First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Used our truck to help some friends demo an old pathway. I threw down some old plywood prior to loading as not to totally screw up the bed.

Anyone who says they don't notice that much extra mass in a vehicle isn't paying attention. I will say, it handled it like a champ, the air suspension took an extra moment to come back up from kneel mode to standard, but it leveled out and drove far better than I exoected. I also found sport-stiff-low to be a good stable platform. I didn't try tow mode, not sure why honestly.

As much as I really wanted to do a followup 0-60 test, I couldn't bring myself to going full dumbass with that much weight. I will say, it still had plenty of get up and go, while still providing a very predictable deceleration curve via regen.

What was hilarious was most of my coworkers either drive full or mid sized trucks, and each one gave me the "what the eff are you doing to that truck?!?!" comment, but at the end, came away more impressed it wasn't just a pretend truck.

20230511_195737.jpg

IMG-20230512-WA0003.jpg

20230512_100433.jpg

20230511_115748.jpg

20230511_115723.jpg
Yeah, it's definitely not unnoticeable, and I too found 'stiff' suspension to provide a superior driving experience with a yard of clay in the bed...
Sponsored

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S What do you use your R1T bed for?  (Picture Edition) IMG_1375

Got this notification for the first time today when a plastic bin I had in the back slid at a stop sign. It is accompanied by an annoying consistenct chime that will not turn off until you open the tailgate. I tried putting it in park, opening my door, pressing steering wheel buttons but the only thing that made the dinging stop and the message go away was opening tailgate.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
IMG_1375.jpeg

Got this notification for the first time today when a plastic bin I had in the back slid at a stop sign. It is accompanied by an annoying consistenct chime that will not turn off until you open the tailgate. I tried putting it in park, opening my door, pressing steering wheel buttons but the only thing that made the dinging stop and the message go away was opening tailgate.
GD @csharp, how many times do we have to tell you? You’re supposed to whack the guy BEFORE you put him into the bed.

Sponsored

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Don't have my workbench or sawhorses with me, but the crossbars do a pretty bang up job in a pinch!

PXL_20230514_182108841.jpg
I did the same thing with my Ridgeline. Would set the chop saw, drill press, whatever on the tailgate. Beauty of that set up was, most of the dust blew into the bed, so clean up was pretty easy (drive away). Can't quite bring myself to do that on my Rivian just yet. Too new....

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

IMG_1375.jpeg

Interesting. Object detection in bed is not a feature I was aware of. Did I miss this in the manual?

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
IMG_1375.jpeg

I am surprised I haven't gotten that message yet. It is crazy how easily things slide on that bed. Hopefully my new cargo mat will fix some of that sliding.

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting. Object detection in bed is not a feature I was aware of. Did I miss this in the manual?
I suspect it hit hard enough to make the latch sensor open momentarily. You'll get the same thing from the gear tunnel.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I suspect it hit hard enough to make the latch sensor open momentarily. You'll get the same thing from the gear tunnel.
I was thinking the same thing except it hit the front of the bed, not the tailgate. I also didnt open the tailgate to load the bin (its the size of a shoebox) and only weighs about 10 pounds.