverse instead of touching the screen, the truck should know I just want or drive so go back to prior screen that was displayed (usually Nav for me).

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
Sorry if this is already mentioned - if the tailgate is down, let me see out the rear from the gear guard camera above the bed when in reverse instead of looking at the tailgate from the normal low rear view cam.

NorskBoy

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 diesel, sold the BMW
Occupation
Contractor
I just hope with the next OTA they will FINALLY enable access to the frunk by some method other than a decades-old hood latch.

Oh wait...that was my favorite Mach E complaint. I fixed that one myself by buying an R1T 😄
But wouldn’t it be nice if the escape button also closed the Frunk. As long as we are solving first world problems.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
But wouldn’t it be nice if the escape button also closed the Frunk. As long as we are solving first world problems.
We’re talking about updates to an electric pickup truck. Everything in this thread is a first world problem 😆

Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
While in highway driver assist mode the screen will not let me adjust ride height or mode. I have to turn off driver assist. If I am looking at the screen then I want the truck to be doing the driving. This is an immediate safety issue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'd like to see the app do some useful things such as allowing the user to start, stop and schedule a charge and control the amps, display volts and amps during the charge and the kWh transferred since starting the charge. I'd like it to allow the user to set cabin temperature when there is no one in the car and or turn off A/C. It's also handy to be able to flash lights and toot the horn from the app and to see where the vehicle is (address and map display).

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I’ve got a lot of wants, but I’d really like to see:

1. Weather / Radar Map
2. A button that just flat out shuts the truck off like pressing the lock button on the fob or phone. I always park in a garage and usually like to keep the fob in the truck with the window down. I don’t like having to lock it every time I want the fans and all to shut down

3. Not OTA related, but seriously could the service tickets at least acknowledge they’re being worked? Come on, just a brief update that the request was received and we’re working on it would suffice. Zero insight into service ticket status.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
see where the vehicle is (address and map display).
You can have it show you where the vehicle is. It doesn't display it's location 'in app' but it does take you to your default map app.

Sponsored

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Mercedes 350GL, HD CVO Breakout
Occupation
Dentist
Support for Hormann garage door openers. Automatic climate control off when charging at home.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don’t have my Rivian yet so not 100% sure this doesn’t already exist. I‘d like a UI toggle for “Display steering wheel button labels” or similar. Turning this on provides labels for the steering wheel controls on the display in front of the driver so you can see at a glance what each button and scroll wheel does. I picture these being in the lower corners of the driver‘s display.

I suspect that Tesla drivers may find this unnecessary, and I would probably turn it off after getting familiar with the unlabeled controls. Still, if I owned the Rivian for years and then finally towed something for the first time, it might be handy to see how the trailer brake controller worked. If I’m towing for the first time I don’t necessarily need to be stressing out over navigating traffic with a trailer while also trying to remember which unlabeled control does what.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

1. Add at least (1) none 1-pedal mode
2. Retract drivers seat to a selected home position when exiting the truck.
3. Add Regen, Drive mode, ride firmness, primary driver to User settings.
4. Have the cameras come on automatically when entering garage and when parking.
5. Add Disable Vehicle, 360 Photo, Charging schedule, Charging limits, Defrost, Valet mode, activate horn and lights, climate settings and schedule.
6. Kneeling mode.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A couple things I'd like to see improved or added (among many of the others mentioned):
1. One-pedal breaking behavior is a bit inconsistent when reversing at a slow speed. It may just be when going down a slight hill, but I feel like a kid learning how to drive with a stick shift when exiting my driveway half the time.
2. Allowing height adjustment with driver+ features on
3. An "out and back" button on the nav.
4. Fixing the preconditioning logic so that if it fails when routing to a charger that it resets when navigating to another location or at least once you have charged. Currently if it fails preconditioning, it won't try preconditioning again until the truck falls asleep.
Sponsored